Best wax (or whatever) to have an egg shine? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterose View Post
From Home depot in montreal
!
The OP has a 2012 trailer! No need/reason to contaminate the gelcoat with floor sealer to get a good shine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #42

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have been using Meguiar's Flagship Marine Wax (liquid, not paste) as I'm a newbie to waxing and was afraid I wouldn't do a good job with the paste. I do have a couple of questions...I have waxed once this year with the above product. Can one wax as often as desired, or would there be a build up of wax (like a floor) that would be undesirable?

Second, since I've never taken a waxing "class," all I've ever done is rinse trailer with water, wash with soapy water (little bit of Dawn dish detergent), dry and then apply the Meguiar's liquid wax in small areas with a microfiber applicator, wait for haze, and then use one side of towel to remove haze, other side to rub in circles for a while. Don't know what else to look for or do?
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #43

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I have been using Meguiar's Flagship Marine Wax (liquid, not paste) as I'm a newbie to waxing and was afraid I wouldn't do a good job with the paste. I do have a couple of questions...I have waxed once this year with the above product. Can one wax as often as desired, or would there be a build up of wax (like a floor) that would be undesirable?

Second, since I've never taken a waxing "class," all I've ever done is rinse trailer with water, wash with soapy water (little bit of Dawn dish detergent), dry and then apply the Meguiar's liquid wax in small areas with a microfiber applicator, wait for haze, and then use one side of towel to remove haze, other side to rub in circles for a while. Don't know what else to look for or do?
I've not used any of Meguiar's stuff, but it sounds fine, and like you're doing it okay. The buildup question is one for Meguiar's, but I don't think you'll have any buildup problems, especially if you're washing it with dish detergent before application.

Best of luck to ya!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #44

New York
Registry
Should I be using something else than Dawn detergent? That's what I use as I read of others using it here. Just a small amount. I would want to use something "better or preferred" if you and others would like to suggest! With no experience prior, I always run my questions here!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #45

Name: Elisabeth
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Texas
Registry
Zep'd

After reading every post on the forum, I took the plunge. I Zep'd the Hobbit Hole this week. Here's my method:

1. Washed with Dawn dish soap.
2. Scrubbed the really terrible spots with TSP. I highly diluted the powder in water and sprayed it on with a plastic bottle. It was the only thing that worked on the nasty rock guard over the front window.
3. Scrubbed the entire trailer with Bar Keepers Friend. Rinsed. Let dry and then rubbed the surface again with a dry towel to remove the white chalk.
4. Painted the boo-boo on the front corner with rattle-can Rustoleum. It's not perfect, but it's mine.
5. Applied 4 thin coats of Zep with a low nap microfiber rag that I pre washed to keep the color from transferring onto the gelcoat.

Below are the results. Note: to the best of my knowledge, this 1977 Trillium has lived its entire life outside in the Oklahoma and Texas sun. I can't believe it's so shiny!

Thank you to everyone on the forum, who contributed to these threads. It's great to know where to turn for information.
Attached Thumbnails
before.jpg   before3.jpg  

after.jpg   after2.jpg  

Elisabeth Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #46

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth Crisp View Post
After reading every post on the forum, I took the plunge. I Zep'd the Hobbit Hole this week. Here's my method:

1. Washed with Dawn dish soap.
2. Scrubbed the really terrible spots with TSP. I highly diluted the powder in water and sprayed it on with a plastic bottle. It was the only thing that worked on the nasty rock guard over the front window.
3. Scrubbed the entire trailer with Bar Keepers Friend. Rinsed. Let dry and then rubbed the surface again with a dry towel to remove the white chalk.
4. Painted the boo-boo on the front corner with rattle-can Rustoleum. It's not perfect, but it's mine.
5. Applied 4 thin coats of Zep with a low nap microfiber rag that I pre washed to keep the color from transferring onto the gelcoat.

Below are the results. Note: to the best of my knowledge, this 1977 Trillium has lived its entire life outside in the Oklahoma and Texas sun. I can't believe it's so shiny!

Thank you to everyone on the forum, who contributed to these threads. It's great to know where to turn for information.
Where are the pics?!? We need proof!

Sounds like you were very successful, good for you.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #47

Texas
Registry
Pics should be up now. Refresh your screen. They didn't load the first time.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #48

New York
Wow! Yer gonna hurt yer eyes!

Nice job!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #49

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Elisabeth,

Nice job!

Question: you wrote that you used BKF then rinsed. I've got the stuff in my hand saying rinse within one minute. Obviously one can't do a whole camper in one minute...so.....I like your way much better. Did you do this inside? You didn't notice anything funky happening since you didn't rinse within a minute?

Any reason why you didn't use sealer before the gloss coat?

I'm all for time savers.....so I'm going to do the same with my Burro! (unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #50

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
Elisabeth,

Nice job!

Question: you wrote that you used BKF then rinsed. I've got the stuff in my hand saying rinse within one minute. Obviously one can't do a whole camper in one minute...so.....I like your way much better. Did you do this inside? You didn't notice anything funky happening since you didn't rinse within a minute?

Any reason why you didn't use sealer before the gloss coat?

I'm all for time savers.....so I'm going to do the same with my Burro! (unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
It's probably more accurate to say that I worked in sections and rinsed as I finished that section. Honestly, I didn't even read the can. I used BKF like I would if I were cleaning the bathtub. My husband and daughter were helping me. We used a sponge with a scouring pad attached to one side (the really cheap kind from the grocery store.) Be sure you wipe the chalky stuff off with a towel after the trailer dries.

We did all of it outside in 95 degree heat. Other than making me miserable, the temperature had no impact on the finish. The Zep did dry really fast. Watch out for drips. Once it dries, you can't get the drip off. Wear gloves. The finish feels like hard nail polish on your skin.

I didn't use a sealer because I'm lazy. I didn't want to add another step to the process. The first coat did take a lot longer to apply than the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th coats. The parched fiberglass really soaked it up.

This worked for me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #51

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good job Elizabeth, it looks great. I was stationed in north Texas and know your heat and humitity. I'm in the SoCal desert now and did the Zep thing on my SD17 but was able to use a friends airplane hanger for the Zep, it was still 102 in there but only 10% humitity and no sunlight on it. I read many posts on Zep before I used it and have to say after the first coat I thought maybe I made a big mistake cuz it looked like *rap but as I did more it turned out great. As others have said the forth coat is the sweet spot for shine. I did a fifth just cuz I had enough left in the bowl and it only took 20 minutes to do it. Wish you could buy this stuff in a quart. I'm in a tourist/camping town and see many moulded eggs and have given enough Zep to a few egg owners to shine their trailers up. Had to laugh at the first guy I met with a Casita. He drove by our camp and set up camp two mile away, said he was just about blinded by the shine on mine
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #52

Texas
Registry
Wish it came it quarts too. I have enough left to wax a gymnasium!

I live in San Antonio, so I'm used to about 60 percent humidity. 10 percent must feel like an easy bake oven.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #53

New York
Registry
I use meguiars premium flagship marine wax in the liquid form and I like the results, plus it's easy for me to apply and buff off. I also just bought the paste version and am going to try my hand at it.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I think one of the issues that the fraidy cats are having with using zep is that they keep calling it floor wax when in fact there is no wax in it nor does it say it contains wax anywhere on the container I've used it on 6 different trailers with varying degrees of damage or poor finish and they all turned out beautiful . I just refinished my newest trailer a 76 1300 trillium that was rear ended had to replace lower rear corner I painted with a spray bomb as close to color as I could. I then lightly sprayed the bottom half from door around to fridge vents on other side ,looked like a poor paint job until I went over it with the zep now it looks like I painted the whole trailer turned out fantastic
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #55

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Frank, as soon as I can, I'm going to apply RejeX to Ten Forward. I've already bought it (Amazon Prime!), just need to wait for some cooler, cloudy weather to apply it. There's several Escape owners that are using it and seem very satisfied. I think it's going to be especially really effective on the loft nose section and the wheel wells. I'm going to apply it to the WHOLE trailer.

RejeX: Nothing sticks but the SHINE
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #56

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Frank, as soon as I can, I'm going to apply RejeX to Ten Forward. I've already bought it (Amazon Prime!), just need to wait for some cooler, cloudy weather to apply it. There's several Escape owners that are using it and seem very satisfied. I think it's going to be especially really effective on the loft nose section and the wheel wells. I'm going to apply it to the WHOLE trailer.

RejeX: Nothing sticks but the SHINE
Donna, we're prime members too. Is this what you got?

Amazon.com: Corrosion-X 61002 Rejex 16oz Bottle: Automotive

I'm older than the hills, but still open to a good shine!

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep Frank, that's exactly what I bought. Notice it can't be applied when it's hot or on a bright sunny day.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #58

New York
I've been waxing stuff on cloudy days a long time Donna. I use Nu Finish on gel coat, and have for many years, but am more than happy to try something with such a great recommendation!

Enjoy your weekend,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #59

New York
Registry
Hi Donna,

I clicked on your link thinking that Rejex would be pricey stuff, but it's actually very reasonable. Once you get your carport raised, you'll have no problems worrying about rain. Don't know about your area, but our weather reports are so inaccurate these past few years with my luck it would rain!

I read the full write up and I am very excited to learn of this product. It did say old wax would soften underneath, so I'm wondering what would be best to wash it off with first? Would you mind re-posting to this same thread with your thoughts/results afterwards?

Cheers,

Wendy

Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #60

New York
[QUOTE=CampyTime;474206]It did say old wax would soften underneath, so I'm wondering what would be best to wash it off with first? Would you mind re-posting to this same thread with your thoughts/results afterwards?
/QUOTE]

Most automotive waxes will come off with a good washing with dish detergent.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006