Axle Input - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I'd like to go with a Flexiride axle due to advantages such as adjustable angle and replaceable spindles. Has anyone swapped their stock axle for a Flexiride? I've read that the arms have a different profile and may be difficult to fit into the wheel wells.

I know that leading arm configurations are no long "supported", but I am not convinced on trailing arm conversion for one reason; The centre of gravity changes, leaving the heavy weight items like the battery and water tank quite a distance rear of the axle.

I'd like to hear some input from members who have, or have researched, replacing their axle.
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I believe that Jean L or someone in his family has replaced an axle using the Flexride. I'll give him a heads up to your thread.

As for the center of gravity. If you keep the center of the wheel in the same position from front to rear the center of gravity will be the same. The wheel position is what determines the center of gravity. The flexride has a shorter arm which will move the wheel back a bit if installed in the leading arm configuration.

I explain how I switched from a leading arm to a trailing arm in this lengthy post.

Yes I did consider using a flexride in trailing arm. Final decision was based on what worked best for heights, positioning, tires etc. to meet my needs. You should note that both Flexride and Dexter have differing recomended start angles. Those affect your height (more) and position of the spindle (less).

I question wanting to replace a single torsion unit on the flexride. IMO unless there are extenuating circumstances if it is time to replace one, you most likely need to replace both or the entire axle. Whatever you do, consider the benifits of using the bolt on brackets for either axle.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I believe that Jean L or someone in his family has replaced an axle using the Flexride. I'll give him a heads up to your thread.

As for the center of gravity. If you keep the center of the wheel in the same position from front to rear the center of gravity will be the same. The wheel position is what determines the center of gravity. The flexride has a shorter arm which will move the wheel back a bit if installed in the leading arm configuration.

I explain how I switched from a leading arm to a trailing arm in this lengthy post.

Yes I did consider using a flexride in trailing arm. Final decision was based on what worked best for heights, positioning, tires etc. to meet my needs. You should note that both Flexride and Dexter have differing recomended start angles. Those affect your height (more) and position of the spindle (less).

I question wanting to replace a single torsion unit on the flexride. IMO unless there are extenuating circumstances if it is time to replace one, you most likely need to replace both or the entire axle. Whatever you do, consider the benifits of using the bolt on brackets for either axle.
Thanks for the input, Roy. I have your thread bookmarked and have gathered lots of great information from it.

I thought that the location of the axle would determine the centre of gravity because that's where the load of the trailer rests. I guess it is more complicated than that. That makes me comfortable with switching to a trailing arm setup.

Jean PM'd me and offered to send some pictures of his install. They should help out. Initially, I am thinking of blocking the frame with the same size rectangular tubing to allow for the axle to mount below the dropped floor. I may go with wider tubing to better support the mounting bracket. Either way, I will definitely go with a bolt on configuration.

I'll have to play with the numbers and see where my wheel will set at various start angles. I'm looking to gain some height as I travel to some fairly remote locations over some rough trails.
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I'd like to go with a Flexiride axle due to advantages such as adjustable angle and replaceable spindles.
Brian BP has corrected me offline. I forgot that a single arm and spindle are replaceable separately from the torsion unit in the flexride. There are instances where one might want to replace the arm / spindle unit separately.

My apologies.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle