Bed sizes - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree Norm that on the 16' Scamp the modifications needed to make the bed 54" wide are easy and the kitchen in yours is large enough that shortening the kitchen counters would work. But in the 13' that isn't the case, the standard kitchen is only 44" wide with only about 8" between the sink and stove, remove that 8" and the kitchen becomes the same size as my casita Freedom Deluxe = no counter space
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #62

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ian.

Sorry I was really responding to Marky's comment about the 16.

I suggested to Scamp that they consider a front kitchen. That would free up the rear of the trailer making for some new possibilities. I do under stand this changes balance and the like but there's no doubt that small fiberglass trailers need some fresh thinking. Maybe the Nest will drive some changes.

In many of the Class Cs you now see powered beds that electrically unfold. Very fast 'bed make up' may reduce the necessity for a continuous made up bed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #63
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ian.

I suggested to Scamp that they consider a front kitchen. That would free up the rear of the trailer making for some new possibilities. I do under stand this changes balance and the like but there's no doubt that small fiberglass trailers need some fresh thinking.
No problem Norm
We love the front kitchen in our Boler, and it has allowed us to make the rear dinette / bed a true double at 54". The extra front weight from moving the kitchen forward can be offset by relocating items (ie. battery, water tank, etc) behind the axle). All these changes need are a focus on the all the implications .. design, function, weight, ... I also wish some more of the FGRV manufacturers would try some different designs and floor plans.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #64

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Scamp has very good designs in their 16' trailers. These designs have been developed over many years. I hadn't realized that the molds for their fifth wheel is the same design for the 16. Scamp already has a lot of options to choose from, so adding more molds might complicate the manufacturing line.
Then again next time you go into a Walmart or a mall look around and people are getting bigger. Times have changed, 30 years ago we didn't have fast food, we didn't have hamburgers, pizzas, etc. Everything was home cooked. Most people had jobs that were more physical. I don't mean to offend anyone or say that everyone needs a larger bed but things change. The new houses now have a minimum of a queen bed. You can't even find a hotel now with a full bed.
Scamp doesn't have a two month waiting period for a trailer because they are hurting for sales. Also there isn't a whole lot of room to expand the bed in a 16. It will take some innovation and engineering to put in a full bed in the 16. Scamp also has the 5th model with a queen bed, but then not everyone has a truck. We'll see what new innovations Scamp has for us in the future. Who knows maybe 2014 has 17 in the works?
Marky
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #65

Texas
I've seen where they use the fold down microwave door in the Casita Freedom Deluxe as a counter. Maybe a fold out table or fold down cabinet door can be implemented for more counter space. They could even make a slide out board above the silverware drawer for more counter space.
Marky
Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #66

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Ian.

I suggested to Scamp that they consider a front kitchen. That would free up the rear of the trailer making for some new possibilities. I do under stand this changes balance and the like but there's no doubt that small fiberglass trailers need some fresh thinking. Maybe the Nest will drive some changes.

In many of the Class Cs you now see powered beds that electrically unfold. Very fast 'bed make up' may reduce the necessity for a continuous made up bed.
They already offer counter space which wraps around the front all the way to the front closet and adds a front window. There are several like that which are more than a quarter century old.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #67

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I agree Norm that on the 16' Scamp the modifications needed to make the bed 54" wide are easy and the kitchen in yours is large enough that shortening the kitchen counters would work. But in the 13' that isn't the case, the standard kitchen is only 44" wide with only about 8" between the sink and stove, remove that 8" and the kitchen becomes the same size as my casita Freedom Deluxe = no counter space
Of course, when extra counter space is needed(seldom) you can use the table.
Or, in case the bed is made up, here is our solution...( that's the stove cover, locked into the drawer.)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG   Pic013.JPG  

Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #68

Registry
Quote:
here is a picture of "Shelly" which was a gutted older 13 Scamp which we added a SMEV kitchen (only 32"). This was done to accommodate a full Queen sized bed which came all the way to the door.
The bed was permanent and the front was converted to a dinnette. the table can serve as counterspace when needed. I considered just a "loveseat" in the front and extending the countertop all the way to the front, but that could be done with a "fold up"
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 008.jpg   May 2009 023.jpg  

May 2009 019.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #69

Registry
Quote:
Ian.

I have considered building a front kitchen 13 Scamp.
I once owned a 1969 Thorobred (12' stickbuilt) which was a front kitchen. The trailer slanted forward in a very anti-aero design. That made the kitchen very "usable".
The Scamp slants "backward" in the front, which would affect the "usability" of the kitchen even without an upper cupboard...
It is still doable, and I still hope to build one some day.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #70

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
I agree Norm that on the 16' Scamp the modifications needed to make the bed 54" wide are easy and the kitchen in yours is large enough that shortening the kitchen counters would work. But in the 13' that isn't the case, the standard kitchen is only 44" wide with only about 8" between the sink and stove, remove that 8" and the kitchen becomes the same size as my casita Freedom Deluxe = no counter space.
Our 13' Scamp has a 54" bed and has a lot of counter space, but to be fair, it is a Deluxe. I could see using a fold-up shelf between the stove and the couch on a Standard model.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01230.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #71

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Hey floyd, love your Shelley. I've always thought a queen in a 13 was doable with a closet mod; yours is the first I've seen. The way we'd use a 13, I'd take bed size over counter space any day.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #72

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you have a Princess in your fiberglass trailer, you don't need a queen.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #73
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course, when extra counter space is needed(seldom) you can use the table.
Or, in case the bed is made up, here is our solution...( that's the stove cover, locked into the drawer.)
Very nice Floyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Our 13' Scamp has a 54" bed and has a lot of counter space, but to be fair, it is a Deluxe. I could see using a fold-up shelf between the stove and the couch on a Standard model.
Dave & Paula
OK Thanks David, I have never seen one in person and Scamp's website does not show your floor plan. They should because I think is would be a very popular option.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #74

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
They have been making them for quite a while, as mine is a 1990, and the one sold here looks the same, but is quite a bit newer.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post430934
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #75

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
2013 Standard Scamp 13 ft

The sales folks at scamp mentioned to me that a 54 inch width was available on the standard scamp instead of the 48 inch, you lose some of the closet space and counter width by the sink/stove area. We naturally chose that option.

Todd
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #76

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Here's the new Escape 21 bed. It's a 52x80 front bed. We love it. Very comfortable (and cozy).
Kathie
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09752.jpg  

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #77

Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1375927946.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	67104

This is how they put a full size bed in a Scamp Deluxe. They cut into the counter.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Attachment 67104

This is how they put a full size bed in a Scamp Deluxe. They cut into the counter.
That is on the 16 (and sometimes on the 5er)
This is how it's done on the 13(no overhang)...
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #79

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaken2157 View Post
The sales folks at scamp mentioned to me that a 54 inch width was available on the standard scamp instead of the 48 inch, you lose some of the closet space and counter width by the sink/stove area. We naturally chose that option.

Todd
That's 54" instead of 44",and only on the 13 (just to clarify).
Old 12-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #80

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That is on the 16 (and sometimes on the 5er) This is how it's done on the 13(no overhang)...
They did a real nice job at Scamp. Thanks for the picture. I know there are others that would like to see the difference.

Marky