Back-up Camera on a FGRV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Thumbs up

Has anyone installed a back-up camera on their fgrv that also has a "constant on" feature with a wireless monitor that could be temporarily mounted (for theft prevention) to the dash of the tow vehicle? I am contemplating an Escape purchase and preferably have it installed while it is being built. It is my understanding that it could also be used for security purposes when inside the trailer. Thanks in advance,
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Heres some gen info.
http://www.rvlifemag.com/file321/rvtip321.html
Old 09-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #3

Heres one which is wireless but only has a 19ft range.
http://www.gadgetshack.com/wibacaw.html
Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks You,
I was in Chilliwack last week and toured the factory. I am hoping to get more information to Reace. After a "test drive", I feel for me the camera is a necessity.
Peace and sunshine,
Sandra

Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
I have one on my truck that makes hooking up a cinch. People have watched in awe as I back up and stop with the ball perfectly under the hitch......and depending who they are I'll either tell them I have a backup camera or not!!!!!
It does have a range that would not work from the back of the trailer though. I picked it up for $120 a year ago from Walmart.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
jrnutpaul hook up a 12v LCD wireless in his trailer(s). There's a couple of topics worth of info talking about pleasures and challenges:
Starts here talking about the monitor: Small LCD TV
then some here: Review LCD monitor
and wiring discussion that starts here and spills over to the second page: Running lights

Too bad it's not all in one topic!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Harbor Freight has waterproof wired camera's and Monitors for around 60 - 70 buks. I suspect their monitor could be ditched for a flat screen. With that in mind you can order PARTS from harbor freight. you could call and ask for price of just camera. Could as Tech. department about output signal so you can make sure it will be compatible with some other monitor or not.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Has anyone installed a back-up camera on their fgrv that also has a "constant on" feature with a wireless monitor that could be temporarily mounted (for theft prevention) to the dash of the tow vehicle? ....
Someone's going to steal your egg as you drive it down the road?

ohhhhhh... wait I get it... For when your detached and driving around the city.

IMHO that's NOT going to happen, no... not talking about the theft not happening, talking about finding a device to visual watch the egg while you toodle around town. Guessing that something with that kinda remote range would cost as much as your egg, if it exist.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #9

Now that I think on it again, if it is in your budget.

A locked box staked to the ground with a computer camera in it. This hooked to a computer inside trailer w/ an internet connection like an air card? Log onto Messenger (AOL, MSN, Yahoo.... does nto matter), hit to have the camera on too.

In your driving rig.... a lap top also with internet access. (Cellular internet card?) Log onto same type messenger under another user name and contact user the trailer camera is using. Request to look at camera of trailer's computer.

You will have to synch up before you leave though. As in you'll have to mann the trailer computer long enough to hit the button allowing the other user in the truck the right to view the camera's output.

Thats one way to do it IMHO. Your camera image will be broadcast over the internet for you to view. You could even have mommy back home babysit your trailer while your away
Old 09-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
IMHO that's NOT going to happen, no... not talking about the theft not happening, talking about finding a device to visual watch the egg while you toodle around town. Guessing that something with that kinda remote range would cost as much as your egg, if it exist.

Sorry, but the government would never allow something like that. They limit the power on CB radio's for the same reason, I don't think everyone near your egg would want to watch that channel.

But there is a solution: anti-theft devices like http://www.ravelco.com/.

Just Google 'anti-theft device' for lots more ideas, even how to select a system: http://www.ehow.com/how_17639_choose-anti-theft.html

Of course one problem with an egg is the exposed battery. You may have to get a second battery (a small gel cell?) to run any alarm.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Someone's going to steal your egg as you drive it down the road?

ohhhhhh... wait I get it... For when your detached and driving around the city.

The main idea is to be able to see behind me,while driving, as I am short and lack depth perception. And as I have learned, apparently it can have a dual use. BTW, the rate things seem to disappear, I wouldn't put it past some Einstein to try that!
Peace and Sunshine
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #12

Here is one for less that $ 200 with 65 feet of cable.

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RV8602.html
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:

Thanks James,
The one that I found was an Audiovox Voyager for about $1000.00+.
Peace and Sunshine
Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #14

That is the color monitor. The B&W and small is cheeper.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot
After looking around for a while and researching the various manufacturer's spec, I decided on a wired monitor for the truck/trailer. I selected this unit:

Wired Camera

This vendor has good info on backup cameras installation and options. I am pretty happy with mine, the monitor swings down from the roof in front of the rearview mirror. With the power and signal in the same cable, you don't have to find a 12V power supply on the trailer, and hookup is a single cable run from the hitch to the inside of the cab. Took me two afternoons to do the whole job including deciding how to mount everything.
Warren Hing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:

Just beware of rvtoyoutlet.com. They may advertise great prices for products online, but my experience with them is that you place an order, they take your credit card information, promise you that it will be delivered in a few weeks, and when you call back because it hasn't arrived they then tell you it is on back order. I've been waiting since mid-June for some Maxxair window vents and routinely call to find out if the merchandise has come in and am given a different excuse and new promise each time. The second time I called they said they were too busy doing inventory to place the order with the manufacturer. . . this was more than a month after I placed the order with RVToyOutlet. I've even been told the truck just arrived and someone will unpack it and ship out my vents in a couple of days. This was in late August. They don't appear to be aware of what they have in stock, what they have on order or backorder, or the ability to read a packing slip. Don't get your hopes up that you'll actually ever see the merchandise! I'm still waiting for my vents!
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Don't buy from this company http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/
my brother had problems with this place also.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:
Just beware of rvtoyoutlet.com. They may advertise great prices for products online, but my experience with them is that you place an order, they take your credit card information, promise you that it will be delivered in a few weeks, and when you call back because it hasn't arrived they then tell you it is on back order. I've been waiting since mid-June for some Maxxair window vents and routinely call to find out if the merchandise has come in and am given a different excuse and new promise each time. The second time I called they said they were too busy doing inventory to place the order with the manufacturer. . . this was more than a month after I placed the order with RVToyOutlet. I've even been told the truck just arrived and someone will unpack it and ship out my vents in a couple of days. This was in late August. They don't appear to be aware of what they have in stock, what they have on order or backorder, or the ability to read a packing slip. Don't get your hopes up that you'll actually ever see the merchandise! I'm still waiting for my vents!
Call your credit card company first. Some are pretty useless, but some will refund your money, then go after the company you dealt with. They are even in a position to exert some pressure on companies to improve their dealings with customers.

Seriously, I would call my CC company to see if anything could be done.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #19

Registry

Since I'm still researching this topic, I'm most appreciative of that info. I had them send a catalog, but will look elsewhere. I've got enough w/out additional headaches. Lisa, since you are in California, you may wish to call the Dept. of Consumer Affairs or the AG. If they've had many complaints, they may prosecute!
Peace and Sunshine.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #20

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
When Tali and I bought the Outlaw Oliver, we had a camera mounted on the rear. It is wired internally to a transmitter mounted outside on the front. The transmitter allows for wireless operation to the color monitor (with sound) located inside on the windshield. I never had much faith in those suction cup mounts, especially for something as heavy as the viewing monitor, but it holds and doesn't shake and has never fallen off.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail...catid=&pid=224

Steve
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote