Best outdoor carpet for rain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Best outdoor carpet for rain

We're planning a trip to the Pacific Northwest and it's going to rain. Has anyone found a rug that works well outside in those conditions? Trying to keep out the mud! Thanks!
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a 9'x12' patio mat I bought at Walmart. Typically when it rains I only unfold 2/3 of it and it easily cleans off with a hose when at home.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Out...ental/21907585

Before stepping inside the trailer, I have a "scratchy" door mat to wipe the pine needles, etc. off the soles of my shoes.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AstroTurf...Cocoa/44186649

Just inside, I use a rubber-backed welcome mat to dry my shoes. When it's raining, I want to keep as much moisture off the floor/carpet as I possible can.

This works for me!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

California
Thank you - this looks great!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I use the same type of mat Donna suggested. You can get them on sale at Camping World but Walmart often has them much cheaper in the summer months. With the woven design it lets dirt and water drain through it. Because its plastic it drys fast.

I made a bag out of water resistant nylon to roll mine up and put into if I need to pack it up wet or dirty. That way I can still carry it in the trailer without getting the inside of the trailer dirty. Just spray it off with the garden hose to clean.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
we have bought two patio mats on ebay. One is 9 X 12, the other is 6 X 8. I believe they are a polypropylene material. Hose off good and dry quick if you can hang it over something. They both came with a carry bag, fold up accordion style, and were free shipping. You can sorta see one in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0289.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
We also have the woven polypropylene carpet/mat and it keeps lots of dirt out of the trailer. I find myself sweeping the mat once a day or so.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
We also use a polypropylene foldable mat (our is 6 x 8) that was purchased on sale at Camping World almost 10 years ago. It has loops in each corner that we slip a large spike into (we have a washer added just under the head) and these keep the mat from moving anywhere. And we also use a bag to hold it so that no sand or dirt is left in the trailer or car between uses.

We have a snap-in carpet in the Outback and therefore cannot place a small mat in the entrance way---we'd be unable to open the screen door if we did----so we always remove our shoes and place them on the outdoor mat beside our box step. With the awning out, they are protected...and the trailer stays cleaner.

One thing---I have friends who purchased the mat from Walmart and it didn't stand up well to the sunshine. The plastic filaments cracked and broke from the UV rays. From what I read online, the ones to purchase are UV resistant.

Just a thought....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Some campgrounds do not let you use them because they say it kills the grass.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

New York
Good point Darwin, and if you look at our photo we have ours partially on the grass so we are in error. Fortunately we were only on that site 2 days, but next trip we kept it entirely on the gravel surface as that campground now specifies. The mats are great for dirt or sandy sites.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Some campgrounds do not let you use them because they say it kills the grass.
Very true but I have normally only seen that a private campgrounds that are set up for big rigs.

The majority of state parks type campgrounds usually have a large enough gravel or paved parking spot for the trailers that with the small trailers there is usually room for the use of a mat without needing it to be on grass.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Very true but I have normally only seen that a private campgrounds that are set up for big rigs.

The majority of state parks type campgrounds usually have a large enough gravel or paved parking spot for the trailers that with the small trailers there is usually room for the use of a mat without needing it to be on grass.
If they are in the shade they don't kill grass whereas a tarp would. They are used all the time by dog show people on nice grassy areas. I have not run into any parks that didn't allow them on grass (but I haven't stayed in RV parks.) But I think out in the hot sun anything plastic would cause the grass to burn.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I made a bag out of water resistant nylon to roll mine up and put into if I need to pack it up wet or dirty. That way I can still carry it in the trailer without getting the inside of the trailer dirty. Just spray it off with the garden hose to clean.
This is a great idea. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #13

New York
Easier yet, buy one that comes with a carry bag, both of ours did
Old 10-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Patio Mats, where they are supposed to be placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
we have bought two patio mats on ebay. One is 9 X 12, the other is 6 X 8. I believe they are a polypropylene material. Hose off good and dry quick if you can hang it over something. They both came with a carry bag, fold up accordion style, and were free shipping. You can sorta see one in this picture.
verytime we pull into a Campground we are told not to put mats on the grass as it kills the grass and it takes time to get it to grow again. Only supposed to be put on the gravel areas of your site.
You can also get these mats in 6'X9' and I have also seen one or two 4'x8' sure would like to know where those were bought.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #15

New York
I have also seen one or two 4'x8' sure would like to know where those were bought.
Stude[/QUOTE]

4 X 6 and 5 X 8 are available, at both Camping World and ebay. I want a 12 X 12 to put in our screen room, can't find that size, so have to use a 9 X 12
Old 10-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Public campgrounds in the West, most often, have trailer/parking pads only the width of the trailer/auto and have no room for a large outdoor carpet. Therefore, we only use doormats outside and inside our trailer. We have found this "Clean Step Mat", "As Seen on TV", to fit the bill. It is more like carpet yet is machine washable. Because it has a low pile we can use in inside our door and the screen doors glides over it. I, typically, cut one mat in half and put one outdoors and one indoors. As to rain, there's really not much you can do to prevent wetness coming into the trailer or the auto. Clean Step Mat | Front Door Mat | As Seen ON TV.com Shop

STD SIZE 18"x28" $19.99 + $7.99 S&H qty doubled, 2 for $19.99, just double the S&H
LG SIZE 24"x36" $29.99 + $8.99 S&H same deal
RUNNER 24"x60" $39.99 + $9.99
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gilda, I haven't camped nearly as many places as you, but I have found everywhere we've been has enough room for one of the smaller rugs. The pads are designed to accommodate full 8' wide RVs with some space to spare- 10' wide, maybe? Our Scamps are pretty small, so you can park to one side or at an angle. Turned 90 degrees by hand, you can use even the largest rugs.

Bob, I did not know there was a 4x6 size. That is exactly what I have been wanting. We just need a clean space by the door to remove shoes. I found one on Amazon as well. Thanks for the information!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #18

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
We have sometimes just left ours folded in half. It doesn't seem to be unusually slippery or anything else like that.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #19

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
You can also find the plastic mats at dog shows. Or, search the internet for woven polypropylene mats.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
You can also find the plastic mats at dog shows. Or, search the internet for woven polypropylene mats.

Mon
Yes, and then you get preprinted pawprints instead of having to make your own!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote