Bathroom or no bathroom, that is the question.. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
wish we had a bathroom....
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #22

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hmmmmmm, now that is interesting. Having only camped at maybe a dozen campgrounds total we have never ran into a nasty bathroom. Even Florida's rest stops are sparkling clean. Would love to see a poll as to how often folks run across icky bathrooms? Rarely, Occasionally, never? And in which Regions were you traveling through? And were they Public or Private Camgrounds? State, Forest etc?

Just curios,

Melissa
i agree, we always use the facilities and have never had a problem. it might depend on where you camp though. we stay in national or state campgrounds.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Warren Shumway...The older we get the more important it seem a bathroom is!!! Close only counts in "Horse shoes" as they say. Our 5.0 has the largest wet bath that Escape builds and that's a bonus!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's different strokes for different folks kinda of thing. As with most, I started as a tenter and backpacker... no bathroom available except in nature and made facilities. As I've aged, I'm glad I no longer have to dress in the middle of the night to go to search out a bathroom and the weather has no bearing in my decision to wait it out! I've never found dumping the black tank to be problematic. I wear gloves and use chemicals in the tank. For those of us that are parents and changed dirty diapers... trust me, a black tank is not nearly as nasty!

But, the decision is personal. What someone else needs or what someone else's kids handle may be totally different than your own. Good luck on your decision, it's one you'll live with the entire time you own a particular trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
At night

We have a 16 ft Scamp with bath . We use the campground's bathroom during the day and the campground's shower if it's clean . We basically use the bathroom at night when it is a real convenience especially when raining or cold. I have not found there to be a lack of storage space due to the bath I still have a cupboard above the bed that's totally empty . Our longest trip in the Scamp has been 9 days so that may change but we like the bath
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #26

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Oregon
We have a 13' SCAMP and use only a porta-potty. Since we camp at RV parks and state campgrounds (Oregon) we only use it at night-time. We value our storage area; it holds a lot.
LarryTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #27

Name: Warren
Trailer: scamp 13' shopper
Vermont
Thanks again

Thanks again to all the positive suggestions. Since I will be using this around New England for business too, I have put a deposit down for the 13' scamp with the bathroom. It will cut down on the space (which the dogs will miss if it's raining outside) but I sure love the thought of bathroom if i have to park in kmart or walmart parking lot late one night.

Best wishes,

Warren
Warren Shumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Shumway View Post
Thanks again to all the positive suggestions. Since I will be using this around New England for business too, I have put a deposit down for the 13' scamp with the bathroom.
Best wishes,

Warren
Best wishes to you too Warren. Be sure to post pictures when your new egg is in your possession!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #29

Name: Stan Hansard
Trailer: 2004 13" Scamp
Tennessee
I have a 13' Scamp with a bath room.After useing it a couple times...I took the comode out and started using a porta potty.Theres no way that a person my size can bend over and connect a sewer hose to the holding tank on a scamp without having to get down on their knees.I have to disagree about a sewer hose not being smelly or nasty...(you probally ain't the one having to empty it).
Also if theres no dumping station you are going to have to find one or dump it on the ground.New style porta pottys are made to flush and are sealed just like the tolets in campers.I find using our porta potty mush easier and more sanitary than the tolet it came with...Just me
stanintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #30

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Where do folks with 13" scamps store the porta potty? We hope to pick up a 13" this weekend and we figured we would be going the portable route with the "facilities" if needed.
Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #31

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Sandy, there is a cubby for the porta potty under the front bunk area sized specifically for this. Good Luck on your purchase!

Melissa
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfang View Post
Where do folks with 13" scamps store the porta potty? We hope to pick up a 13" this weekend and we figured we would be going the portable route with the "facilities" if needed.
measure the storage spot before purchase. The Thetford 135 is a shorter porta-potti than most, and should fit easily in most "potti-garages".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The Thetford 135 that Floyd suggests can be found at WalMart at a good price however it is quite small. We found the Thetford 555 (13 7/8h x 15 1/8w x 17 1/4L) to be a little more "comfortable". We keep ours under the bed. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #34

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Oregon
We keep ours in the cabinet under the bunk. My husband made a secure landing for it so our knees weren't at our chins! Works really well. Just have to scoot it out a nite.
LarryTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I found the porta potty to smell much worse than the Scamp bathroom. If #2 is done in either one it will smell, but those porta potties are worse. I never want to go back to the porta potty. I found that to be messier than the bathroom by far.
Also I want to stay IN my camper at night. I don't want to be a target for animals or serial killers.
Just my opinion

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
Also I want to stay IN my camper at night. I don't want to be a target for animals or serial killers.
Just my opinion
Nope not just your opinion
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A flushing toilet was important to us, we were able to take out the front bench and shelf, add a small room with toilet and a closet and a lower space for the converter. Took a little while to build/engineer to keep the contour of the camper, but it worked out pretty good, it has about a 5-6 gal tank, part above the floor and part under the camper in the frame, we can drop the hose into the sewer if there is sewer facilities. There is no bad smell, added a vent pipe that goes from the black/grey tank to above the roof. A lot of campgrounds have septic systems on their bathrooms and they get full fast on holidays. Also didn't want to get out in the middle of the night in the rain or with critters. Good Luck with your decision!
casey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #38
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
After cleaning, a little water and a cap full of deodorizer/ liquifier seems to take care of any odor issues on our porta potti. Just make sure the seal on the black water tank is good and you don't let it get too full. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Raz and I are content with the porta potty in the 13' Trillium. Our camping trips have ranged from a couple of nights to 4 weeks ... and with proper attention, the pp has been absolutely right for us. It stores under the bed and the Golden Retriever graciously moves out of the way when we need to pull it at night.

In our travels over the past 8 years we've hit only one really baaaaad restroom ... at the one and only private campground we ever stayed at! It was last summer in Maine. YIKES! Beautiful site, scary facilities.

Since we've never had an on-board shower, we don't miss it!

Happy travelin', Warren!
Maggie
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
...Also I want to stay IN my camper at night. I don't want to be a target for animals or serial killers.
Just my opinion
Actually, the CG bathroom at 2 am is a great place to meet people our own age...

Being a guy, I don't worry much about being a target for killers. I guess big cats, bears, and such could be worrisome. Not to mention foraging skunks... difficult to see in low light! But my big reason always was that if I had to get dressed, walk in the cold night air to a bathroom, walk back and get undressed, I would not be able to fall back to sleep.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote