Attn Des Nolan - Awning question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Thumbs up

Hi Des,

I couldn't help but notice that your trailer picture in your profile seems to have the awning support poles attached to the side of the trailer rather than sitting on the ground. I am interested in doing that with my 74 Boler, but I have been wondering whether it would stress the sides of the trailer too much. How did you do it, and how has it worked out for you?

(Maybe this post should be moved to a modifications forum, but I don't know how to do that)

Thanks,
Rick G in Edmonton
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
Hi Des,

I couldn't help but notice that your trailer picture in your profile seems to have the awning support poles attached to the side of the trailer rather than sitting on the ground. I am interested in doing that with my 74 Boler, but I have been wondering whether it would stress the sides of the trailer too much. How did you do it, and how has it worked out for you?

(Maybe this post should be moved to a modifications forum, but I don't know how to do that)

Thanks,
Rick G in Edmonton
Hi Rick,

That support arrangement was on the trailer when we bought it. It works just great, however, when rain threatens I do use my paint-roller extension as a support and lower one corner, for rain run-off.

The support is a heavy aluminium angle, with a slot, blind-riveted through the body. A few years back an anxious kid backed into us on the run and clipped a bracket right off. Knowing a replacement might prove impossible to get, I spent many minutes finding it on the roadside, and many more bending it back into shape. It is now bolted on with a bracket behind.

If there is a next time, (heaven forbid), it will tear out a chunk rather than just widen the holes.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with this.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Hi Rick,

That support arrangement was on the trailer when we bought it. It works just great, however, when rain threatens I do use my paint-roller extension as a support and lower one corner, for rain run-off.

The support is a heavy aluminium angle, with a slot, blind-riveted through the body. A few years back an anxious kid backed into us on the run and clipped a bracket right off. Knowing a replacement might prove impossible to get, I spent many minutes finding it on the roadside, and many more bending it back into shape. It is now bolted on with a bracket behind.

If there is a next time, (heaven forbid), it will tear out a chunk rather than just widen the holes.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with this.

Des
Great, thanks for your thoughts. I looked at our trailer last night and it occurred to me that the front door would only open to the awning support instead of all the way if we put one of those one, so now I am not sure. More thought is required.
Thanks,
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote