Bar Keepers Friend - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Bar Keepers Friend

Anyone use this on your fiberglass? If so, were you glad or sad?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's one of the major cleaning items used before applying Red Max Pro... or ZEP as it's now called.

Although I wouldn't think your 2011 Egg Camper would need anything nearly this aggressive.

Are you asking for yourself and your trailer? If so, we can point you to more appropriate solutions.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Glad! Love the stuff...It works awesome! Works great on stainless steel kitchen sinks also.
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Michigan
You can also just add a little in your bucket of wash water.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Our EggCamper is gross. We had it in the yard with a lot of snow, had it down to Georgia, to Texas & Florida and both those trips it got a HUGE dose of road slop. Only lost the rest of the snow in our yard and we've had about "7" years worth of rain in the last couple of days and it's supposed to keep doing that for almost another week. Not sure I'd recognize the sun if it ever does come out.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bar Keepers Friend works very well to remove rust stains from fiberglass.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #7

Bar Keepers Friend best claim to fame when used on all molded trailers is it is slightly abrasive and removes chalk on the gelcoat.

If you're looking to remove all the gross nasties, but still have a good gelcoat underneath. I'd suggest buying 30 second Outdoor Cleaner (available at Lowes, etc). Put it in a pump spray container (like you use to kill weeds), spray the entire trailer. Let sit for a few minutes then hose it off. Wash with a good car wash soap, dry... the use Mequires Flagship Wax.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Donna,

Would that 30 second outdoor cleaner work on the fiberglass tub/shower in the house? I hate cleaning the tub.

Wish we had a Lowes, sounds like a good product. Storing our Scamp we have never had much problem. After one of our long trips we have had some bugs, tar and dirt. Elbow grease usually takes care.

Thanks for mentioning 30 second product.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #9

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Donna,

Would that 30 second outdoor cleaner work on the fiberglass tub/shower in the house? I hate cleaning the tub.

Wish we had a Lowes, sounds like a good product. Storing our Scamp we have never had much problem. After one of our long trips we have had some bugs, tar and dirt. Elbow grease usually takes care.

Thanks for mentioning 30 second product.

Nancy
Should be able to get it at any grocery store, look around the cleansers like comet et. al.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

You could use it in a fiberglass shower, I suppose.. with proper ventilation! There may be a reason it's called "outdoor." If you do, let us know how it goes.

I have friends that use it on their driveway. Easier on the concrete than a pressure washer. I can find 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner lots of places in Portland. I KNOW the big box stores carry it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You could use it in a fiberglass shower, I suppose.. with proper ventilation! There may be a reason it's called "outdoor." If you do, let us know how it goes.

I have friends that use it on their driveway. Easier on the concrete than a pressure washer. I can find 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner lots of places in Portland. I KNOW the big box stores carry it.
Is it really that good? I may have to give it a try...Has anybody used it on a Redmaxed trailer? Probably not a good idea.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #12

Aaron, I think it would take the Red Max off (not totally), or at least cause it to spot.

A former member used it on his awning... the underside that faces the patio and it came out stellar clean. Just another FYI
Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
Aaron, I think it would take the Red Max off (not totally), or at least cause it to spot.

A former member used it on his awning... the underside that faces the patio and it came out stellar clean. Just another FYI
Thanks... I may get some to try around the house though.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Thanks... I may get some to try around the house though.
That is its intended use; siding, patios etc. to get ride of mould and mildew, green slime.
Rinse thoroughly. I mean that.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bob, as others have suggested your trailer is pretty new and Bar Keepers friend may be a little bit harsh on your nice gelcoat. 3M makes a Marine Clean and Wax that works really well at taking off stains and streaks and although the small bottle will set you back $14 - you can do the whole trailer with it a few times. As Donna suggest using a good wax - marine folks seem to recommend using a good carnuba paste wax on gelcoat. I have used a Meguiars one for the last couple of years that seems to do a pretty good job.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #16

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Bar Keepers Friend best claim to fame when used on all molded trailers is it is slightly abrasive and removes chalk on the gelcoat.

If you're looking to remove all the gross nasties, but still have a good gelcoat underneath. I'd suggest buying 30 second Outdoor Cleaner (available at Lowes, etc). Put it in a pump spray container (like you use to kill weeds), spray the entire trailer. Let sit for a few minutes then hose it off. Wash with a good car wash soap, dry... the use Mequires Flagship Wax.

Yes BKF is slightly abrasive. So is rubbing compound, wet&dry sandpaper which is also good at removing oxidation from fiberglass if used properly. BKF contains oxalic acid which is what enables it to remove rust stains that are absorbed into the fiberglass.
As for using 30 second cleaner, what does it do to the decals on the trailer.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #17

Name: Warren
Trailer: 1979 17' Boler
British Columbia
Donna:

You mention that RedMax is now called "Zep." I checked the Zep webpage and they show 6 types of Zep Sealer. You don't happen to know which is the product formerly known as RedMax.
Warren Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
Donna:

You mention that RedMax is now called "Zep." I checked the Zep webpage and they show 6 types of Zep Sealer. You don't happen to know which is the product formerly known as RedMax.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post314496

Quote:
Red Max #3 (now replaced by Zep Wet Look)
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #19

Name: Warren
Trailer: 1979 17' Boler
British Columbia
Thanks, Tom:

I will get better at navigating the site, I'm sure.
Warren Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
Thanks, Tom:

I will get better at navigating the site, I'm sure.
The secret is to use the Google search entry box at the bottom of the search pull down (top of page).