Battery pack group 24? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Gordon, I am not in these forums to create any disagreements, I research most everything I have bought for my little camper as I do not have money to waste. The 11 years is based on the result of this research, not my opinion, not the manufacturer's marketing....
Disagreements are inevitable, but we can all share our knowledge, experience and results of research. And I respectfully disagree if you are suggesting that the average RV user can expect eleven years from the house battery. Sure - you might get there with great care and little use, but it will be an outlying case, or it will be so weak by then that most anyone would be replacing it. That is not just my opinion either, its the information I have gleamed from experts in the field.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by margvv View Post
Hi there! I'm perusing the options for a new Scamp 13' and was hoping someone could explain the options for a group 24 ($110) and group 27 ($150) battery. Are they worth the extra money? Does it affect longevity of the battery or the capacity? Thanks for any insight you have.
While I do not have the long term camping experience with batteries many here have, I have been messing around with batteries in vehicles for several decades and have formed some opinions on them (sorry for the run-on sentence).

Generally, I feel bigger is better. The 27 is not that much bigger or heavier and might just give a little more cushion in electrical capacity so why not? That said, I think the component missing from the discussion so far is what KIND of battery is it? All batteries are not created equal to all tasks. You want a true deep cycle battery. I don't know what Scamp is providing, but they probably have it figured out.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
Hi there! I'm perusing the options for a new Scamp 13' and was hoping someone could explain the options for a group 24 ($110) and group 27 ($150) battery. Are they worth the extra money? Does it affect longevity of the battery or the capacity? Thanks for any insight you have.
OK, wait till spring when the stores and sporting goods stores put them on sale for fishermen. We got a group 27 battery for $84.95!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #18

Name: Oscar
Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
Two 24s fit perfectly across the tongue in their boxes w/ handles removed.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #19
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Disagreements are inevitable, but we can all share our knowledge, experience and results of research. And I respectfully disagree if you are suggesting that the average RV user can expect eleven years from the house battery. Sure - you might get there with great care and little use, but it will be an outlying case, or it will be so weak by then that most anyone would be replacing it. That is not just my opinion either, its the information I have gleamed from experts in the field.
Diane is talking about an AGM battery. My first one lasted 8 years until someone left the fridge on 12 volts over night ( I blame the dog ). They are rated for up to 1000 charge/discharge cycles (which is about twice the standard wet cell) and have an extremely low self discharge rate. I recharge mine once in the off season. I have one because they are very safe, which makes the very high cost worth it to me. I'm hoping for 10 years. I'll let you know. Raz
Old 11-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarD View Post
Two 24s fit perfectly across the tongue in their boxes w/ handles removed.
So do two GC2 (golf cart) batteries which are more capacity, but also more tongue weight.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #21

Name: Garbonz
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
76 AH vs 89 AH so the Group 27 has 13 more AH than 24 or about 20%. Weight difference is about the same %. About 1/3 to 1/2 of these AH are useable, depending on how you charge them.

Plugged in it don't matter, but for dry camping you must figure YOUR usage of power and how you are going to charge.. To many variables here to make recommendations.

I have two trojan group 24 in my Bigfoot TC with 140 watts of solar and it is just fine, but I am careful. I do some off season (eg need furnace) dry camping and watch DVD's n the evening, so do use a bit of power.

Remember one thing. If you go to small and run the battery down, then you will be replacing it much sooner.. And if you really want to manage things you need a good monitor or volt meter to keep tabs on things.

AND I have never ever seen a battery in an RV go 11 years for nobody nohow. The environment is to unpredictable with humidity, temperature swings, uneven discharge and charge rates etc. it just don't happen. Just saying. ESPECIALLY with solar panels which do a charge/discharge cycle every day they are hooked up.

IMHO, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
AND I have never ever seen a battery in an RV go 11 years for nobody nohow. The environment is to unpredictable with humidity, temperature swings, uneven discharge and charge rates etc. it just don't happen. Just saying. ESPECIALLY with solar panels which do a charge/discharge cycle every day they are hooked up.
Not an RV battery but when the battery in my Ranger, that I bought new in '02, started getting weak I was really surprised to find it was still original and 11 years old. Guess I got a lemon as it lasted so long . That was a first.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:01 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Any idea about the weight difference between the group 24 and group 27?
24 weighs about 50 lbs and a 27 weighs about 60.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery