Batteries - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2003, 07:47 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Batteries

When purchasing a car battery, I know that the more Cold Cranking Amps a battery has, supposedly, the better. However, when it comes to RV batteries, I'm not real certain of the guidelines. Since we all know more expensive isn't necessarily better, what do you look for when purchasing a new battery (price aside).

I know that it should be a Marine/RV type deep cycle rechargeable. That's a given. Beyond that, what specifics does one look for (i.e., ratings). I have noticed that, for example, Delco makes one that is sealed and maintenace free....is this considered good or bad? Since my battery is very hard to get to, it would be a tremendous asset for me if it worked. I realize there are other configurations and preferences and some use other types, but this is based on RV batteries, please.

I would appreciate all the feedback I can get. I know the time will come when I will be in the middle of who-knows-where when I need a battery and I want to know exactly what I need when I need it. Or, better yet, replace it now before that happens.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #2

I'm looking for the same informations. I want to buy a battery that I can put inside the trailer, that does not need to be very powerfull and that can be charged while I am driving. I will use it for a small water pump, little lightning and running an inverter for a 13' color TV a few hour a day, from time to time.

I know theses batteries need to be charged slowly. Will the car alternator charge it slowly enough (or fast enough) while driving and is there a chance of ruining the trailer battery (or both) in doing so?

Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 AM   #3

Batteries

Kinda depends on how you're planning to use the trailer. If you only camp with full connections, then the battery isn't very important. Heck, you almost could do without one as long as you have a converter. Buy on price.

I'd ignore CCA, but would concentrate on amp-hour capacity. I'd make sure it fits. I'm not anxious to drill more holes to get the bracket to work. I want screw terminals.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:53 PM   #4

Batteries (theoretically)

If you buy a deep cycle battery with 100 amp hour capacity it means that with a perfect battery you can run a 10 amp load for 10 hours or 3 amps for 33 hour or ???

Hope that makes sense :conf

Old 04-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #5

Batteries

Here's a site that should answer all your questions, but it gets kind of technical(read dry).

http://uuhome.de/william.darden/dcfaq4.htm

I currently am using a gel cell battery- won't leak.
I've had it 2 years now, and have swapped it from boat to camper and back as req'd. With no ill effects.
We use these batteries on our cage(I work in a mine) at work for the
radio system. They run at about a 5-8 amp draw and are typically good for 48-72 hours per full charge with a voltage of 11vdc when we take them off for recharging. They get a ton of vibration and are constantly exposed to hot/cold temperature swings.
Typical life is about 1 year. Now if you were in a trailer, you wouldn't have the constant draw, and I really don't think thesame amount of punishment we deal out.
So I would feel comfortable recommending them.
They are made by Exide. corp. and are marketed as a deep cycle mtce. free battery. The model is orbital and has an 84 month warranty

Old 04-02-2003, 06:28 PM   #6

Hi Joe
I was a Coal Miner (underground)all most 30 years.Are you talking about a Cap lamp and charger?

Old 04-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #7

Battery

Nope, on our cage ( double deck 76 men per deck) we have fancy equip. to record slack rope, vibration, depth, temperature, and other such stuff.this all feeds into a radio transmitter which goes back to surface. It's powered by the Battery I'm talking about
you can see it at this site:

http://www.exideworld.com/products/marine_...deep_cycle.html

I work for Falconbridge Ltd at Craig mine in Levack Ontario

Old 04-02-2003, 06:44 PM   #8

Joe
Thanks for responce.( For the none Miner---Cage = Elevator)
Just thought I would throw that in.:)

That Battery looks like a good deal.I wonder how a old cap lamp would work for small things like backup for furnace etc.:wave

Old 04-02-2003, 07:08 PM   #9

cap lamp

Most Cap lamps are 6volt but I imagine 2 in series would probably be good for 5 or 6 hours as a back-up

Old 04-02-2003, 07:08 PM   #10

Battery bunnies

I hate to promote another web site, but batteries, the virtues and the faults of the several types, have been discussed ''ad nauseum'' on the casitaclub.com web site. So much so, that I, for one, was more confused after reading than before. That included flaming positions on types, brands and everything in between. Some of it, I'm sure, was very good information, but also includes information on one or two obscure brands, which the poster(s) just happened to be marketing in what was apparently a MLM plan.

If you're interested, go there and do a search. But don't say I didn't warn you! You will extract some valuable information.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #11

Hi George
I think Batteries and power use will go on and on.I really don't think the question will ever be answered.There is so much info out in cyber space now that its impossible to take it all in.Take what you like and leave the rest.( Old AA saying)

Hi Joe
Good point about 6 volt cap lamps.Its an idea worth persuing, if you access to these items.;)

Old 04-02-2003, 08:59 PM   #12

Batteries

George - I think you are correct about too much information. My computer and CasitaClub.com search don't get along. I never have been able to search for anything. It's a great website and does have some great info, I'm just not able to search for it. :shg Might be a blessing in disguise if it has been 'overdiscussed.' I'd be more confused than ever. :conf

If someone has some basic understanding, then a lot of information might be good. Me, I don't know nada about nada when it comes to batteries. I think I was just wanting to know how to 'read' them so I could make my own decision....does that make sense?

Tony wrote >>If you buy a deep cycle battery with 100 amp hour capacity it means that with a perfect battery you can run a 10 amp load for 10 hours or 3 amps for 33 hour or ??? Now that I understand. That's kinda of what I was looking for. Something really simple and straight forward. A place where a no-knowledge person could start. Thanks.

I'm still open for more suggestions.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:45 AM   #13

SUZ: I'll chime in with what I know..

You want an RV/Marine Deep Cycle (takes constant recharging) and preferably a Group 27,or 24 minimum.. CCA and Ampere Hours - get the biggest battery that wil fit and that you can afford.

Buy a name brand battery. (DieHard - never heard anything wrong with them, ever). Get the top mount posts, those side mounts are for Japanese cars :o

Here in Canada? - stay away from Canadian Tire.

P.S. You were on the right track in your original post! :wave

Old 04-03-2003, 05:33 AM   #14

too much info

I agree- it's way too easy to get smothered with info.
I'm an electrician, and I still get information overload.
I posted the web site I found because it does cover the basics, then it gets too thick.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:13 AM   #15

Battery technical stuff

Rick - Thanks, that really, really helps.

Joe - Whew. That helps to know that even electricianscan get boggled down in all that stuff......:o Now I don't feel so bad.

Old 04-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #16

deep cycle

and when you get your battery here is some more helpful infohttp://www.blacklakeny.com/battery.html

:E

Old 04-03-2003, 04:28 PM   #17

Just be *sure* it says Deep Cycle (and the label should have capacity in amp-hours; the more, the better). I believe Marine mostly applies to the fact that it has wingnut terminals for ease of connect/disconnect (and might be a little beefier with regard to shock and vibration).

A Marine starting battery is of not much more use in your RV than an automotive starting battery.

Pete and Rats