B17 roofs and "series".... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
ding ding, you win Junkie....

....if you have an 89 that is the oldest 17 with the larger rockguard...(a possible clue as to when a change in build happened)

what I call the small rockguard is the one that is thinner and has the supports on the outside of the guard (probably spring shocks)....instead of the molded fiberglass piece with the gas shocks inside the guard, when closed up

here's a couple of pics of the "small" one.....sorry about the quality of the pics, they suffered blowing them up...

the molds certainly did not change.....I'm speculating that the building specs for the roof (at least) changed at some point...given the comments about "wavy" roofs we get now and then and that the rockguard change is when that happened....cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
17c.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
ding ding, you win Junkie....

....if you have an 89 that is the oldest 17 with the larger rockguard...(a possible clue as to when a change in build happened)

what I call the small rockguard is the one that is thinner and has the supports on the outside of the guard (probably spring shocks)....instead of the molded fiberglass piece with the gas shocks inside the guard, when closed up

here's a couple of pics of the "small" one.....sorry about the quality of the pics, they suffered blowing them up...

the molds certainly did not change.....I'm speculating that the building specs for the roof (at least) changed at some point...given the comments about "wavy" roofs we get now and then.... and that the rockguard change is when that happened....cheers, F

Old 04-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
wooops on the double post.. (???)

here's a better picture of a trailer with the "small" rockguard....it's thin and lies flat against window...shocks/supports are on the outside...
Attached Thumbnails
17d.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The older style rock screen has 2 aluminum support arms that slide one-within-the-other. There is no spring or shock. There is a wing screw that locks the arms in the up position. My 1980 Bigfoot and 1973 Compact Jr have the same rock guard supports.
I doubt we will ever know when Bigfoot added reinforcement to the roof since it's hidden in the ceiling structure. Any company that has been in business since 1978 has made hundreds of changes, large and small, as they improve their product. I look at my Bigfoot and others and wonder; when did they move the closet, add a cover over the propane tanks, switch from wood grain vinyl luan wall panels to real wood veneer, add an exterior grab handle, add exterior storage hatches, etc.

P.S. I will always call my trailer a 1500 series.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #19

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The older style rock screen has 2 aluminum support arms that slide one-within-the-other. There is no spring or shock. There is a wing screw that locks the arms in the up position. My 1980 Bigfoot and 1973 Compact Jr have the same rock guard supports.
I doubt we will ever know when Bigfoot added reinforcement to the roof since it's hidden in the ceiling structure. Any company that has been in business since 1978 has made hundreds of changes, large and small, as they improve their product. I look at my Bigfoot and others and wonder; when did they move the closet, add a cover over the propane tanks, switch from wood grain vinyl luan wall panels to real wood veneer, add an exterior grab handle, add exterior storage hatches, etc.

P.S. I will always call my trailer a 1500 series.

I have no idea what series mine is but it has these support arms on the rock guard that you're talking about. Its 19 and the window under it isn't flat it sort of comes to a point in the middle. I was wishing it would open that would be awesome but the way the front is there would be no way to have one that opens. I think mine is also a deluxe. Mine also has the cover for the propane bottles. Also a double axle just like the one in the pic on page 1, the 1st pic in the line up of 3 pix I believe it was.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #20

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
I realize this is a somewhat old post but just came upon it today. We have a 1981 Bigfoot 17 with enough sway up front to accommodate a small puddle of water. We spent a few years trying to get this Bigfoot and are so happy with it that we are more than willing to forgiver her for being a little swaybacked. Lee
Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #21

Lee Senn, that's awesome that you are so thrilled with your Big Foot! Happy Camping

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Fiberglass RV mobile app