Axle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Axle replacement and brakes topics lately have me thinking about our own trailer situation, old sagging and without brakes.I spoke to a local Dexter axle dealer and he said I should also consider Flexiride axle, as the spindles are on a spline and adjustable. They stock axle spindles which are replaceable if one ever becomes damaged, price for the 2000 lb. axle is $667.00 with 7 in. brakes. Has any one had experience with the axle or own one ?Just thought I would change mine in the new year before putting some miles on.

Happy Holidays
Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I don't have any experience with them, but I did see them on a boat trailer and it looked like a good idea. One can adjust the suspension up or down to get more or less ground clearance, put on larger tires/wheels, etc.

OTOH, they seem a bit expensive (but I don't know what that dealer would charge for the same axle (brakes, etc.) from Dexter. The markup can be fierce through a dealer, as I found out...

If there is a Redneck Trailer Supply reasonably close, you might want to check if they carry Flexi; they seem to have the best current prices for Dexter.

Definitely, the least expensive way to acquire the brake stuf is to get it with a new axle.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
When I checked on prices a while ago the Dexter axle alone was $350 plus $100 shipping to my area. I could see the Flxi costing a little more. Then, if you add to that labor to take off the old axle and weld on the new one, I could see $667 being reasonable.

So does the cost quoted include installation labor?
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Axle replacement and brakes topics lately have me thinking about our own trailer situation, old sagging and without brakes.I spoke to a local Dexter axle dealer and he said I should also consider Flexiride axle, as the spindles are on a spline and adjustable. They stock axle spindles which are replaceable if one ever becomes damaged, price for the 2000 lb. axle is $667.00 with 7 in. brakes. Has any one had experience with the axle or own one ?Just thought I would change mine in the new year before putting some miles on.

Happy Holidays
Brad
The adjustable angle would certainly be a good idea, but I have a 13.5 Bigfoot which is very close to the Boler in size and weight and the 7" brakes are almost useless compared to 10" I've used on 13' Trilliums. If you can get 10" don't hesitate.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Selected results from a search of the forum for "flexiride":
Flexiride Axles
$2000-2500 Axle Replacement?, need advice
I'm surprised there weren't more relevant matches... maybe try "flexi ride".

I agree that larger brakes should be considered, and at least one 13' Trillium owner reports using 10" brakes... which normally means selecting an axle of 2200-3500 lb capacity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #6

Usually, the 13' trailers use a Dexter #9 axle (or equivalent from other manf) and the hub is set up for 7" brakes. The #10 axle, typically used on 16' - 19' trailers, uses the 10" brakes, and the BulgeMobile trailers may use even larger axles with 12" brakes.

I believe that 10" brake parts are less expensive than the 7", probably due to them being most common in the trailer world.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I agree that larger brakes should be considered, and at least one 13' Trillium owner reports using 10" brakes... which normally means selecting an axle of 2200-3500 lb capacity.

I disagree that you should consider larger brakes. About 4 months ago I redid the brakes on a Trillium 4500 that I had as there was about 4 pounds of grease in the brake assemblys. I could stop my PU just with the new 7 inch brakes on the Trillium. If I wanted to I could have locked the trailer wheels and worn flat spots on the tires. I have a 13' Scamp that I bought several months ago and the brakes were all rusted together. I did a complete brake repalcement on the Scamp. Again I can lock the brakes up and wear flat spots on the tires as the 7" brakes are more than adequate. My brake controller is at a minimum setting.
You want an axel rated for the WEIGHT of your trailer.
It is my opinion, based on my experience, that bigger is just a waste of money in this instance.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1300 Boler
Quote:

Happy Holidays
Brad
Hello Brad I see you are from cloverdale and was wondering who your local dexter dealer is,the reason i ask is cause I'm in chilliwack and didn't get a quote as good as yours,maybe I just need to get a second opinion.Thanks...............J
Jason Goward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....Jason you might want to chat with Reace over at Escape Trailers. He's also a member of our board here and pipes in from time to time and has had years of experience with smaller sized eggs as well. He is a great source of info.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
If you don't mind doing the work, I can provide the axle and probably with the best price in the area. I receive a shipment of Dexter axles every month. I will need some specific measurements when ordering. Email me at info@escapetrailer.com if interested.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1300 Boler
Quote:
....Jason you might want to chat with Reace over at Escape Trailers. He's also a member of our board here and pipes in from time to time and has had years of experience with smaller sized eggs as well. He is a great source of info.
Thanks Doug will do that.
Jason Goward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Thanks Doug will do that.
Hello everyone, sorry I'm so late in answering back, two weeks out of town was nice! The flexi axle cost did not include installation but the fellow said if I remember correctly 4-5 hours @47.00 a/h..... seemed pretty fair to me.He did recommend the 3500 pound axle because of the 10in brakes but as commented before may be overkill in my opinion as well and cost is $789.43 The company I phoned was called K&G Axle Co. in Burnaby. Maybe these axles are a bit pricey but just considering all options.Hmmmm

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #13

The brakes are the expensive option.

Anyone who doesn't get brakes with an axle should nonetheless be SURE to get the brake flange anyway (about $3) so that brakes can be added later by self or subsequent owner. Flanges can only be installed in original manf on Dexter and Al-Ko. Dunno about Flexi.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
If anyone is interested in doing the work....I can provide the axle.

Dexter 2000 lb torflex without brakes......$188.30
Dexter 2000 lb torflex with brakes..........$319.90

Prices are in Canadian $ and do not include taxes.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle