Battery question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
well,, batteries are another one of those things that prove,,,"you will never be sorry you bought the very best"
This may be partly true but some people should probably stick with cheaper batteries. Those who use their batteries only for a few weeks a year, overdrawing them (the easiest thing to do) forgetting to add water, not promptly recharging them or using only a converter or bulk charger instead of a multistagecharger could easily kill any battery fairly quickly. Once you are sure you can really maintain your battery for long life and are going to use it for more than a few weeks per year, then consider a more expensive quality battery.
__________________

__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
This may be partly true but some people should probably stick with cheaper batteries. Those who use their batteries only for a few weeks a year, overdrawing them (the easiest thing to do) forgetting to add water, not promptly recharging them or using only a converter or bulk charger instead of a multistagecharger could easily kill any battery fairly quickly. Once you are sure you can really maintain your battery for long life and are going to use it for more than a few weeks per year, then consider a more expensive quality battery.
Have you been spying on my battery maintenance habits?

Actually - even with the above-described "system of careful battery preservation" the Optima Blue top has lived over 10 years. I don't expect the flooded cell one on the other trailer to go much past 2.
__________________

__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
MCDenny's Avatar
 
Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post

Here is another source for comparison of the 3 types of battery. This source does say that AGM batteries are more subceptable to being ruined if the charger is not in tip top shape.
Battery Types: Flooded versus AGM and Gel

Hope this helps.

Kip
You cannot replenish the water in an AGM so if they are over charged enough to boil the electrolyte and cause the battery to vent the battery is ruined.

Three stage chargers are common, reliable and not too expensive. I personally don't think over charging is much of a risk.
__________________
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
So... the question remains. IF you are always hooked up to an electric bush when camping... do NOT boondock or have solar... do YOU need a deep cycle battery or is an el-cheapo 'car' battery (which you probably need for the brake disconnect switch) good enough? I ask, because there are a number of owners that may want to know the answer...
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
MCDenny's Avatar
 
Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Posts: 551
Your car battery is pretty much always being charged while in use, just like a trailer battery hooked to a charger always connected to an electric bush. The cheapo car battery will last just as long (5-6 yrs?) in your trailer. The fly in the argument is that is has to be connected to shore power all the time, especially when it is sitting in your back yard unused for several months. A typical car battery will self discharge itself dead in 3-4 months.
__________________
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Kip in Ga.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Posts: 459
Dead in 3-4 months

According to the battery page posted above. A flooded battery will typically self discharge about 1% per day. Depending on ambient temperature.

So yes, as McDenny said, in 3-4 months a flooded battery would be pretty much discharged. That would very likely be true whether it be a deep cycle or a car battery.

On the other hand, an AGM car battery would likely behave the same as a deep cycle AGM battery and discharge much slower.

Question is, do they even make AGM car batteries? Realizing there have been maintenance free car batteries around for years. Such as the Sears "Die Hard". Are they AGM or simply flooded batteries that are somehow sealed?

A cheap-o car battery would work fine in a camper that was plugged into camp power, but would likely have a shorter life than a more expensive one. Also IF camp power went out for several hours, and a fantastic fan and light were burning, the car battery might not do well.
Construction of car batteries and Deep Cycles are different as they have different jobs.

Another thought:

The more expensive and better quality chargers have buttons or switches for selecting Flooded or Gel or AGM. According to my "Battery Minder" charger/desulfinator, the 3 types need to be charged at different rates and/or at different cut off points.

The power supply in my 2003 Casita doesn't give me those options. I don't know if it is a multi-stage charger or single stage. AGMs were not as plentiful in 2003 as they are now. So could the camper charger do justice to an AGM or even damage it?

Kip
__________________
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
According to the battery page posted above. A flooded battery will typically self discharge about 1% per day. Depending on ambient temperature.

So yes, as McDenny said, in 3-4 months a flooded battery would be pretty much discharged. That would very likely be true whether it be a deep cycle or a car battery.

On the other hand, an AGM car battery would likely behave the same as a deep cycle AGM battery and discharge much slower.

Question is, do they even make AGM car batteries? Realizing there have been maintenance free car batteries around for years. Such as the Sears "Die Hard". Are they AGM or simply flooded batteries that are somehow sealed?

A cheap-o car battery would work fine in a camper that was plugged into camp power, but would likely have a shorter life than a more expensive one. Also IF camp power went out for several hours, and a fantastic fan and light were burning, the car battery might not do well.
Construction of car batteries and Deep Cycles are different as they have different jobs.

Another thought:

The more expensive and better quality chargers have buttons or switches for selecting Flooded or Gel or AGM. According to my "Battery Minder" charger/desulfinator, the 3 types need to be charged at different rates and/or at different cut off points.

The power supply in my 2003 Casita doesn't give me those options. I don't know if it is a multi-stage charger or single stage. AGMs were not as plentiful in 2003 as they are now. So could the camper charger do justice to an AGM or even damage it?

Kip
Optima makes 3 types of AGM batteries.

One (red top) is for car use - it is a starting battery.

One is "dual purpose" marine (blue top) - ie a combo deep cycle/starting battery

One is a pure deep cycle (yellow top)

I used a blue top for years and years, and despite my abuse of it by deep - discharging and fast recharging with a high-output single-stage charger. it is still going strong.
__________________
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,306
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Optima makes 3 types of AGM batteries.

One (red top) is for car use - it is a starting battery.

One is "dual purpose" marine (blue top) - ie a combo deep cycle/starting battery

One is a pure deep cycle (yellow top)

I used a blue top for years and years, and despite my abuse of it by deep - discharging and fast recharging with a high-output single-stage charger. it is still going strong.
According to the Optima web site they don't make a "pure deep cycle" battery. The closest is a blue top.
The C/20 rating (typical amp hour rating) is close to 1/2 that of a flooded cell battery of same size. i.e., Group 27 flood cell about 105 amp hour, Group 27 Optima 66 amp hours.

My original group 24 74 amp hour battery provided good service for 5 years. Replacement cost about $60.00
Optima Blue top DM27 (that's the smallest) cost close to $200. Expected life according some sources is about 4 years. Even if it 5 years, what's point other than putting more money into the economy?

Sometimes more expensive doesn't equate to better.
__________________

__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery Question Red-Dwarf Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 12-09-2011 05:06 PM
Scamp Battery Question Karalyn Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 11-05-2010 12:39 PM
Battery Question Greg Conly Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 05-10-2008 10:24 PM
Battery Question LeBoutillier Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 05-01-2007 09:18 AM
Battery power question Sharon Herman Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 31 03-30-2006 10:39 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.