Bathrooms worth the space? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #15

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelh View Post
The middle of the night trek to the bath house is no fun for me and a deal breaker for my wife.
Couldn't agree with you more Joel. Surrounded by three females (wife & 2 daughters), a "no bathroom" trailer was not an option.

Having said that, as Peter mentioned, a shower is somewhat useless when boondocking. Not only does it use a lot of water, but very few grey water tanks can handle a single shower. We only use the shower when in a full-facility campground.

Another use for the shower though, is a spot to hang emergency laundry and other wet items when at the beach.

All in all, I would keep the shower in our Fiber Stream, and develop additional storage elsewhere.

Vic

Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #16

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
I got by for years with a porta potty and it's own little tent. Now that we have the bathroom in our 19' it's heaven but I still carry my backup. I took a shower just for giggles. You can perform dual bathroom needs while your in there.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #17

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
Michigan
Registry
We traded up from a 13 Scamp (no bathroom) to a 17 Casita (with bathroom) with no regrets. I bought a larger shower curtain to cover the potty and so far it's worked great. Next purchase is DriDek for the shower floor so we can use the potty without towel drying the floor after using a squeegee (sp?). Having the bathroom is especially nice during the night.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #18

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Being one of those people who has to get up AT LEAST once a nightwe would set up our Pett Potty in the middle of the camper for the night. Nice to have, but takes up all the space. Then I found "cute" little bags with the chemicals in them and a nice curved receptacle top that worked like a charm. Small, discreet, but expensive. After doing more research, found Uriwells. These are reusable. The plastic "accordions" down to the size of a pop can, and extends much larger. Bought one for myself and hubby.

Used these on the last camping trip and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! Before bed I would have my Uriwell set out, toilet paper, plastic bag (for toilet paper disposal), and hand wipes. It was easy and simple to use in the middle of the night. In the morning, I would dump and rinse them in the black waste dump hole of my campsite.

This may not be some people's cup of tea, and certainly would have grossed me out years ago, but after 3 kids and a knee replacement---doesn't bother me!

As to the original question (bathrooms, showers, etc.) Earlier this summer, I had a moment of temporary insanity, and we looked at the r-Pods. Thought I wanted bigger, newer, and bath/shower. The salesman (OF ALL PEOPLE), said he and his wife rarely used the bathroom (except at night), and the shower not at all.

When I got home and thought about it all----I realized I like the simpler the better. Don't want to worry about winterizing extra stuff, dumping extra stuff, maintaining extra stuff, etc. etc. etc.

Lately I've been thinking about cold weather camping and wondering if I would miss having a self-contained unit, but don't you have to have the pipes winterized anyway, even if using the camper? So can you even use a shower or toilet in the winter in our campers????

In the end, I like the 13 ft. with no bathroom---if I need an 'extra" room, decided I'd get a shower tent like Cyndi.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #19

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
KIp, In answer to your question, my 17' Casita does have the bathroom. And as for the necessity of having a bathroom, that's one of the reasons I stopped tent camping and went to a trailer. There were just too many instances of lying in my sleeping bag and trying to talk myself into putting on my shoes and stumbling out into the shivering cold. But everybody's different.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #20

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I could get by with a porta potty if necessary, but we like a bathroom especially at night or if not close to one in the campground. It is so much nicer to dump the grey and black tanks than it is to dump a porta potty.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
bathroom

I need to say something here. I have been in a lot of bathrooms where unsanitary conditions existed, both in free and paid for facilities. Showers are even worse. That said, I would not pass on the luxury of having your facilities within your confines, heated or cooled as you wish. The bathroom does not take up more space than a closet. The single dinette is 6' long and adequate. You schedule your showers and when done use your towel to wipe the walls and toilet top. The floor has a bath mat which you hang out to dry or a raised wooden floor. If not use your towel. Once dry use it, Besides, the inside of the trailers were designed to get some splash water in them, just like your tents. It will not hurt them.
Either way, the luxury of your private bath far outweighs any inconvenience, and as you get older you will appreciate it more and more. You have earned it!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
We have the Scamp 16 side dinette with a Ft bathroom. We use the toilet at night and in the morning, before we depart for activities. Normally during the day we are out hiking or site seeing in the area. The shower is tight, about 2 X 2. We use a second shower curtain to block the toilet from getting wet. It works great!
Everyone is different, for my wife no toilet in the camper was a deal breaker also and she likes the option of showering at the camper. She takes a shower and only uses about 1 to 1.5 gallons of water, she is pretty good at it.
For us we want options, we may change in a few years but for now we would not have a camper without a toilet & shower. Just our 2 cents!
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #23

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I'm on the side of 'no toilet' and don't want to give up any room in a 13footer for a bathroom. I don't have a fix-it man, and I don't want to fuss with figuring out what is leaking where. (phewy!) A porta potty works great for night time, and so my whole trailer is open and roomy. As Raya put it so well, it's only used for a small part of the day, so I don't feel that it's worth giving up the space for. And I can certainly use the exercise to walk up to the public facilities.
That being said, if I had a bigger trailer, and a resident plumber, it might be a different story !!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I could maybe do without the shower option, but not without the dedicated wc room. I have seen many floorplans with porta potties that sit opposite kitchens or in full view of other occupants - maybe ok for some but not for me. As for walking into the woods - there's a law here against that and even if legal, it's not for me. I could maybe stretch to a toilet tent, but it would need to be well soundproofed - lol. Seriously though, forget about the nostalgic world of rough camping. If these comforts are available, why not make use of them? Here in Scotland, a caravan (travel trailer) will not sell if a toilet compartment is not included. Use of them of course is at he discretion of the individual.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #25

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
Having said that, as Peter mentioned, a shower is somewhat useless when boondocking. Not only does it use a lot of water, but very few grey water tanks can handle a single shower. We only use the shower when in a full-facility campground.
Interesting observation from a fellow Fiber Streamer. I seldom have females along; does that contribute to increased water usage?

Being a retired US Navy sailor, I am well acquainted with water-saving procedures in the shower. In addition, San Diego is experiencing a stage 2 water shortage, which dictates conservation at home as well as while trailering. I cannot remember the last "Hollywood" shower I indulged in.

Robert and I get full use out of our bathroom, even while boondocking. We each use about 1.5 gallons of water per shower, and the 13 gallon gray tank easily handles a typical weekend outing for us. I also have a 5 gallon "Port-A-Way'st" Tote to draw off gray water for remote disposal. Washing (and rinsing) dishes and pots & pans is what fills the tank quickly.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #26

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Space and grunge

I used the 25% figure of space for the bathroom area.

That was just a very quick observation in a 16' Scamp.

It looked as though measuring from the bath door to the front wall of the trailer was about 3'. And thinking that the interior length of a 16'er is about 13 feet that would be 23%. In a 13'er with a 10' long interior it would be more like 30%. Of course my figures could be wrong.

Maybe someone could measure the inside demensions for this discussion.

Really appreciate folks saying it like it is and not tip toeing around the subject, especially concerning the toilet.

I agree that many Campground facilities are less than desirable. No matter how clean or dirty they look, I try my best to not sit on their toilets. We want our own toilet, and Porta Potties work pretty well, at least for the sanitation issues. They seal odors really well and the blue chemicals liquify the waste. With a cover over them they can even serve as a foot stool. Dumping is easy as the top and bottom seperate. The bottom has a convient pour spout, which for me, is less "dirty" to fool with than dealing with a sewer hose and flushing the black water tank at the dump station.

I agree about not wanting to trek to a bathroom in the middle of the night, especially as I get up at least once and maybe multiple times. So a half gallon clorox bottle handles that nicely and I can pour it in the campground facility sometime the next day.

I feel the same concerning the beds in motels/hotels. The only thing seperating us from whatever has been done on them is a, hopefully, clean sheet and pillow case. That is why we want a camper, so we "Know" any germs there are ours!

Gotta get ready for Church.. Thanks for the input, and please someone get some interior measurements.

Thanks,
Kip
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #27

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
A shower is not an option in our 9' x 5' LiteHouse. Instead, we have a solar shower. Since we live in the southern woods, there is often not much sun where we camp, we augment the heat by adding water from the tea kettle. A small pop-up awning with bedspreads clipped to the sides provides privacy for the shower and a portapotti which we use when necessary. Having a built-in shower (and head) would be lovely, but not at the cost of the additional tow weight.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #28

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300 TV 2009 Mazda Tribute, 4 cyl, 5 spd trans.
what to do in the middle of the night?

Just returned from 3 months on the road in a 13 ' Boler, w/o on-board facilities. NO WAY am I going outside in the middle of the night.
a 750 ml yogurt container serves the purpose, and is easily emptied in the morning. And, the price is right.
That's my 2 cents worth.
Karen H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
I used the 25% figure of space for the bathroom area.

That was just a very quick observation in a 16' Scamp.

It looked as though measuring from the bath door to the front wall of the trailer was about 3'. And thinking that the interior length of a 16'er is about 13 feet that would be 23%. In a 13'er with a 10' long interior it would be more like 30%. Of course my figures could be wrong.

Maybe someone could measure the inside demensions for this discussion.

Really appreciate folks saying it like it is and not tip toeing around the subject, especially concerning the toilet.

I agree that many Campground facilities are less than desirable. No matter how clean or dirty they look, I try my best to not sit on their toilets. We want our own toilet, and Porta Potties work pretty well, at least for the sanitation issues. They seal odors really well and the blue chemicals liquify the waste. With a cover over them they can even serve as a foot stool. Dumping is easy as the top and bottom seperate. The bottom has a convient pour spout, which for me, is less "dirty" to fool with than dealing with a sewer hose and flushing the black water tank at the dump station.

I agree about not wanting to trek to a bathroom in the middle of the night, especially as I get up at least once and maybe multiple times. So a half gallon clorox bottle handles that nicely and I can pour it in the campground facility sometime the next day.

I feel the same concerning the beds in motels/hotels. The only thing seperating us from whatever has been done on them is a, hopefully, clean sheet and pillow case. That is why we want a camper, so we "Know" any germs there are ours!

Gotta get ready for Church.. Thanks for the input, and please someone get some interior measurements.

Thanks,
Kip

Tags
floorplans