Belly Band Care - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Belly Band Care

I've put several coats of Meguiar's Pure Wax 56 on the fiberglass. What should I use to keep the belly band in good condition?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Belly Band

Use Mothers aluminum polish

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If it's already shiny, any good wax will work to "seal" against the aluminum corrosion. I've just made friends with the patina look.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
I've put several coats of Meguiar's Pure Wax 56 on the fiberglass. What should I use to keep the belly band in good condition?
Keeping the aluminum band it's self looking good is easy and the above suggestions I think are good.

The problem will be the mold that develops on the sealant. Outside of stripping it off and using something else, I think that will be a lost cause. Wiping it down with a moldicide or weak bleach solution might help in the short term but it take a nearly constant effort.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #5

Washington
Thanks! Since I already had the Meguiar's Wax I started with that, and the rag keeps turning black... I just may get to liking that patina look!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Here's a tip

use a toothbrush and comet soft scrub w/bleach on the sealant above the belly band..works wonders

Mothers polish on the bely band and the door hinges...now theres something
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: 2002 13' Deluxe Scamp
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
use a toothbrush and comet soft scrub w/bleach on the sealant above the belly band..works wonders

Mothers polish on the bely band and the door hinges...now theres something
Just bought a 13' 2002 Deluxe Scamp front complete bathroom (all original, just like it came off the special order line). The little gem sat outside for a while unattended and I need to clean the sealant above the belly band. Can't find that particular comet product. Is it just called "soft scrub with bleach?" I have the toothbrush. Thanks for the tip. Jeff
Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 AM   #8

Washington
I've been using Awesome Cleaner from the Dollar Store on bugs and whatever settles on top of the belly band, and it's worked great. That was a tip I got from this Forum. I do have multiple coats of wax on the fiberglass, so that really helps.

Sorry, I don't know if the different brands of Soft Scrub w/Bleach are all the same.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #9

Name: Evan & Sue
Trailer: 1986 13' Scamp
Iowa
Just look in the regular cleaning products at a big box store. Got mine at Walmart. Just called SoftScrub with bleach
Old 08-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildStat View Post
Just look in the regular cleaning products at a big box store. Got mine at Walmart. Just called SoftScrub with bleach
Got it at Lowes. Thanks. Comet actually makes a Soft Scrub product with bleach so I thought I might give that a try. Smaller quantity. Haven't gone on the attack yet.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
I've been using Awesome Cleaner from the Dollar Store on bugs and whatever settles on top of the belly band, and it's worked great. That was a tip I got from this Forum. I do have multiple coats of wax on the fiberglass, so that really helps.

Sorry, I don't know if the different brands of Soft Scrub w/Bleach are all the same.
Thanks. Comet actually makes a Soft Scrub style product with bleach. There's also Soft Scrub with Bleach. Plan to attack with the Comet product soon.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #12

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Comet powder is abrasive.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Comet powder is abrasive.
Not comet powder..soft scrub gel with bleach made by the same folks.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I used bar keepers friend for bad oxidation, very mild abrasive (like dust) and wood bleach. Tooth brush will do the seam and clean off worst of the patina. I think soft rag such as t-shirt works better for rubbing the crud off of the aluminum.

Simichrome polish works well, I purchase at an auto parts store, like real auto parts store NAPA not the we have common parts chain but you can get it on Amazon too. https://www.amazon.com/Nunn-Finer-Si.../dp/B00BSJYQ9S

Leaves silicon/wax behind to seal the metal. Have also used Nevr-Dull to pre-polish before Simichrome. Available at home improvement big box stores or Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Basch-Never-D.../dp/B0014IGAWO

I think one could do Nevr-Dull and use any wax as a follow up. I just like the Simichrome because I used to use it on motorcycles, held up well.

The one thing I have found is a problem is the aluminum polish generates a lot of black residue which will stain on an older fiberglass with dull (micro pitted) gel coat. Good coat of Zep or the other liquid floor wax used on old trailers applied first will help but I ended up working sections with blue masking tape to mask off the white hull from the aluminum being polished. Seemed easier than getting the stray black smudges off of the sides.

One last thought, the oxidation protects the metal underneath. It becomes a barrier between the metal and the air (oxygen) that would pit and eat the aluminum. If you scrub it off you need a wax/sealer of some sort or aluminum will simply rapidly oxidize until it creates that barrier to slow it down.