battery maintenance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
battery maintenance

I'm running 6V golf batteries. They are 6yrs. old and dead as a doornail. I was hoping to make it through the season and replace them in the spring but, i'm a spring and fall camper and my second season is just beginning.
In the winters I keep the batteries on the camper, plugged into a relatively modern Xantrex inverter/smart charger but, they are out in the cold.
How much does the temperature effect the overall lifespan of the batteries?
Should I suck it up and camp w/o power for the rest of the season to add some battery life in the long run? Gravity fed furnace, FTW, so heat is not an issue.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
I'm running 6V golf batteries. They are 6yrs. old and dead as a doornail. I was hoping to make it through the season and replace them in the spring but, i'm a spring and fall camper and my second season is just beginning.
In the winters I keep the batteries on the camper, plugged into a relatively modern Xantrex inverter/smart charger but, they are out in the cold.
How much does the temperature effect the overall lifespan of the batteries?
Should I suck it up and camp w/o power for the rest of the season to add some battery life in the long run? Gravity fed furnace, FTW, so heat is not an issue.
Extreme hot & cold will take a toll but I think the 6 year age is probably your dead battery cause. Are you keeping an eye on water level? You don't say what you're running in your TT or if you're using solar for charging while camping. I run very little on 12V, lights & water pump. I've been using a single high amp hour car battery for over 30 years in my RVs for house power with no problems. I do use a suitcase solar setup on occasion to top it off. Others will be along with other ideas for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery