Bathroom or no bathroom, that is the question.. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Actually, the CG bathroom at 2 am is a great place to meet people our own age...

Being a guy, I don't worry much about being a target for killers. I guess big cats, bears, and such could be worrisome. Not to mention foraging skunks... difficult to see in low light! But my big reason always was that if I had to get dressed, walk in the cold night air to a bathroom, walk back and get undressed, I would not be able to fall back to sleep.
Recommended reading.... "Fifty Yards to the Outhouse" by Will E. Makit
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #42

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... It wasn't the 100 yard dash that bothered me but the tree root I just couldn't see!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie P.S. Never try to empty your black water tank into a 5 gal. bucket while crouched down pulling the gate valve!!! Don't ask how I know this!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #43

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I bought a Coleman PP last year for my 13 footer, it is a little bigger then some but still fits under the couch/front bunk. I use deodorizer liquid I bought at Wal-mart and just keep a gallon of water close by for flushing. I have not had any trouble with smells at all, the Coleman seems to seal up nice and tight and flushes easily plus has a gauge built in that lets me know when it is getting to full. Emptying it isn't a joyful experience but I would rather empty it then not have my own private toilet to use. My camper is a 72 and I couldn't afford to be picky when choosing campers I just had to take what I could afford. I have kids so having the sleeping space is more important to me then having a shower/bathroom. I will admit if I ever reach retirement age and travel solo or with just one other person I think I would opt to have the shower/toilet combo however.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #44

Wisconsin
Registry
Adding a photo to my above post. This was not an intentional photo of my Coleman PP but in the picture you can see the PP and the little storage spot under the front bunk that it sits in when we are in the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
298205_10150266982831493_715376492_7950982_945507_n.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #45

Trailer: Boler 1984
When not near to a facility we often set up the green room. [seen to the left in the photo.]
Attached Thumbnails
Joan's Pictures (84) - Copy (640x480).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #46

Name: Judith
Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Texas
Hi Ginny and Norm, I ment you in Escapees Park, TX. I having my table cut in half, what did you use for the leg in the back part. Did you use a pianio hindge on the table. Can you e-mail me aaflowerpower@yahoo.com. JUDY
Scamper on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #47

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I use a porta potty also. I'm trying to keep my camping as simple as possible and don't want to bother with grey water black water leaking pipes etc. I figure the less parts, the less to fix. I also camp where there are modern facilities (showers and flush toilets).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #48

Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent
When not near to a facility we often set up the green room. [seen to the left in the photo.]
That is a great idea. Where did you get that "green room" from? I think I want one.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #49

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Well the OP rightly decided to get a toilet but for those sitting on the fence, here is my 2 cents. If you are getting a 13' trailer you probably need a small unit you can tow with most small vehicles. As such it is a comprimise between space and weight. It all depends on your camping style. If you camp for only 2-3 weeks a year and camp at rv parks and campgrounds with conveniences such as toilets and showers you can live without a toilet. IMHO a trailer without a toilet, not to mention a kitchen is a glorified tent on wheels. I got a trailer because I wanted a lot more than a tent. I like to boondock and camp in more primitive campgrounds. I like to stop at noon and cook lunch anywhere I like such as a parking lot. Getting up at night and trekking to a bathroom is just like tenting. Fine for occasional use and when you are young and childless but it gets old very fast.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #50

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Well the OP rightly decided to get a toilet but for those sitting on the fence...........
I've done that in an emergency..........
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #51

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
We're brand new to egg camping, but with our previous pop-ups we've had both the port-potti situation and a hard-sided wet bathroom with a cassette toilet. This will be our first trailer with a toilet that is dumped at at dump station vs. into a flush toilet (at campground or at home). I'm hoping it is a lot easier. Not having a bathroom really wasn't an option for us; we considered just having a port-potti but long term we know we want the bathroom. Like someone else posted, having to get up and dressed and go out to the restroom would be enough to keep me awake the rest of the night.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #52

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I've done that in an emergency..........
Just stay away from barbed wire, electric and picket fences!
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #53

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Use the Bathroom in the Trailer

This post reminded me of a Poll we did years ago on Bathrooms in the trailers and whether you used them.

Some pretty funny stuff....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #54

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've read about parking at the dump site, and taking out the hose and feeding it into the ground hole, and then having to rinse out and hopefully get out all of the (uch) stuff, and then winterizing everything and etceterah. Nope, just give my my porta potty.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Winterizing.'

Virtually nothing needs to be done to winterize a black or gray tank other than dumping.

The toilet requires nothing more than running some antifreeze thru the toilet's valve.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #56

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
This whole thread reminds me of an incident that happened 30 years ago - the weekend that Mt St Helens blew up.

Spouse & I were camping in a truck-mounted camper in Northern Alberta, at a municipal/Lions club campground on the shores of Chrystal Lake

On the Saturday night we went to a movie - the original Friday the 13th! (where a whole series of creepy murders happens at Camp Chrystal Lake)

After returning to the campground, I headed up the hill to the showers. Now I was an adult. I was fully aware that it was just a movie. No matter what happened in the movie at Camp Chrystal Lake, it is just pure fiction. I am fully grown up. No hassles.

So as I left the camper, my wife said "if you don't come back, I'm NOT coming to look for you after THAT movie!" (giggle)

So I walked up the hill - past that bush (what was that sound?) (oh that's silly - grow up!). Under that tree, where the wind made the branches squeak. All the way to the campground showers, where, as I reached for the door handle. the door abruptly flew open as another guy was coming out.

He likely is still wondering why he opened a door to the sound of a scream and the site of an empty pair of shoes that someone had just jumped out of!

Sorry - but the "facilities" will be IN my camper - no more hikes at night for this family!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #57

Name: Warren
Trailer: scamp 13' shopper
Vermont
Hi Norm and Ginny, thanks for your earlier response. I am leaving tomorrow with my scamp for a few days and would like to use the sink, bathroom, etc. It is supposed to get below freezing for a day or two. Do you think two nights below 32 will hurt the system?
Thanks.
Warren
Warren Shumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #58

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Warren dont leave your hose connected at night and dump anti freeze down all your drains at night, the issue is going to be your grey water tank - if your at a site with connections dump it before bed time otherwise dump a whole lot of anti freeze down the drains to get to it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #59

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
This whole thread reminds me of an incident that happened 30 years ago - the weekend that Mt St Helens blew up.

Spouse & I were camping in a truck-mounted camper in Northern Alberta, at a municipal/Lions club campground on the shores of Chrystal Lake

On the Saturday night we went to a movie - the original Friday the 13th! (where a whole series of creepy murders happens at Camp Chrystal Lake)

After returning to the campground, I headed up the hill to the showers. Now I was an adult. I was fully aware that it was just a movie. No matter what happened in the movie at Camp Chrystal Lake, it is just pure fiction. I am fully grown up. No hassles.

So as I left the camper, my wife said "if you don't come back, I'm NOT coming to look for you after THAT movie!" (giggle)

So I walked up the hill - past that bush (what was that sound?) (oh that's silly - grow up!). Under that tree, where the wind made the branches squeak. All the way to the campground showers, where, as I reached for the door handle. the door abruptly flew open as another guy was coming out.

He likely is still wondering why he opened a door to the sound of a scream and the site of an empty pair of shoes that someone had just jumped out of!

Sorry - but the "facilities" will be IN my camper - no more hikes at night for this family!
Great story. I usually won't quote something that long... but it stands repeating!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #60

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Warren, Congrat's! Please post pic's when you can. Great decision in my opinion to get one with a bathroom. Enjoy!

Several people thought,

1. Black water tank is smelly! Some even thought less smelly than a porta potty, Really?
It doesn't have to be "smelly" if you properly maintain it. And no the chemical deoderizers are not the answer! And dumping is really not all that bad and certainly worth it to know that I am useing a clean bathroom.

Then I just wanna know where you all camp, stop for gas, potty breaks and find all these "clean" public bathrooms. My experience is 95% are dirty. That is why I don't use them. Believe me, I would rather pee on the side of the road (for all to see) than use most public bathrooms.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote