Bathrooms worth the space? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #71
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
After my wife & I found ourselves "lost" in a campground with 500+ sites at 2:00AM on the way back to the tent from a run to the bathrooms, we determined that a bathroom should be essential!

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #72
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Thanks for all your replies,

I agree that while others can't accurately dictate our needs or desires, they can and do offer valuable opinions as to why they do, as they do.

We have never owned a camper as small as an "EGG". And it has been many years since we have camped. So to us it is important to talk with those that have and do camp in them.

Often times those opinions will offer really helpful ideas I/we may not have considered before. I personally consider those, that currently camp a lot, to be somewhat experts compared to us, that haven't camped for many years.

For us personally, a toilet inside the camper is a necessity and a given.
Reason is that it is likely to be used every night, more than once. Reason is that I don't care to step outside the camper, once ready for bed.

Original question was whether or not a BATHROOM was worth the space it requires in such a small environment.

I've learned a lot from asking every question that comes to mind. The folks on these "EGG" forums give wonderful answers.

And we appreciate all your efforts immensely.

FWIW we decided on and accuquired a 17' (2003) Casita recently. It has the bath up front.

Reason: Even if the Shower is never used, the toilet is there for summer use. Winter camping will likely see the use of a Porta-Pottie in the shower floor and the space above the Toilet can be used to hang winter coats and such. The wardrobe that comes with the front bath is a good place for a couple of fishing rods and other tallish things.

I get up often during the night, so my wife and I sleep seperately.

The rear dinette in the 17'er is 54 inches deep. That's 8" deeper than the 16'er. (According to Casita) A 30" wide bed across the back leaves 24" of those benches unused. So that bed can be a permenate bed and not take a lot of room.
The bench area left can be a 24 inch dinette area with a folding table. Therefore the side dinette can also be left as a sofa/bed. If we absolutely positively need to have more table space for whatever reason, the side dinette can be set up fairly quickly.

The 24" side dinette is plenty wide for me and the 30 inch bed in the back is plenty for Ann as we both tend to fall asleep and stay there all night in our house on the sofas, which have a 22" and a 24" inch deep seat.

We plan to keep reading and asking a lot of questions, and hope you folks will continue to be as kind as you have been so far!

Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #73
Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
More Storage!

I have a 16 foot Uhaul and I have not camped in it yet. I plan to use the shower area for canvas hanging storage units which are removable if we are taking a trip where there are no facilities.
kbeale NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #74
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
I moved the posts on the antifreeze pump mod to its own thread:

An antifreeze pump mod for winterizing the black tank

Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #75
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Most of the areas I have camped have no water, power, or washroom. Toilet is great and shower is sometimes better than that cold northern lake.

Borden is offline   Reply With Quote