Axle inspection in Massachusetts? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #15

Name: Bill and Jacquie G.
Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Oregon
Registry
Randy - - - Good evening from Eugene, OR. Bill here.

First things first!!! Thank You Roy!!!!!

Roy has been one of our long time trusted "Quality" contributors to this forum. The fact that he has a twin to your Trill leaves little room for the rest of Eggsentrics to contribute _ _ _ _ _ _ _ but, we may barge in and ask "what size tires-n-wheels yu wanna run?"

The axle replacement gives you the opportunity to make some upgrades that weren't available with the old axles. You will join the rest of us as you learn a new language.

You do want a #10 Dexter axle: it comes with 10 X 2 1/4" electric brakes, and is rated 2300 - 3500 LBS. capacity, "E-Z Lube" lubricating system, and Side Mount Hangers. Ask your supply/install people to explain and show you on your trailer, the advantages of the High Profile or the Low Profile brackets. Brackets are welded to the axle as it is being made and CANNOT be changed. (if you are going to do a lot of off-road stuff, the High Profile will give .75" more clearance.) Articulation Dimension:
hang down angle of the trailing arm. Must allow 3" bump clearance from foll load.

Go to the DEXTER AXLE site. They have the answers. Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - HOME

We have a '78 1300 Trillium that came to us with a broken frame and a worn-out axle. TEN YEARS ago we went though this process and we have lived Happily-Ever-After!!!!!!

Hafta go. Jacquie just took cinnamon rolls out of the oven. ; - ) !!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #16

Name: Bill and Jacquie G.
Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Oregon
Registry
The data I posted came from the latest Dexter Axle specs and not from our order ten years ago. :-0 We have a wonderfully talented and trusting ;- ) Dexter distributor here in Eugene,OR. For the last eight years they have "schooled" me in the BASICS of the Dexter suspensions, provided printed matter,and trusted me with their powered Show Room model of a Torflex Axle System. All of this is shared at the Oregon Gathering, every year. There is no such thing as a dumb question. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #17

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
It has ST17580R13 tires on it. Based on my pics would you say that what I have is stock and is the low profile? I don't think I need any more clearance because I do not go anywhere that is rough terrain,so the stock set up should be fine. I will order the axle with all the parts I need as well as the bracket that allows the next axle to be just bolted on. I called a place that can weld on the axles but they do not sell them so I think I will have to order them myself. As soon as I finish the belly band fill and rear window reinstall I will do the axle and replace the the old coupler with a new one. Randy
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Registry
So these would be the specs I need to tell Dexter when ordering the axle? Taken from the Trillium site.
Trailing Arm
0 Starting Angle
48" OS Brackets
67" Track - Wheel C/L (hub face)
Brake Flanges
2,500 lb. (Revised Capacity)
5 x 4.5 Hubs
In a #10 axle
I would also need to add the 10x 2 1/4" electric brakes
EZ LUBE lubricating system
LOW PROFILE(is this correct based on my pics and intended use?) side mount hangers
AND some sort of extra brackets that allow me to basically bolt the axles on so I can swap them easily the next time? Or do these "extra special" bolt on brackets replace the side mount brackets? I am assuming these weld on and the side mount brackets have holes in them for the bolts to go through?
Am I forgetting anything or do I have something wrong in what I am saying. Again I appreciate all the hlp. Randy
Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Bill, I should be thanking you. Then again you kept those cinnamon rolls all to yourself.

Randy,

Dexter recommends a 10 down if possible, the brackets you have now look higher than Dexters high lift.

I believe the "side mount hangers" are the "extra special" bolt on bracket, also called the AP mount or ...

Any shop worth their salt will want to see and measure yours before ordering. If they order based on your specs and it does not fit, it is your responsibility.

Things happen. Paul Neumeister that does a lot of axles on bolers up here, has his numbers down pat, yet had a few axles for the same trailer come in that were off a year or so ago. Whether that was a supplier problem or build problem or labelling problem, who knows? But the axles had to be reordered.

Get a good grasp on the charts in the Dexter specs as to ride height and angles. Go out and measure yours a few times and compare them.

The diagrams and ordering chart here might help you see things from a different perspective.
http://www.cerka.ca/Torflex_order_form.pdf
and there is some more info here
Trailer Axles Torflex and Spring

I recall we had to do a little adaptation to get the Dexter to fit on my Trillium 4500. If we wanted to keep the front to rear orientation of the spindle in the exact same position we had to notch the frame a bit or shorten the brackets. I think the brackets were about 1/4" or so longer. So learn your bracket dimensions.

Look at your pictures P1010059.JPG and P1010060.JPG, that is where we had the problem. The extra thickness of the bolt on brackets made it a little more difficult to fix the problem. We were able to easily work around it.
You might want to measure that on yours and compare it to Dexters specs.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #20

Ontario
P1010057.JPG shows where someone has welded your axle to the outside of the problem piece. We measured ours to line up exactly to the frame and encountered this overlap problem.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #21

Massachusetts
Registry
I think I will have to call the place and make sure they are capable of doing the work. I can swing it by and show them any concerns I have before leaving it with them. I have sent out some other emails to rv places a little further away just in case. Thanks Randy
Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #22

Massachusetts
Registry
Well I am still waiting for a callback. There is a place I am trying to take it to. I have called twice. And apparently the person who is doing the work is too busy to get back to me. I have been talking to his secratary? Wife? I dunno. But the fact that she said that there was 2 Dexter Torsion axles there on the floor waiting to be put on the trailers he is working is promising. I am not sure how much room they have to actually work on the camper though. She kept asking how big the trailer was. I do not know if they have a height limit to where they are working or length. But I told her I would swing it by Saturday to get an answer if and when they could do it. Since it is only about 2 miles from where I am working on it now. Fingers crossed. Randy
Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #23

Name: Karl in Elmira ON
Trailer: Boler 1300-76
Ontario
Registry
How do you know you should replace a torflex axle?

Hey Guys I have a question, and I'm not sure it's answered anywhere else in this forum (I'm a noob - just got a 76 Boler )...

I noticed Gumpit asked a similar question (I ended up here via a search), but not sure it got answered. How do you tell if your axle is shot and should be replaced? If I look at my axle, it would look like the following sketch...

This is pretty true to life. If I jump in the trailer I seem to get some movement but not much (possibly cuz i'm not beefy nuf?!) I'm in Ontario and have spoken to Paul Neumeister (thanks to all for pointing out a handy neighbour), but I didn't think to ask him the same question on the phone.

If I should be posting else - let me know - not trying to hijack a thread, but thought it was related.

EDIT: Paul seemed to think I'd need a #9 Torflex axle and that it was likely that's whats in it now.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #24

Ontario
If you can see the "square outline" of the torsion axle center from the welds on the torsion arm. It should be at a 45 degree offset to the axle tube with the weight off the trailer. (a diamond within a square)

Other than that, I describe a few other tell tale signs in my axle swap post. Much of the information still applies even if you are not considering changing a leading arm axle to a trailing arm. Although your diagram indicates you have a bolt on trailing arm, so my guess is that your axle may have been replaced already. Neither trailing or bolt on were original.

A 2200 Lb. Dexter Torflex #9 should do you.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
They make great trailer suspension replacements that use a torsion system our old trailer used them just get one with correct weight for your unit or you will not like the ride.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #26

Name: Karl in Elmira ON
Trailer: Boler 1300-76
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
If you can see the "square outline" of the torsion axle center from the welds on the torsion arm. It should be at a 45 degree offset to the axle tube with the weight off the trailer. (a diamond within a square)

A 2200 Lb. Dexter Torflex #9 should do you.
Thanks Roy! I didn't think of look at the welds - of course (duh!). My diagram is off of course as I had no clue at the time I did it. I'll check that out right away. Great post BTW I will try the bumper-jump test. I do see my whitewalls if look square on so maybe it's not that bad, but when I found curtain rods had come off during the trip home (with not that many bumps) I thought right-away about the axle.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
My 2009 Scamp curtain rods came off coming home from the factory, so I wouldn't use that as a indicator.

BTW I use small tie wraps to hold the rods on.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
Thanks Roy! I didn't think of look at the welds - of course (duh!). My diagram is off of course as I had no clue at the time I did it. I'll check that out right away. Great post BTW I will try the bumper-jump test. I do see my whitewalls if look square on so maybe it's not that bad, but when I found curtain rods had come off during the trip home (with not that many bumps) I thought right-away about the axle.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #28

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
I will second that not to mention they eventually bow from the bouncing. I put a small adhesive hook in the middle of the back window and tie the rods down.