Back-up Camera on a FGRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Thank you. The Oliver sure has lots of bells and whistles. I saw some in California when they were here. Are you happy wit the functioning of that camera and do you use it as a rear view mirror? I was told that the monitor had to be in the line of sight of the transmitter, and the wireless wasn't as even in its performance as the wired. To wire one up is a real hassle. There has to be 3 major wires. 1) From monitor, 2) between tv and rig, 3) from camera.
Sandra
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Sandra,

Tali and I could not be better pleased and yes, we use it as a rear-view mirror. With the sound turned on, Tali can stand behind the Oliver and speak in a normal voice and I can hear her in the tow vehicle. I can imagine you're correct about the hassle of a totally wired system. The recommendation is for the transmitter mounting location to be a direct line of sight to the monitor. However, I can actually drive several hundred feet down the street and still get a signal from the trailer. We've found the only interferance we get is when we drive under an overpass. The image in the monitor will shimmy a little bit, can't explain why. Probably has something to do with Elves or possibly Elvis.

Steve and Tali
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I bought the Harbor Freight underwater camera on sale. I built a cheap bracket to hang the b&w monitor from my Ranger's courtesy light. I then align the rear view mirror to look at the monitor. I did add a tinted lens to tone down the exposure. It's very helpful for keeping track of those drivers that hang behind you and then try to whip around to pass at odd instances.
Jim Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Sandra,

Tali and I could not be better pleased and yes, we use it as a rear-view mirror. With the sound turned on, Tali can stand behind the Oliver and speak in a normal voice and I can hear her in the tow vehicle. I can imagine you're correct about the hassle of a totally wired system. The recommendation is for the transmitter mounting location to be a direct line of sight to the monitor. However, I can actually drive several hundred feet down the street and still get a signal from the trailer. We've found the only interferance we get is when we drive under an overpass. The image in the monitor will shimmy a little bit, can't explain why. Probably has something to do with Elves or possibly Elvis.

Steve and Tali
Thanks for the input. Camping world sells a system that looks like it might be the one that you have. I wonder if the transmitter can be located so that the wiring would not be visible if the camera was mounted on the back bumper.
Sandra
Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
I bought the Harbor Freight underwater camera on sale. I built a cheap bracket to hang the b&w monitor from my Ranger's courtesy light. I then align the rear view mirror to look at the monitor. I did add a tinted lens to tone down the exposure. It's very helpful for keeping track of those drivers that hang behind you and then try to whip around to pass at odd instances.
That gives me some ideas, but I have no idea where the courtesy light on a ranger is located. How was the camera wired? Sounds like a workable set-up.
Thanks,
Sandra
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Thank you. The Oliver sure has lots of bells and whistles. I saw some in California when they were here. Are you happy wit the functioning of that camera and do you use it as a rear view mirror? I was told that the monitor had to be in the line of sight of the transmitter, and the wireless wasn't as even in its performance as the wired. To wire one up is a real hassle. There has to be 3 major wires. 1) From monitor, 2) between tv and rig, 3) from camera.
Sandra
http://reviews.ebay.com/EVERYTHING-YOU-NEE...000000000708736
This site is very helpful
Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
I just noticed this wireless backup camera.

http://www.swifthitchworks.com/

Does anyone have experience with it?

Brian

(footnote added as edit) Sorry, I just found the link http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ift+hitch\

This has been around for a few years and has been discussed before.

Brian
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I have the SwiftHitch set for about a year. It is a good product but with my truck length (Extended Cab/8’ bed/Canopy) it is barely within its range limit. Any neighbors’ Wi-Fi will interfere. I am very satisfied with the product functionality but limited range is on occasion annoying. I decided to go with the wired option for both the truck and the 21' Bigfoot trailer. After some search my prime choice is this Rear View Safety set RVS770616 modified to two rear view cameras instead of one rear view and two side views cameras. This camera has 1/3” instead of ¼” CCD chip so it should have better sensitivity. One camera will go on the rear of the trailer and one on the back of the truck. This particular set was aimed by manufacturer for commercial applications. The LCD Monitor’s built in multiplexer will allow automatic switchover once trailer is hooked-up. They also have QuickDisconnect accessory which will make truck/trailer interconnect rather robust. This is my next RV project on the list.

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote