Battery wire - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Name: Brad
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia

Hi all, our new to us Boler was trouble free, and kept us dry(it rained hard all night! )We had a blast.My question is this, there where no provisions for a battery up front so I fabricated one on the tongue whith a box, since a have a 4pin connector could I run a heavy gage cable from an isolater to the battery? Does any one know of a heavy connector for one wire?

Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I would use 8gauge insulated stranded copper wire and U can get one cut to any length at Lowe's or Home Depot in the electrical section. Some people use a 10gauge and even 12 gauge.

Remember: The lower the number the heaver the gauge and the heaver the gage the better.

Be sure to install a 30 amp circuit breaker/fuse at the tow vehicle battery end (Where you connect the wire to the isolator).

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
I wouldn't use house wire. Go to an automotive parts place and get automotive wire. Automotive wire has an insulation designed to be fire and abrasive resistant. The most important thing is abrasive resistant. Your house doesn't move and the wiring isn't moving. Different situation in auto and trailer. Look for a wire that meets SAE requirements to be safe.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
... since a have a 4pin connector could I run a heavy gage cable from an isolater to the battery?
I believe that adding battery charging to a system with only a 4-pin lighting connection calls for two new wires: the +12V charging wire, and an upgraded or replaced negative (or "ground") wire... the existing wiring contains a "ground" (usually white) wire and connection which is heavy enough for the lights, but not the battery charging current as well.

Does any one know of a heavy connector for one wire?
There are a number of connection options for two (see above) conductors, but I think a better plan is to go to a common 7-pin RV-style connection. The connectors and cable are readily available and reasonably priced.

See [b]82' 16ft Scamp battery wiring, three wire plug for onboard battery for a current discussion of essentially the same issue.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote