Bar Keepers Friend - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
Yes BKF is slightly abrasive. So is rubbing compound, wet&dry sandpaper which is also good at removing oxidation from fiberglass if used properly.
Yes all the items you mentioned are abrasive but all to varying degrees. The OP has a pretty new trailer and if its been cleaned and waxed regularly since it was new it a pretty good bet it doesn't have a big oxidation issue or need a product with much if any abrasive agents in it to get it shining brightly again or get any bug/blood stains off of it.

I have used BKF as well as some pro type compounds & off the shelf consumer based fiberglass cleaners and wax combo products over the years on different fiberglass items. I would suggest that BKF is somewhere in the lower middle in regards to how abrasive it is. One things for sure, the fewer times the gelcoat finish is subjected to an abrasive cleaning the longer it will last. Way better/easier to keep it protected with a good wax right from the start.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #22

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yes all the items you mentioned are abrasive but all to varying degrees. The OP has a pretty new trailer and if its been cleaned and waxed regularly since it was new it a pretty good bet it doesn't have a big oxidation issue or need a product with much if any abrasive agents in it to get it shining brightly again or get any bug/blood stains off of it.

I have used BKF as well as some pro type compounds & off the shelf consumer based fiberglass cleaners and wax combo products over the years on different fiberglass items. I would suggest that BKF is somewhere in the lower middle in regards to how abrasive it is. One things for sure, the fewer times the gelcoat finish is subjected to an abrasive cleaning the longer it will last. Way better/easier to keep it protected with a good wax right from the start.
The OP asked simply has anyone used it and if they liked it or not, no qualification about what type of fiberglass or what they wanted it to accomplish. I posted in #6 that BKF works well to remove rust stains from fiberglass. My point was for information, that one thing that BKF does is to remove rust stains from fiberglass.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
My point was for information, that one thing that BKF does is to remove rust stains from fiberglass.
No problem my comment were also for information purposes only as well, just in case someone thinks there is no down side to giving a trailer a good rub down with BKF.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #24

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
30 seconds cleaner...theres a youtube here of someone cleaning a concrete sidewalk...and many stores that have it

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=...w=1066&bih=636
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #25

Name: Patti
Trailer: 13' Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bar Keepers Friend best claim to fame when used on all molded trailers is it is slightly abrasive and removes chalk on the gelcoat.

If you're looking to remove all the gross nasties, but still have a good gelcoat underneath. I'd suggest buying 30 second Outdoor Cleaner (available at Lowes, etc). Put it in a pump spray container (like you use to kill weeds), spray the entire trailer. Let sit for a few minutes then hose it off. Wash with a good car wash soap, dry... the use Mequires Flagship Wax.

Great conversation! Do you know if 30 sec outdoor will clean the oxidation off my Scamp?
PattiMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #26

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Glad to see this thread. I used BFK last summer on my Trillium, rinsed well and used 5 coats of ZEP. It looked great!
This spring, it looks awful. Peeling, flaking, chalking. All on the top half. What could have gone wrong? Maybe dried too fast?
I would love some ideas.
Thx
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
If you're looking to remove all the gross nasties, but still have a good gelcoat underneath. I'd suggest buying 30 second Outdoor Cleaner (available at Lowes, etc).
The website had me howling, most of the instructions had you keeping the items wet for much longer than 30 seconds. Does anybody have an idea of what is in it? WHIMIS trained minds always wonder what we are working with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigodave View Post
This spring, it looks awful. Peeling, flaking, chalking. All on the top half. What could have gone wrong?
If you are saying that the peeling etc all takes place above a point of demarcation, eg belly band, that would make me think that the top had some sort of material appllied to it previoiusly that the bottom didn't. What comes to mind is the waxes that had silicone in it to make the water bead. There have been threads where people have used WD40 or similar materials on the www to try to restore the look of gel coat.

If that is the case I'd be tempted to test different cleaners and or solvents to find one that works. Such as TSP, acetone, 3M fiberglass prep, alcohol, maybe even the ZEP stripper. Did you use the sealer first? Or just straight wax?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #28

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Hi Roy, Finished that Boler yet?
I doubt there was any finish of any sort on the Trill. It was really chalky when I got it and the finish was well worn where a plastic tarp had been put on over winters. No, I did not use a sealer either. May have to try that this year. So disappointing.
The areas that got the most sun show the worst failure.
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have used Barkeepers friend and I like the stuff. I perfer the liquid paste to the dry powder. Alot of places carry it in one form or another. In my area Walmart, Target, Lowes and Home Depot carry it. My local grocery stores don't carry it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigodave View Post
Glad to see this thread. I used BFK last summer on my Trillium, rinsed well and used 5 coats of ZEP. It looked great!
This spring, it looks awful. Peeling, flaking, chalking. All on the top half. What could have gone wrong? Maybe dried too fast?
I would love some ideas.
Thx
Did the trailer go through a hail storm by chance? or was it subject to a lot of bird droppings or tree sap etc? People who have reported peeling with the Zep floor finish products in areas where there have been rock chips as well as environmental droppings that eat through or chip off the finish. It is an interior floor finish after all and not really meant to withstand all the outdoor issues mother nature might throw at it.

I have had good results at getting rid of chalking and stains using 3M Marine Restore and Wax put on with a micro cloth and lots of rubbing with take off the chaulk - easier though to use a power buffer with a wool pad to apply it. One bottle will do the whole trailer.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #31

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Amazon.com: Collier 1Q30S 30 Ready to Use 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner, 32-Ounce: Patio, Lawn & Garden
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #32

Name: Rachael
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
Alaska
I've tried using the 3m fiberglass cleaner and barkeepers friend. My 1989 just stays yellow & streaky. My friends' 1971 looks much better. Any other thoughts on getting the yellow stains out would be much appreciated.

Also, has anyone fabricated guards for the front edges of a Scamp where all the rocks pound it? I was thinking some kind of lightweight diamond plating would look good since if I paint, it will chip there eventually.

Thanks!

Quote:
Bar Keepers Friend best claim to fame when used on all molded trailers is it is slightly abrasive and removes chalk on the gelcoat.

If you're looking to remove all the gross nasties, but still have a good gelcoat underneath. I'd suggest buying 30 second Outdoor Cleaner (available at Lowes, etc). Put it in a pump spray container (like you use to kill weeds), spray the entire trailer. Let sit for a few minutes then hose it off. Wash with a good car wash soap, dry... the use Mequires Flagship Wax.

AKscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscamper View Post
I've tried using the 3m fiberglass cleaner and barkeepers friend. My 1989 just stays yellow & streaky. My friends' 1971 looks much better. Any other thoughts on getting the yellow stains out would be much appreciated.
Its going to take more than the 3M fiberglass cleaner to get the shine back.

You probable need to use a 3M Marine fiberglass Rubbing Compound with an electric buffer & wool bonnet on it.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #34

Name: Rachael
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
Alaska
Thanks, that's the product I have tried but only by hand with a rag. Haven't tried an electric buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Its going to take more than the 3M fiberglass cleaner to get the shine back.

You probable need to use a 3M Marine fiberglass Rubbing Compound with an electric buffer & wool bonnet on it.
AKscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscamper View Post
Thanks, that's the product I have tried but only by hand with a rag. Haven't tried an electric buffer.
Was it the Restore and Wax product you tried? or the actual full strength compound? The Restore and Wax works will if only using a micro fiber cloth if you are dealing only with light surface stains - such as black window streaks or bug stains. Either way on a badly neglected and stained fiberglass either product works best using a wool bonnet on a power duffer, not to mention it makes the job go way faster as well.

The good news is you will only need to use the power duffer once if you do it right the first time using the correct product. Haven't had to use the power buff on mine in 7 years once I got the shine back. Simple wax the trailer 2x a year using a cloth now to keep it shining.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #36

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
On the front edge of the trailer, because it is a compound curve, fitting even the thinnest diamond plate would be difficult. But you could apply truck bed liner, such as Rhino Hyde (?) applied, which can be had in many different stock or custom colors.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote