Bermuda Trillium - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2003, 01:31 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Making Progress...

I weighed the a/c and the hotwater heater, plus all the plywood surround and such. It comes to about 125 lbs. I am quite sure all of that on one back corner was causing problems with swaying.

The hot water heater is very rusty because it was sitting in water and it was never drained. I tossed it. Didn't look worth saving.

I have two different kinds of ant poison in the trailer now and I've scrubbed out most of what I can reach. I have had a fan going in the bench compartment for several days. When I have to close it all up I am going to put in two of those water absorber things meant for closets. I figure that will continue to dry it out. Eventually I'll be in Utah (where they recently set a record for 3% humidity) so I think it will eventually be REALLY dry, then I'll glass it over.

The stove top was starting to rust, so I scrubbed it down with steel wool and sprayed it with high heat grill paint. I was worried about the silver but it looks greqat. Only the tiny silver insects stuck in the paint are marring the new finish (urgh!).

The big challenge right now is trying to figure out how to hold the window in place since the original brackets are long gone.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:50 AM   #16

Hi JR,

What a nightmare you lived on your first trip! The bright side is that it can just improve!;)

If your trailer is built like mine, there is space under the plywood floor of the storage area in front and rear of the trailer.

There is probably water there, a private swimming pool for your unwanted tenants.

Putting the tongue on the ground will bring some of the water in the front where you can sponge it out. There will still be water trapped in the lower part of the shell, rear of the weels. On my trailer, I made a 1/8" hole on each side to evacuate this water.

Hope this will help!

Alain

Old 07-25-2003, 01:01 AM   #17

I don't know how I missed reading this, but when I did, I was cringing the whole time. scary. and I agree. that weight in the back will make the trailer flop all over the road. we blew two tires and still didn't know what was wrong. we had just loaded the back of a 30ft trailer with tools. 25 mpg was almost too fast for that one. figured it out on the scond tire. the trailer came up off the trailer hitch when we raised the wheel for changing. Yes, we hadn't connected that right either. Lesson learned, but good. guess I'm trying to say, some of use have been there too. I'm just glad your 180 had a good ending.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:49 AM   #18

Thanks Jana!

Things are progressing nicely. I am almost to the point of being able to post pictures. The curtains are done, the cushions are almost done. I need to do a few more tweaks, then I can test the electrical system again... (crosses fingers).
Old 07-27-2003, 08:30 PM   #19

Progress

Quote:
Orginally posted by JR Holland

Things are progressing nicely. I am almost to the point of being able to post pictures. The curtains are done, the cushions are almost done. I need to do a few more tweaks, then I can test the electrical system again... (crosses fingers).
:banana Way to go!
Old 07-28-2003, 05:21 AM   #20

Treating Rotting wood

You may want to use some polyethylene glycol (PEG)to paint any areas where water has been standing on your floor. IT KILLS FUNGUS DEAD. It also replaces moisture in the wood. When it dries, soak the area with some wood restorer. Minwax makes it in a qrart can. It is similar to resin and will add some stability to weakened wood. Good luck. I just got my 16' Oef and had sway problems as well, regardless of if iot was loaded or MTY... I got new radials and a sway bar and make 70 knots without a tremor now. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:22 PM   #21

Hello JR, :wave
Sorry about your misfortunes, but glad you are ok. You know, I think your experience was worse than the kid's trip from hell I told you about.
There's something to be said of getting all the bad stuff out of the way in the first week. Smooth traveling from now on. Call us if you get out this way.
Darline
Old 07-30-2003, 12:45 AM   #22

Thanks!

I will call you if I get out that way. I am excited about the finishing touches I am still working on. In a few days I plan to test her out on a trip to a family reunion trip to Pennsylvania. The friend I am staying with has a digital camera. I'll put up photos ASAP.

Tags
trillium