bathroom fan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
has anyone ever put a small fan in the bathroom? Seems to me that would be a good place to have one especially because of the steam from the shower? And I was also curious as of why Scamp would put the 'rat fur'on the ceiling in the bathroom also?? doesnt seem very logicial??
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have seen several Casitas with small ceiling vent/fans mounted in the bathroom. A round black fixture 1/4 the size of a Fantastic-Fan.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I have thought about doing this also. My method would be to install two 4-inch computer fans in a piece of plexiglass that would take the place of the screen of the small bathroom window.

Another possibility would be to install another 14 x 14 inch top hatch and mount a fan in it. For this use an auto type 12 volt fan such as is available at WalMart would work just fine. The efficiency (electrical power vs air flow) wouldn't be much of an issue for intermittent use.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #4

Loren.. good idea.. if ya do that be sure to show us pics and how ya do it!! Not that I can accomplish putting in one but maybe have someone do it for me...
Old 04-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Escape which I saw in a showroom had a regular roof vent with fan in the bathroom - I agree that a fan makes some sense.

I suspect that Scamp covers the entire interior with Reflectix insulation and "rat fur" fabric, then adds the interior fittings; this would likely leave a rat fur surface for the ceiling. I certainly wouldn't want this with a shower, but for a bathroom without shower, I don't know.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
How about this? It may work for an eggs small bathroom.

http://www.lslproducts.com/MK-IVPage.html
Attached Thumbnails
lil_stinker.jpg  
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #7

that looks like something to be considered.. I will book the page.. thanks!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Christi,
After attending the 2004 Bluebonnet Festival in Texas, we made a side trip to the Casita factory. I'd hoped to have them install a bathroom fan which had become an option. They were quite willing to try to squeeze it into their busy schedule... provided I was willing to leave "Nuestra Casita" with them for at least 3 weeks! We bought it anyway, and brought the fan home.
After measuring many times to make sure the hole would be located in the correct location, and psyching myself up to cutting a 6" hole in the fiberglass, I discovered the necessity for cutting 2 of them. The bathroom is a complete shell of it's own inside the the body. The operation proceeded without any problems, including tucking the wiring in carpet seams and fishing them between the 2 hulls.
The Casita fan assembly has an outside cover which one may open and close to prevent wind driven rain from entering while on the road.
The outer hull is completely carpeted so one 6" piece had carpeting and one did not. If it is cold outside the extra insulation is much appreciated!
I used a Roto-Zip to cut the fiberglass. The path was covered with masking tape, to prevent any splintering or marks on the 'glass from the tool.
We feel it was a worthwhile "mod".
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
How about this? It may work for an eggs small bathroom.

http://www.lslproducts.com/MK-IVPage.html
Oh, oh! I have one of those and installed it myself.

It's actually made to be installed over the vent pipe. It was so quiet that I really considered using it for a bathroom fan, but decided to use it for the purpose it was made.

If you used it in the ceiling, you'd have to rig up something to go through the walls and finish on the inside because it is definitely an outside only installation.

BTW, I've only been camping with it once, but I REALLY like it.

Just a warning, those other ones are pretty noisey.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Christi:

Here is the solution for my trailer bathroom. The vent is a smaller, 9" square one from Elixir, and there is no fan that I could find made for this smaller opening.

12v electronics fan, very quiet, low power draw, and surprisingly effective. As the picture shows, I blanked off the rest of the opening with clear acrylic so that the skylight effect would not be ruined. I plan to rig up a clothes line setup for dish towels, etc, to dry. Out of the way and not cluttering up the rest of the trailer. Wiring was tricky but doable and completely hidden.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom_fan.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #11

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I found a double switch (made for slide-outs in stickies, I think) and therefore the light switch is next to the fan switch outside the door. I like it because it is more human-scaled than the earlier ones I had found. In a concession to advanced age I wired in the LED to remind us when the fan is on and we can't hear it for some reason. (Hint: LEDs are widely available from places like Radio Shack, but they require a resistor wired in series to bring the voltage down to a usable level. 1 k Ohm is about right.)
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom_switch.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Christi:

Here is the solution for my trailer bathroom. The vent is a smaller, 9" square one from Elixir, and there is no fan that I could find made for this smaller opening.

12v electronics fan, very quiet, low power draw, and surprisingly effective. As the picture shows, I blanked off the rest of the opening with clear acrylic so that the skylight effect would not be ruined. I plan to rig up a clothes line setup for dish towels, etc, to dry. Out of the way and not cluttering up the rest of the trailer. Wiring was tricky but doable and completely hidden.

Thanks for the photo. I'm going to have someone put one of these in my Scamp roof vent which is too big for a standard vent fan.
Mary Gessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 2002 Tundra TRD
Quote:
has anyone ever put a small fan in the bathroom? Seems to me that would be a good place to have one especially because of the steam from the shower? And I was also curious as of why Scamp would put the 'rat fur'on the ceiling in the bathroom also?? doesnt seem very logicial??
I have installed a solar roof vent in the bath of our casita there are day and night models one hole to cut no wireing . I put in the day mod. Got it at ...Tim@wingsandwheels.com Don K
kerberdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 2002 Tundra TRD
Quote:
Don K here again look for solar vents on the wingsandwheels web site hard to find with all the air plane stuff........
kerberdp is offline   Reply With Quote