Best wax (or whatever) to have an egg shine? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I use the 303 on my awning it works great.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #16

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
When I replace the rivet caps I soak the caps in a plastic bag with 303 in it prior to installing the new rivet caps.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #17

Name: AnnaP
Trailer: 1989 Scamp
Texas
Paint the egg?

I just purchased a 1989 Scamp and the outside is dull. My son says I should have it painted but upon reading your threads, it sounds like cleaning it and going for a marine wax is the way to go. Is this the case of mother knows best? My first experience with updating an RV.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Anna, always try the easy fix first. Clean with the Bar Keepers Friend, then use wax of your choice. I used the liquid BKF, then rinsed well with water hose and sponge, came out good. A good paint job will be expensive. Our theory, it's not a show piece, we use it.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Use Zanio....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
No, no, no, it's not old! It's our 2012 ParkLiner. I hope this weekend to wash it and want to put a real good coat of something on it before we get our custom-fit Calmark Sunbrella cover. I'll figure something out, thanks folks!

Frank

Frank,

I see yours is a NEW trailer. I assume it is in excellent condition.

I keep my trailer in a garage, wash it after every outing (just like my cars).

Zanio is an excellent polymer was that will provide a "show car" shine,

Zaino Store

DO NOT use bar keepers or any other abrasive on a new gel coat. Wash it with Z7 wash, clay bar it Z18, wash it with Z7, apply Z5, wait 4 hours, buff it off, spray with Z6 ultra clean....

apply Z2, wait four hours, buff it off, wipe of residuals with Z6 ultra clean, apply 2nd coat of Z2, wait four hours, buff it off, wipe of residuals with Z6 ultra clean....

Do it every spring...it will shine like nothing else...better than new
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Sounds like a LOT of work for a new gelcoat trailer. I've only use clay bar on paint, I've never used it on gelcoat. I'd still consider Mequires long before I would go through all the work of using some of this other stuff... YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
He has a NEW trailer

Donna,

The original poster has a newer trailer w/o oxidation. My assumption is that it is in excellent condition. A lot of people are telling him to "bar keeper" friend scrub it with abrasive ....or use floor wax (it yellows or peels).

Would you do either of those to a car? I know I would not. Zanio is a polymer sealant better than wax. Here is my Car with Zanio

I can take 1 weekend and have my Scamp SHINY for the whole summer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5036.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
How does Zanio hold up on kitchen floors?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #23

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Donna,

The original poster has a newer trailer w/o oxidation. My assumption is that it is in excellent condition. A lot of people are telling him to "bar keeper" friend scrub it with abrasive ....or use floor wax (it yellows or peels).

Would you do either of those to a car? I know I would not. Zanio is a polymer sealant better than wax. Here is my Car with Zanio

I can take 1 weekend and have my Scamp SHINY for the whole summer.
The OP wasn't asking about what to put on a car. No where in my post did I suggest an abrasive. You are using a clay bar on paint, which is what it's designed for. Remember too, there's a reason clay bar comes in different ranges, different levels of abrasion. Unless you buy Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, which is probably the least abrasive. I maintain, the OP will get exactly what he wants and that's to protect the gelcoat, by using a wax designed for gelcoat such as:

Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I am with Donna, stick to products designed for use on fiberglass. Have used 3M Marine products on boats and my trailer for years with great results. Both new and old.

And nope it doesn't work well on kitchen floors either but it will make the trailer shine! ;-)

Marine Product Selector, 3M
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #25

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I have used 3M , Nu Finish and Meguiars on both my trailers . They all seem to work well and the biggest difference I see is cost and ease of application > I think it is more important to keep a layer of protection on the fiberglass then which product provides that protection . I gave my Casita 2 coats of Nu Finish last fall and it appears to be holding up well sitting outside ,uncovered in the Harsh Wisconsin Winter. I can not wait for July to come so I can wash and wax the trailer in preparation for the upcoming Summer camping season
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #26

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
I find it interesting that people are suggesting boat products to use on a travel trailer, just because they are both made of fibreglass. To me there is much more in common with a FG car than a FG boat, i.e. a Corvette! Therefore checking the detailing threads on the [ Car Care Discussion - Corvette Forum ] makes more sense than researching boating information. There are a lot of detailing fanatics in the car world! But in reality there is no difference between a good FG paint job and one on metal—the care is the same!

My Corvette is 13 years old and I would put the shine up against any new showroom Corvette or RV. The first thing I did when I got 'er last summer is clay bar. The difference in feel between a typical car's paint and post clay bar is night and day. Running your fingers over the paint, you feel the friction, the drag. After clay bar, the paint is dead smooth and has a frictionless oily feel. This is before any waxing, and is how the paint should feel. Then I applied a two-part acrylic German product called Klasse. Everyone has their favourite, some like Zaino, some like Meguiar's, some like Adam's, etc. I think the key is in the application and buffing the polish, regardless of the make.

When I get a FG trailer, if I can get the FG to shine like the 'vette, I'll be happy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shine.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	68158
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Craig, I have no position on either approach, I plan to use floor wax, but the difference I see is the Corvette is painted, where the trailer is gel coat. I am not sure if this makes any difference.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #28

Oregon
Yep, clay bar paint... then wax. Just clean and wax new(er) unpainted gelcoat.