Axle replacement in S. Ontario - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
If you've had an axle replaced in S. ON. Who did you use and would you recommend them? Costs?

Thanks,
Roy
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joe MacDonald's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Posts: 753
Quote:
If you've had an axle replaced in S. ON. Who did you use and would you recommend them? Costs?

Thanks,
Roy
I bought my new axle from Cerka in Milton, they built the axle to my specs, and I installed it myself, It was just a bolt on.

If you Call them I'm sure they might be able to help you out, Ask for Joe Ribau.

I can't remember the exact price, but it was under 300.00 for a 3500 pound axle with easy-lube bearings, and brakes
__________________

__________________
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
I bought my new axle from Cerka in Milton, they built the axle to my specs, and I installed it myself, It was just a bolt on.

If you Call them I'm sure they might be able to help you out, Ask for Joe Ribau.

I can't remember the exact price, but it was under 300.00 for a 3500 pound axle with easy-lube bearings, and brakes
Thank you Joe!

They are about 1/2 hour from me, could not be better

Roy
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Roy, the Boler/Scamp/Casita axles are normally welded on (I think Casita may now be bolting theirs on, but am not sure), not bolted on. I recommend you consult with your axle guys to see if they can weld on the bracket that Dexter sells and then bolt the axle to the bracket -- If you then ever need to change your axle again, you could do it yourself.

If you don't get brakes (ordering axle with brakes equipped is least expensive way to get brakes), be sure to at least have the axle equipped with brake flanges (about $3!!!) -- Without the flanges welded on at the factory before the rubber goes in, it's not possible to add brakes.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Roy, the Boler/Scamp/Casita axles are normally welded on (I think Casita may now be bolting theirs on, but am not sure), not bolted on. I recommend you consult with your axle guys to see if they can weld on the bracket that Dexter sells and then bolt the axle to the bracket -- If you then ever need to change your axle again, you could do it yourself.

If you don't get brakes (ordering axle with brakes equipped is least expensive way to get brakes), be sure to at least have the axle equipped with brake flanges (about $3!!!) -- Without the flanges welded on at the factory before the rubber goes in, it's not possible to add brakes.
Good points Pete

Cerka does not install, they only sell, so I am going to have to find someone to do the install, or I may try it myself. From what I've read else where on FGRV, adding brakes when replacing the axle has been recommended time and time again. Mine has e brakes, so I was going to replace with the same. Your suggestion of the adding the brake flanges is a good for someone that does not want brakes but will benefit the next owner down the line.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'73 13' boler axle replacement Tom and Colleen Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 2 08-27-2009 12:05 AM
Uhaul Axle Replacement caleb Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 05-21-2009 07:17 AM
Axle replacement Brad Judd Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 13 01-16-2008 04:23 PM
Axle Replacement LauraW Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 5 02-15-2007 06:48 PM
axle replacement Don Meyer Modifications, Alterations and Updates 13 06-09-2006 11:07 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.