Bathrooms worth the space? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #41

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Kip,

We have the 13 without toilet, use porta potty at night. One of us sleeps in the back and the other on the front bunk with the back removed and better cushion. I am only 5'2 and Fred is 5'8. Both of us have slept on the front bunk (about 30 inches at the hip area). There is enough room for either of us, much better than sleeping together.

I put up a privacy curtain that can be pulled across the trailer so if we want some privacy for sponge baths we have it. At night it is dark and I got over the shared space.

We considered moving up to the 16 with no bath as that model would allow us to both have full time beds plus a full time table. It just seemed so big to us. (Our 13 is before they grew it up a few inches). We decided that we wanted to keep out 13 as it is so easy to pull and can park it in so many places.

If our 13 got totaled I really don't know if we would get another 13 or go to the 16. I do know that neither would have a bath as I much prefer the space.

We spend about 4 weeks a year in our camper covering long distances.

Hope our 2 cents help in your decision.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #42

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
We considered moving up to the 16 with no bath as that model would allow us to both have full time beds plus a full time table. It just seemed so big to us. (Our 13 is before they grew it up a few inches).
Oh I know, isn't that amazing? When I went to look at my Boler 13 at the previous owners' house, they had it in the driveway right in front of their new (taller) Scamp 16. The 16 seemed four times as large on the outside I think it was the height more than the extra length, but we were both a bit surprised at the difference. My (future) 13 looked super-compact in comparison.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #43

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Having at least a simple marine style bathroom and shower means you can camp where you want, when you want. If you don't use it after you buy the trailer, because you ALWAYS stay in places with hookups, it still makes a great closet/storage area.
Just my thoughts. I would never buy a trailer without at least a tiny bath/shower combo.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When I was a small child we had no indoor plumbing, when we moved to town, we got indoor plumbing. It would be hard to go back to a #9 washtub and a thundermug or a path.
I sorta feel the same way about my Scamp
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #45

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Our 2 cents ...

Hi Kip - you have certainly received a great cross-section of opinions here. Mostly, I think your decision should be based on your camping style.

We spent nearly 4 years full-timing in our Scamp 13 (no bath). We used our porta-pot for night calls and had a shower tent for boondocking. During that time we lucked out and found few RV parks/campgrounds with facilities which made us say "eeeuuuwww".

We realized at some future point we would need indoor plumbing, and our present Scamp 16 (side bath and front bunks) came along at just the right time. We still use campground facilities if they are decent, but having even this small 'wet bath' has expanded our 'comfort zone' and dry-camping opportunities beyond our expectations. The side-bath is smaller than the front-bath, but for us that is not a problem. Neither is the fact that the walls and commode get wet. We just dry 'em off when we are finished. We have perfected the 1-1.5 gallon shower - I used to have loooong hair, but now sport the 'full-time RV lady short cut' and that really saves water. I do miss those romantic "Out of Africa" shampoo sessions in the desert tho'. . The Scamp 16 has a pump to remove the water from the shower pan - something about the angle of the drain to greywater - something of a pain but we're used to it now.

A couple more observations ... we did NOT want the front bath because you do lose that large front window, and in my opinion, that window is part of what makes a small trailer 'feel' bigger. AND we wanted the bunks for our grandsons whenever we'll be lucky enough to take them camping with us! A medium sized adult can sleep on the sofa quite nicely - I'm 5' 7" and 'fluffy' but I'm comfie sleeping there.

You mentioned ice - we used a cooler with our 13 and found you sometimes have to go OUT of a park or campground to find ice. Not a big problem but it does happen.

Regarding grey-water tank - I think that, as well as an electric pump for the sink, would be an option an original buyer might have ordered. Our 13 was 'plain Jane' - we had a hand-pump, and used a 'blue boy' to capture our grey water.

In short, a 13ft with porta-pot gives you the best space, but you still have that spacious feeling with a 16ft (as long as you have that front window!). Another bonus in the side-bath 16 ... MORE counter space!

That's about all we have to contribute for now ... enjoy the search and good luck. L 'n D
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #46

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I had a side bath closet with porta potty in my 1st 16 ft Scamp. The side bath has no bottom enforcement near the center isle of the Scamp and I always felt it could crack and break. I would not ever consider a side wet bath or even a porta potty in there. The front bath is also very crowded but at least I feel I won't break it.
Also, I would not go back to something not having a wet bath unless I absolutely had to. I don't want to pee even in front of my hubby (he would probably tell me to walk to the camp rest room). I need my privacy. :-)
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:30 AM   #47

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
since we're all adding our 2 cents worth...i'll contribute mine. our 13 footer has no bath or shower. it does have the requisite sink. we do have a portapottie, but we've not used it in 2 years. we do use the campground facilities and if we're not in a spot with a good shower set-up, we sponge bath. yes, baby wipes are great and so is hand sanitizer...
i do not miss a bathroom. it is our ritual to both walk together, at bedtime, to the washroom. i guess i am lucky in that i rarely get up thru the night. if dennis needs to, he does. i would not sacrifice the space to get a designated bathroom area.
our friends owned the same trailer as us....but with the toilet. she thought it was terrific---at first. but in getting the toilet, she sacrificed having the bunk/second dinette.....so if their table was left down as the bed, and the weather was wet and they needed to eat/drink indoors for a meal, one of them was forced to sit on the toilet while the other sat on a stool!! i'd rather walk to the facilities, thanks.
okay...so maybe that was 4 or 5 cents worth. hahahaha
Thought this was gona be one of those days! Woke up at 4 AM and fought it until 4:30 before getting up. It is now 5 AMish. There is absolutely nothing planned for today.

Do you ever have your giggle box switched on by something that is serious, but the wording just brightens your day? Theresa's post did just that.

"so if their table was left down as the bed, and the weather was wet and they needed to eat/drink indoors for a meal, one of them was forced to sit on the toilet while the other sat on a stool!!"

That image is going to stick for a while!
As Larry The Cable Guy would say, "That's funny, I don't care who you are."

Thank you Theresa for getting the day off to a good start!
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #48

Georgia
This forum has wonderfully helpful people. Thank you for your input!

Seems that most want some type of Toilet, even if only for midnight runs.

Of those that specifically mentioned a shower, 15 said yes and 11 said no. But there were some that didn't address the shower, only the toilet. So it is not clear if they would want the shower or not. And some of those that did want a shower didn't clearify if they used it much.

I would expect that those on extended trips would be more likely to use on board showers than weekenders. It is likely that the reason we didn't use our shower is two fold.

1. The campground we stayed at most of the time in our early days of camping was private and was part of the "Coast to Coast" network. Most of the camp sites did not have FHUs. Many of the campers were there most every weekend and formed a tight bond. We let management know if rest rooms were not clean. So they were, as they were selling memberships and didn't want unhappy campers. The other campgrounds we visited were part of "Coast to Coast" and were clean also. They all had roving security and club houses.

2. Rarely did we "camp" more than 2 nights and took full advantage of AC and swimming pools. Most of the pools had showers to rinse off under. So we didn't have much of a need to take showers except on rare occations. See #1 above. Generally speaking, sponge baths and/or baby wipes were sufficient. If not, see #1.
Winter camping didn't require much showering.

One time, we did go to Disney world for several nights and showers were necessary.
We were on FHUs and the sewer line was in place. The hot water heater was gas only. The pilot would lite but when the burner kicked on the flame would go out. The propane tanks were full and turned on. The more I fooled with it, the more frustrated I got. Ann finally took the kids to the campground facilities and they got showered, but I was determined to use the camper shower. When I saw them coming back I saved face by jumping in the shower. I never mentioned to her that was the most miserable and quickest shower I had ever taken, as it was with cold water.

Found the problem after we got home. It was a wasp nest in the water heater exhaust tube.

Some of the state and federal campground facilities were somewhat grungy and we would not want to use them for anything. If we were camping a lot for extended times I think a shower and one of those instant hot water gadgets would come in handy. Of course they require 110Volt AC electricity and would not be much good without campground power, unless we had a generator.

Kip
Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #49

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
Of those that specifically mentioned a shower, 15 said yes and 11 said no. But there were some that didn't address the shower, only the toilet. So it is not clear if they would want the shower or not. And some of those that did want a shower didn't clearify if they used it much.
Kip, In our little eggs, the bathroom and the toilet take up the same space, so it's hard to have one without the other. I'm not sure if you realized that. Personally, I like to boondock so I never use the indoor shower. I prefer a Sun Shower because I don't want to take a lot of water from my tank.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #50

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
May I ask a question?
I just came from Hot Camp Showers where they offer numerous options for hot water and shower set-up. I've not used any of these. Has anybody here? Do you see any of them as being a viable option?

Thanks!

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #51

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Our 16 footer came with not a shower but with a porta-potty and a side sink. Never felt need for a shower compartment or the sink, but sure am greatful for that porta potty.

So I removed the sink and replaced with a side dinette. Like always having both a permanent place to eat and sleep. Pictures are before and after the changes made.
Attached Thumbnails
ScmpBefo.jpg   cabaft1.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #52

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
Thought this was gona be one of those days! Woke up at 4 AM and fought it until 4:30 before getting up. It is now 5 AMish. There is absolutely nothing planned for today.

Do you ever have your giggle box switched on by something that is serious, but the wording just brightens your day? Theresa's post did just that.

"so if their table was left down as the bed, and the weather was wet and they needed to eat/drink indoors for a meal, one of them was forced to sit on the toilet while the other sat on a stool!!"

That image is going to stick for a while!
As Larry The Cable Guy would say, "That's funny, I don't care who you are."

Thank you Theresa for getting the day off to a good start!
Kip
When our table is left down for a bed, and we still wish to have a table for a meal or a card game, etc. we simply use our stove cover, modified to lock into the drawer, where it becomes a table. with the addition of a folding chair and one of us sitting on the bed, we have a dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #53

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
May I ask a question?
I just came from Hot Camp Showers where they offer numerous options for hot water and shower set-up. I've not used any of these. Has anybody here? Do you see any of them as being a viable option?

Thanks!

Peter
in Denver
Peter, I think those type of hot water systems would be great for a large family or a group of hunters. But they seem a bit too much for one or two people.

However, they do sell a double solar shower. Now that sounds like fun.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #54

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Indeed!

I guess I'm wondering if those with experience in these matters would view an outside propane heated shower system as something worth having for those certain times.

From reading this thread, I come away with the opinion that a toilet is desireable - especially with kids or for night calls - but that a shower is pretty much optional. It would seem to me that an outside shower with it's own heater could be a good way to go. Not that it would be taken along every trip but when the situation would call for it. Hot Showers seems to have small units appropriate for a couple people along with the large units. This one for example... which would serve as a shower and as a water heater for clean-up and other uses...but not take up floor space in the camper.

Zodi Hot Tap Traveler Single Burner
Shower and Water Heater

Price:

Enjoy the convenience of instant hot water with push button ignition. Equipped with a stainless steel burner, this Zodi shower provides endless hot water in just seconds. Includes a rugged plastic case that doubles as a 4 gallon water container. The powerful 6v water pump delivers great water pressure. The Traveler is ideal for canoeing, kayaking, family camping or anywhere lightweight and portability are required. The compact Traveler stows easily and provides about a 25 degree temperature gain per cycle. If the water source is lower than 65 degrees it may need to be recycled in a bucket for a few minutes to reach shower temperature.

I'm new to these small campers..I haven't even gone to get my Boler yet. I'm just trying to plan ahead.

Peter
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #55

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
We have the fiberglass shower and have never used it. But it is a great place to store wet items until the next nights camp and ability to dry things out - coats, umbrellas, bathing suits, etc. Even carried home a large rose bush that I had won at a golf tournament. The nice thing about the shower is even if it gets a little dirty it's very easy to rinse out.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #56

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Kip in GA,
We purchased our Scamp 16 SD used, and it came with the front bathroom/shower. When I was thinking of ordering new, I was leaning toward either the Standard Scamp 13 without a shower, or a 16 with a side storage room to place a porta-potty in and to have a little privacy when using the p-p or changing.
We have used the shower in our Scamp twice; once to test it out, and the other time just because we could and had full hookups at the time. Other than that we use the campground facilities for showers.
The toilet is nice, but we found the porta potty worked just as well for us, and is easier to deal with when full.
The front bath takes up about 29" of floor space from front to back, leaving about 125" of floor space, so if it took up the whole front, that would only be 18% of the floor space, but it actually takes less since part of that 29" is devoted to a closet next to it.

The side dinette bed is 24" x 79" in my Scamp 16 SD (layout 6). Not sure if layout 7 from the Scamp website is the same but I would guess it is. I like that layout 7.

If I was ordering new today, I would still go with my original thoughts and just use a porta-potty and not get the shower, but that's just my thoughts, and my thoughts might be (or definitely WOULD be) affected by Marilyn's druthers.

Hope this helps,

John in GA
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #57

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our bathroom is across from the door, having a toilet is great, tank is above floor so works in winter, but grey water is below but want to retro fit the shower shower option that was not added at time it was made and will have to consider insulation for that tank.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #58

Georgia
Thanks John H.. Measurements and thoughts definitely help.

Scamp's Plan 7 does seem to visually open the space considerably. Although walkable floor space is probably the same, in Plan 6 and Plan7. . Picked up some over head cabinets and under sofa storage but lost the front closet. Seems that someone said that front sofa is near 30" deep.

The way things are shaping up, it looks like Ann and I will be able to make the Cherokee NC Rally this weekend. Gona go up Saturday. Bet there will be some good ideas there.

Kip
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #59

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Wow! 5 pages about bathrooms!

Kip our first trailer, a '87 13' Burro, had no bathroom, & the 'bunk' bed up front was quite narrow. Like you, we also do not sleep together in the trailer, but we are tall so need a trailer with enough width for longer beds. We bought a '05 Escape with bathroom for several reasons: I have health challenges that benefit from a warm shower, even when camping where there are no showers; my husband, who sleeps in the front bed, needed a wider bed for more comfort. Thinking about what your personal needs are, and camping style, is the most important.

We considered an EggCamper but did not want a front bath as we like the front window.

We actually do not use the toilet, we use the same porta pottie we used in the Burro, we just set it in the bath/shower, which is nice as in the 13' it had to slide under the bed. Might seem strange to some, but we don't want to bother with the black water dumping 'trip' and we often camp places where there is no place to dump. If camping where there are good showers, we use them, but boondocking, we use the trailer shower, me more that Mike. I find I can take a good shower by turning water on & off as needed to get wet, rinse off. And I love our shower! It feels great, I enjoy the luxury of showering in our own space. I would say it is not used a lot, but when used, greatly appreciated. The only thing we 'store' in it is trash bucket & compost bucket (yes we compost when traveling short trips).

I do miss the compactness of the 13' and feel like we are hauling around more weight just to have a shower. So I have mixed feelings about, but I know what our needs are & it works for us. If available, we'd bought a shower only trailer.

We rarely set up a table, since we prefer to be outside, but when the weather is bad and we're spending an evening "in" it is easy to fold up Mike's bedding and set up the smaller front dinette.

Don't worry too much about making a mistake in what you purchase, as you can tell, many folks on this forum have owned more than one FGRV. Lives change, bodies change, you can't really make a mistake, they are easy to sell, and you will enjoy what you purchase while you own it, and if you find out your needs are different than anticipated you'll find another.

Good luck!
Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #60

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The dozen or so posts on Pump Sprayers for Shower and Pet Care were moved to a new thread

Regards,

Matt

Tags
floorplans