Batteries in the winter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Jon. That is interesting. The panels get enough sunlight through the cover to still produce enough volts to keep the batteries topped off. I will be installing two hundred watts on the new Oliver and was wondering if I could still use a cover. Is your cover made of Tyvek? I have 450 AH in the Trojan T105 batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
The top of the cover is white Tyvek; a double layer. With a 95 watt panel, in bright sunlight I get .2 - .3 amps charging current. It even equalizes the batteries every 30 days. I have a trailer disconnect switch, so everything, including the propane detector is shut off. The only connections are the solar controller to the batteries. It has worked for 2 out of the last 3 winters; last year I did the smart thing & spent the winter along the Colorado River in Arizona: 40 nights & 75 days and 0 snow!

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #16
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
What ever you decide to do would be fine. Note that your car sits in cold temps, and the battery doesn't freeze, because whenever you drive it, the battery is being topped off by the charging system. If you keep your battery charged up when in storage, the battery should do just fine.
Dave & Paula

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #17
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Solar is a plus to keep juice going into it...but I come from the marine world, and in NJ most of my friends boats they leave the batteries in place all winter and they are similar deep cycle batteries with no problems come spring...perhaps up north where it is even colder some kind of occasional trickle charge or a smaller solar panel might be a good idea as well. I pray for a mild weekend to be able to get I am always ready to go!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
The four T105s are a factory option. I have to believe they will keep the load balanced. The battery drawer on the new Oliver is on the Port side over the axles. I had Oliver pre wire for solar with a 6/2 wire into the battery compartment.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
2015 Oliver "Setting Sail"
2011 Chevy Avalanche
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #19
Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
I pulled mine and stored in the basement. BUT up here we can hit -40C during the winter and I really don't want to freeze them. I just happen to have a new Progressive Dynamics converter and pendant that has not been installed yet so it is being used to top up the batteries once a month while in the basement.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #20
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
I have a dozen or so batteries that I got for free. They are all stored outside. I charged them all when I got them. That is how I decided whether to keep them or not. I have not charged them since. Some have been there two years now. No problems. I suspect that the batteries on your RV will do just as well, assuming they are charged. Dead batteries have more water then acid in them.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #21
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon

I keep our two Optima AGMs happy year round with the Optima 1200 digital charger that i mounted inside the lower street side bench in our PL#35, and keep the batteries in the rig for those many spontanious trips we take.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote