Axle inspection in Massachusetts? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
Axle inspection in Massachusetts?

Is there a place in Massachusetts that I can take my camper(1978 Trillium
4500) to have my axle,frame,tongue ect inspected and repaired if necessary... I love my new camper. However, I want to make sure my
trailer is up to par. I am in Natick which is halfway between Boston and
Worcester. Thanks Randy
Gumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Any trailer shop should do for the frame and axle. The fact that you have a camper on it, makes little difference. Just make sure they are familiar with Dexter Torsion Axles.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Any trailer shop should do for the frame and axle. The fact that you have a camper on it, makes little difference. Just make sure they are familiar with Dexter Torsion Axles.
Is this a Dexter Torsion Axle?
Attached Thumbnails
P1010047.JPG   P1010048.JPG  

P1010049.JPG   P1010050.JPG  

P1010051.JPG   P1010052.JPG  

P1010053.JPG   P1010054.JPG  

P1010055.JPG   P1010056.JPG  

Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Registry
The rust isnt as bad as it looks. I can easily use a wire brush and repaint it.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010057.JPG   P1010058.JPG  

P1010059.JPG   P1010060.JPG  

Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
Is this a Dexter Torsion Axle?
Yes, a Torsion axle... maybe a Dexter or could be an Al-Ko
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #6

Wow!
All those pics really show the results of weight and torsion on the axles.
You can really see the positive camber on the axle tubes and the negative camber on the spindles. Unless this is an abberation from the camera and/or lens, I'm thinking it's time for a new axle.
http://www.desertrides.com/reference...rms/camber.gif

I'm wondering if this is the problem the Scamp groups are experiencing with tire wear?

Is there a sticker or name anywhere on the axle that might give a clue as to the manufacturer?

If not, somebody at Dexter might be able to tell from the pictures of the mounting brackets.
Current model Dexters have an attachment at both sides of the bracket to the tube on their current models. Look at the high profile bracket diagrams here:
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...nformation.pdf
They don't look the same as yours.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #7

Gumpit,

I'd like to correct my initial comment. Just make sure the trailer shop is familiar with torsion axles. Dexter or otherwise. The design and principles are similar between brands.

Here are Dexter dealers in MA. They might be able to recommend a shop that is close. TrilliumRV has the replacement axle specs listed on their site. They suggest Dexter yet call the axle a Rubber Ride which might be a slip on the Ingersoll Rub-R-Ride (or similar named) axle that I've seen posted in a number of places.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #8

Massachusetts
Registry
I couldn't see a sticker anywhere on the axle. I thank you for the information. I hope at least one of the places is still in business. One site was advertising the new catalog "2006". I hope they do the work as well as the sale. I would love to drop it off and have a new axle installed so I don't have to worry for a while when I get it all back together. It does seem to go down the road well though,so I can at least drive it to where it needs to go to be repaired. Randy
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #9

For the extra few $$ get the "bolt on" brackets. They are an extra "L" shaped bracket that gets welded onto the frame when the axle is bolted to it. Next time all one has to do is order the same axle and bolt it on. No welding. If only all the trailer manufacturers did this in the beginning.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #10

What is that I see stuck up in between the torsion arm and the frame on your pictures P1010052.JPG and P1010055.JPG ?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Registry
I think it is just a piece of the insulation that sits on top of the frame between the frame and fiberglass. I hope to be able to get this all done with one stop shopping. If I have to buy the components and take it elsewhere to get welded. I certainly will get everything to make it easier the next time. How long do these axles usually last? Is there a "heavy duty" or superior one to get that lasts any longer? Or do you just buy the one for the recommended weight so it rides well? Thanks Randy
Old 11-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #12

I forget what the Trillium site says. You want to cover the weight of your trailer with tanks filled plus regular camping gear and a few hundred extra pounds.
I know I put a # 10 on mine, I can look up the specs, but I want to say 2500 Lbs.

I remeber talking to a Dexter engineer who said seeing as we typically tow our trailers near full capacity, going the few hundred extra pounds will not affect ride. He was comparing our trailers to a utility trailer that experiences a wider range of weights. Too heavy an axle on an empty light trailer will give a rough ride because the rubber never gets a chance to work.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Registry
I will try calling the sites tomorrow to see if they do the install as well as sell the axle. Are there any parts from the old axle I can use or do I need to order all new parts? Randy
Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #14

It is cost effective to buy everything new preassembled, bearing in mind the cost of labour swapping from old to new. Ask the people doing the job to make sure.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Randy - - - Good evening from Eugene, OR. Bill here.

First things first!!! Thank You Roy!!!!!

Roy has been one of our long time trusted "Quality" contributors to this forum. The fact that he has a twin to your Trill leaves little room for the rest of Eggsentrics to contribute _ _ _ _ _ _ _ but, we may barge in and ask "what size tires-n-wheels yu wanna run?"

The axle replacement gives you the opportunity to make some upgrades that weren't available with the old axles. You will join the rest of us as you learn a new language.

You do want a #10 Dexter axle: it comes with 10 X 2 1/4" electric brakes, and is rated 2300 - 3500 LBS. capacity, "E-Z Lube" lubricating system, and Side Mount Hangers. Ask your supply/install people to explain and show you on your trailer, the advantages of the High Profile or the Low Profile brackets. Brackets are welded to the axle as it is being made and CANNOT be changed. (if you are going to do a lot of off-road stuff, the High Profile will give .75" more clearance.) Articulation Dimension:
hang down angle of the trailing arm. Must allow 3" bump clearance from foll load.

Go to the DEXTER AXLE site. They have the answers. Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - HOME

We have a '78 1300 Trillium that came to us with a broken frame and a worn-out axle. TEN YEARS ago we went though this process and we have lived Happily-Ever-After!!!!!!

Hafta go. Jacquie just took cinnamon rolls out of the oven. ; - ) !!!!!!!!!!
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
The data I posted came from the latest Dexter Axle specs and not from our order ten years ago. :-0 We have a wonderfully talented and trusting ;- ) Dexter distributor here in Eugene,OR. For the last eight years they have "schooled" me in the BASICS of the Dexter suspensions, provided printed matter,and trusted me with their powered Show Room model of a Torflex Axle System. All of this is shared at the Oregon Gathering, every year. There is no such thing as a dumb question. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Registry
It has ST17580R13 tires on it. Based on my pics would you say that what I have is stock and is the low profile? I don't think I need any more clearance because I do not go anywhere that is rough terrain,so the stock set up should be fine. I will order the axle with all the parts I need as well as the bracket that allows the next axle to be just bolted on. I called a place that can weld on the axles but they do not sell them so I think I will have to order them myself. As soon as I finish the belly band fill and rear window reinstall I will do the axle and replace the the old coupler with a new one. Randy
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Registry
So these would be the specs I need to tell Dexter when ordering the axle? Taken from the Trillium site.
Trailing Arm
0° Starting Angle
48" OS Brackets
67" Track - Wheel C/L (hub face)
Brake Flanges
2,500 lb. (Revised Capacity)
5 x 4.5 Hubs
In a #10 axle
I would also need to add the 10x 2 1/4" electric brakes
EZ LUBE lubricating system
LOW PROFILE(is this correct based on my pics and intended use?) side mount hangers
AND some sort of extra brackets that allow me to basically bolt the axles on so I can swap them easily the next time? Or do these "extra special" bolt on brackets replace the side mount brackets? I am assuming these weld on and the side mount brackets have holes in them for the bolts to go through?
Am I forgetting anything or do I have something wrong in what I am saying. Again I appreciate all the hlp. Randy
Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #19

Bill, I should be thanking you. Then again you kept those cinnamon rolls all to yourself.

Randy,

Dexter recommends a 10 down if possible, the brackets you have now look higher than Dexters high lift.

I believe the "side mount hangers" are the "extra special" bolt on bracket, also called the AP mount or ...

Any shop worth their salt will want to see and measure yours before ordering. If they order based on your specs and it does not fit, it is your responsibility.

Things happen. Paul Neumeister that does a lot of axles on bolers up here, has his numbers down pat, yet had a few axles for the same trailer come in that were off a year or so ago. Whether that was a supplier problem or build problem or labelling problem, who knows? But the axles had to be reordered.

Get a good grasp on the charts in the Dexter specs as to ride height and angles. Go out and measure yours a few times and compare them.

The diagrams and ordering chart here might help you see things from a different perspective.
http://www.cerka.ca/Torflex_order_form.pdf
and there is some more info here
Trailer Axles Torflex and Spring

I recall we had to do a little adaptation to get the Dexter to fit on my Trillium 4500. If we wanted to keep the front to rear orientation of the spindle in the exact same position we had to notch the frame a bit or shorten the brackets. I think the brackets were about 1/4" or so longer. So learn your bracket dimensions.

Look at your pictures P1010059.JPG and P1010060.JPG, that is where we had the problem. The extra thickness of the bolt on brackets made it a little more difficult to fix the problem. We were able to easily work around it.
You might want to measure that on yours and compare it to Dexters specs.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #20

P1010057.JPG shows where someone has welded your axle to the outside of the problem piece. We measured ours to line up exactly to the frame and encountered this overlap problem.