Best wax (or whatever) to have an egg shine? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
He has a NEW trailer

Donna,

The original poster has a newer trailer w/o oxidation. My assumption is that it is in excellent condition. A lot of people are telling him to "bar keeper" friend scrub it with abrasive ....or use floor wax (it yellows or peels).

Would you do either of those to a car? I know I would not. Zanio is a polymer sealant better than wax. Here is my Car with Zanio

I can take 1 weekend and have my Scamp SHINY for the whole summer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5036.jpg  
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How does Zanio hold up on kitchen floors?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Donna,

The original poster has a newer trailer w/o oxidation. My assumption is that it is in excellent condition. A lot of people are telling him to "bar keeper" friend scrub it with abrasive ....or use floor wax (it yellows or peels).

Would you do either of those to a car? I know I would not. Zanio is a polymer sealant better than wax. Here is my Car with Zanio

I can take 1 weekend and have my Scamp SHINY for the whole summer.
The OP wasn't asking about what to put on a car. No where in my post did I suggest an abrasive. You are using a clay bar on paint, which is what it's designed for. Remember too, there's a reason clay bar comes in different ranges, different levels of abrasion. Unless you buy Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, which is probably the least abrasive. I maintain, the OP will get exactly what he wants and that's to protect the gelcoat, by using a wax designed for gelcoat such as:

Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am with Donna, stick to products designed for use on fiberglass. Have used 3M Marine products on boats and my trailer for years with great results. Both new and old.

And nope it doesn't work well on kitchen floors either but it will make the trailer shine! ;-)

Marine Product Selector, 3M
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have used 3M , Nu Finish and Meguiars on both my trailers . They all seem to work well and the biggest difference I see is cost and ease of application > I think it is more important to keep a layer of protection on the fiberglass then which product provides that protection . I gave my Casita 2 coats of Nu Finish last fall and it appears to be holding up well sitting outside ,uncovered in the Harsh Wisconsin Winter. I can not wait for July to come so I can wash and wax the trailer in preparation for the upcoming Summer camping season
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #26

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
I find it interesting that people are suggesting boat products to use on a travel trailer, just because they are both made of fibreglass. To me there is much more in common with a FG car than a FG boat, i.e. a Corvette! Therefore checking the detailing threads on the [ Car Care Discussion - Corvette Forum ] makes more sense than researching boating information. There are a lot of detailing fanatics in the car world! But in reality there is no difference between a good FG paint job and one on metal—the care is the same!

My Corvette is 13 years old and I would put the shine up against any new showroom Corvette or RV. The first thing I did when I got 'er last summer is clay bar. The difference in feel between a typical car's paint and post clay bar is night and day. Running your fingers over the paint, you feel the friction, the drag. After clay bar, the paint is dead smooth and has a frictionless oily feel. This is before any waxing, and is how the paint should feel. Then I applied a two-part acrylic German product called Klasse. Everyone has their favourite, some like Zaino, some like Meguiar's, some like Adam's, etc. I think the key is in the application and buffing the polish, regardless of the make.

When I get a FG trailer, if I can get the FG to shine like the 'vette, I'll be happy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shine.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	68158
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Craig, I have no position on either approach, I plan to use floor wax, but the difference I see is the Corvette is painted, where the trailer is gel coat. I am not sure if this makes any difference.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #28

Yep, clay bar paint... then wax. Just clean and wax new(er) unpainted gelcoat.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #29

Registry
[QUOTE=David Tilston;441232 but the difference I see is the Corvette is painted, where the trailer is gel coat. .[/QUOTE]

Yup thats the BIG difference! Boats are also gel coat thus the reason the same products are used on fiberglass trailers.

Using a light cleaning compound for gelcoat boats & trailers if done correctly will give you that same smooth feel you are obtaining using the clay bar on a painted car.

The problems come with our trailers as has been said is when they are left for long periods of time with little or no protection and the gelcoat will oxidize. Once you deal with that issue it pretty simple to keep them shiny with a good waxing a couple of times a year.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Abrasive..not on a new trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I used Meguires Marine wax. Since our trailer is 30 years old I cleaned it first with Bar Keepers Friend. I've seen a fiberglass camper done with the floor wax, and it had a unique shine, but I prefer to use a product made for a specific application, thus the fiberglass marine wax. Just my personal preference.

Donna,

This was what I was telling the OP NOT to do as his trailer is pretty new. Bar Keepers Friend is abrasive.

And I would NOT recommend floor wax as was posted at the start of this thread.

Ultimately, it will be up to the OP to figure out and research what he wants to do on his trailer.

It's all good....stay warm and 40 days til spring..
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #31

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
Most interesting! I didn't realize that FG trailers come gelcoated (like boats) from the manufacturer. Heck, I've never heard of gelcoat so did some research. The products are different for cleaning & polishing, but the process is similar for cars, boats, and travel trailers. You need products that are designed for each target. First step is cleaning, next step is applying a preserving sealer. Some yacht sites recommend carnuba wax. I have carnuba, but rarely use it because it is my experience that it lasts far shorter than car synthetic polishes, so on a boat exposed to constant water and humidity, I find it hard to believe it would last at all.

The one thing I will never do is put floor wax on a trailer or anything else outside. Floor wax is designed for sheltered indoor use, and not for an environment of weather—acid rain, UV exposure, and extreme temperatures. My experience in life is that UV degradation is the worst thing that happens over time to any synthetic product out in the elements. Gelcoat will be no different.

There are quite a few trailers out there that have been custom painted. With paint, then car products will be ideal. With gelcoat, boat products specifically for gelcoat will be best.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #32

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I understand your reluctance to use floor wax. The points you raise are valid, but.... Take a look at this thread of testimonials, all 47 pages:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

While the floor wax will not last forever, it is easy to strip off and do again.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #33

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
As one of the posters in the "NOT Poliglow" thread, I would like to reiterate some of the wisdom on this current thread. The Red Max and Zep floor products are not wax, but rather a much harder, more durable, synthetic product. I had spectacular results when using Red Max on a ten-year old trailer that had probably never been waxed and was stored outside in intense UV conditions. I tried to restore it using conventional wax, but the gelcoat was so chalky, the results were mediocre. Maybe I could have done better with many more hours of re-waxing and buffing. That being said, my current trailer was stored indoors prior to my purchasing it and the gelcoat is still in good shape. So I am maintaining that condition with Meguires wax. But my trailer is stored outdoors at my current residence and I may eventually lose the battle. If that happens I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Red Max (now Zep) product. The OP on this thread has a new enough trailer that conventional wax products should still be the way to go.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
I tried to restore it using conventional wax, but the gelcoat was so chalky, the results were mediocre. Maybe I could have done better with many more hours of re-waxing and buffing. .
You can put all the wax in the world on a fiberglass trailer with a chalky finish and it will never shine. You need to buff off the chalky stuff off the gelcoat first using a compound specifically designed for that. Once the chalky finish is off then wax away - it will glow for years to come assuming you take steps to protect it yearly by re waxing.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #35

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
What preparations do I need to do to my egg before I wax? Will pressure washing it with soap/water work?
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #36

Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Arizona
Zep all the way! It took my 1992

scamp to looking new right away!
GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
What preparations do I need to do to my egg before I wax? Will pressure washing it with soap/water work?
No, no, no! No pressure washing. THAT will blast perfectly good sealant away from areas that you want to keep sealed up.

Did you read the referanced thread?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you're not careful, you can blow off the gelcoat with a pressure washer.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #39

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post

What Donna said. Use old fashioned elbow grease. Hand scrub, rinse, check for areas that need re-cleaning, and then clean and rinse again.

Then seal and shine it.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #40

Name: Greenfairy
Trailer: Trillium 1974
Quebec
From Home depot in montreal
the zep trio do wonders!
Sterose is offline   Reply With Quote