Bearing buddies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2003, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bearing buddies

We just blew out the bearings on a equipment trailer we have. New bearings, new hubs, new axle. Expensive and time consuming. We put off repacking those bearings just a little too long. We were wondering why they don't put grease fittings on the outside of the hub. It turns out you can buy bearing buddies or bearing protectors.
They tap on to the hub where the dust cap goes. They have a grease fitting on the outside with a spring loaded grease resevoir that keeps your bearings packed. As the spring recedes you know it's time to add more grease. At $12.00 a pair they seem well worth it.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 08:33 PM   #2

Bearing Buddy Downside

If you use bearing buddies, and your inside grease seal leaks, the grease ends up all over your brakes.

I recoment to NOT use bearing buddies on a trailer with brakes.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 05-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #3

Howdy, Apparently there is a replacement torsion axle that has a grease nipple in the cap area and I`m guessing has a hole into the area between the inner and outer bearing which can be greased as required without disassembly. Right about the bearing buddies being messy on travel trailers and NG for brakes.......Benny

Old 05-21-2003, 07:47 AM   #4

Oh darn, they seemed like a great idea. How often do you repack the bearings on a tt?

Old 05-21-2003, 06:47 PM   #5

Hi
I do it at start of each camping season.Every Spring.:wave

Old 05-21-2003, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by Chester Taje

Hi
I do it at start of each camping season.Every Spring.:wave
Howdy Ches, Right and also doing it every season hopefully lets you know of impending bearing failure when you check your races...Benny

Old 05-23-2003, 04:25 PM   #7

The Dexter axles with the grease nipples are called EZLube and the difference between them and bearing buddies is that BBs keep the grease under pressure which puts extra stress on the seal and helps dump the grease if they leak. OTOH, the pressure helps keep water out of the boat trailer bearings if they are dunked.

In either case, you should use the special seals that are made with two (not one) seal lips and an integral spring. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find them except from Dexter and Scamp (haven't tried Casita). The regular parts places cross-ref the Dexter number (in my case 10-60 for the 1 1/16" axle) and give me a seal that either only has one lip or the second lip doesn't stand as high as the first (IOW, they are not parallel).

Pete and Rats