Best paint other than gelcoat for interior fiberglass pices - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #1

Name: Nathan
Trailer: 1980 Scamp
Michigan
Best paint other than gelcoat for interior fiberglass pices

I need to repaint all the interior fiberglass items. What paint will hold up well vs gelcoat ?

Thanks
natem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Try Interlux marine polyurethane enamel. I painted my Boler with it and is holding up great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natem View Post
I need to repaint all the interior fiberglass items. What paint will hold up well vs gelcoat ?

Thanks
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Might try the Krylon Fusion series of paints available in rattle cans at Lowes type stores. Specially formulated for no-primer use on plastics but might work just as well on fiberglass and gel coat.

Comes in several colors my customers use on my parts to match their brand of campers

I'd try for a scrap of fiberglass panel from a boat fixit place to experiment with.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Best is Interlux Briteside marine paint, but be sure to use the special primer first, it should only last about 100 years as an interior paint. Expensive, but worth it...
I have done two FGRV exteriors with this stuff with excellent results from a novice painter

Second best would be Rustoleum MARINE paint. Hard to find in stores, but readily available from Amazon, etc. on-line. I did a tent trailer restroation with this product and found to to be very good and a lot less expensive. BUT.... it has to say MARINE on the can to be fiberglass safe. I have seen a lot of non-marine paints peel off of fiberglass.

That said: I don't know if I would start spray painting the interior of my trailer with something that "Might" work on fiberglass. Not only that, spray can overspray will get on everything....

Good Luck.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Michigan
Well u purchased some interlux paint primer and special thinner. Weather permitting I may be spraying them with paint on Wednesday.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

Interlux products are designed to give excellent results using the "Roll & Tip" application method. Sparying interiors just adds unnecessary work me thinks....

Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

Michigan
All the pieces are allready removed from the camper. I had to pull them to remove the rotted floor and weld the frame
Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I like Interlux Perfection but it requires careful application and requires a quality respirator. The fumes can kill you if sprayed and inhaled without protection. It is much safer with tip and roll method. This paint is very thin but rock hard and can be scrubbed, even sanded and polished. I use it extensively on the interior of my boat--with fans on high, work fast, and I leave immediately when done painting.

I also use Interlux 2000E as a sandable primer to make surfaces perfectly flat. It fills in wood grain nicely and produces painted panel incomparably better than anything any other paint can produce.

Finally, you must use it up or toss it out. It can't be put back in the can as it is mixed from two parts. I use it up and anything handy like saw horses or other boards. To give you can example I have several boards I use to prop up one of my boats when working on it. I have left these outside for several years and dirty washes right off and look like they were painted last week.

It all depends on what you want for a final result.

This is the paint that will last 100 years. Brightside is not the 100 year paint. The names have changed. Perfection is the new name and it lives up to that name.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
White epoxy appliance paint, no priming, hard finish, easy to use and fairly in expensive. On the rear benches I just paint the lower face below the table top slot to prevent chipping.
Eddie
Rust-Oleum Specialty Appliance Epoxy: Paint & Home Decor : Walmart.com
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #10

Which to Use????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
This is the paint that will last 100 years. Brightside is not the 100 year paint. The names have changed. Perfection is the new name and it lives up to that name.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmm... Sounds to me like you have offered a number of reasons to not use the Perfection product.

While on boats, where painted surfaces are often also contact surfaces and/or constantly submerged, higher wearing and water resistance qualities are important, about the only walking done on my FGRV's painted surfaces is that by skeeters etc., and summer rains and winter snows usually don't replicate submersion issues.

So, I guess that the Briteside is at a disadvantage in that it's might only last 10 or so years, but then again, it sounds like using Perfection could keep me from living that long as well.

I'll stick with the Briteside with it's single part, ease of application, lower price and fewer user safety issues. And, if I feel like changing colors in a few years, I won't feel bad about wasting 90 or so years of life when I cover the existing color..

But, need I say "To each their own choices...."?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
As others have said just watch the fumes. It takes quite a while before they disappear and it is bad until then. Our whole yard stank when we did the outside of our Boler for several days.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #12

I'll bet your downwind neighbors just loved you for that. The MSDS sheet for Interlux Perfection has significant further warnings that, IMHO, should restrict it's use to all but the most professionally experienced and equipped painters. Here's a clip:

Inhalation: Harmful if inhaled. Causes nose and throat irritation. Vapors may affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness,
headache or nausea.
Eyes:
Risk of serious damage to eyes. Do not get in eyes. Protective equipment should be selected to provide protection from
exposure to the chemicals listed in Section 2 of this document. Depending on the site−specific condition of use, safety
glasses, chemical goggles, and/or head and face protection may be required to prevent contact. The equipment must
be thouroughly cleaned, or discarded after each use.
Skin: Causes skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed. May cause abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or drowsiness.
Chronic Effects: Possible cancer hazard. Contains an ingredient which may cause cancer based on animal data (See Section 2 and
Section 15 for each ingredient). Risk of cancer depends on duration and level of exposure.
HMIS Rating: Health: Unknown Flammability: Unknown Reactivity: Unknown

Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #13

Concerning MSDS Sheets etc.....

Q: Why did New Jersey get all the toxic waste dumps and Washington, D.C. get all the politicians?

A: New jersey got first choice.....

Tags
paint