Best wax (or whatever) to have an egg shine? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Best wax (or whatever) to have an egg shine?

What do you experienced folks with eggs use for a finish to get them to really pop? I want to put a real good finish on that will not only protect the shell, but really pop when I'm heading down the road. I tried the search function, but I think it doesn't like me...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
what would you use on a fiberglass boat, that's what I would use.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Frank, it depends.. truly. If the gelcoat is gross, caulky and fading fast.. lots of folks have applied ZEP floor finish and are raving about the "look." It requires some sweat equity to get the trailer steller clean because any dust, dirt or grime gets sealed under the ZEP.

If the trailer is in good condition, some really like Mequires products... especially the marine grade wax... etc., etc., etc.

In the end, it depends on the effort you want to put out.. how often you are willing to apply the product and your expectations when finished.

Remember, ANY wax is better than NO wax. IMHO.

So... what exactly does your trailer need?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Just so you know, it's easy to do a search on the FGRV forum. Look at the tab titles in white print on navy blue background above; "User CP, Register, Registry, FAQ, Community, Calendar, New Posts, Search," etc. Click on "Search" and go to the bottom of the drop-down menu to "Google Search" and enter words related to waxing such as "wax, polish, ZEP, Max, Mequires, etc. You should find LOTS of advice. It may depend on how old/worn your FGRV is as to what product(s) to use.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #5

New York
No, no, no, it's not old! It's our 2012 ParkLiner. I hope this weekend to wash it and want to put a real good coat of something on it before we get our custom-fit Calmark Sunbrella cover. I'll figure something out, thanks folks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ask the boating peeps, they are more apt to actually wax their form of RV, but be prepared for sticker shock. Boat peeps seem to really like to put money into that hole in the water that owns them.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ask the boating peeps, they are more apt to actually wax their form of RV, but be prepared for sticker shock. Boat peeps seem to really like to put money into that hole in the water that owns them.
We've had lots of boats over the years, so there very well may be stuff in the shop I could use. Failing that, I'll figure something out.

Our current boat is painted, so that's out. I want stuff for bare shiny gel coat. I do know where to get it! I just figured folks here would have some sort of FGRV secret...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #8

New York
I used Meguires Marine wax. Since our trailer is 30 years old I cleaned it first with Bar Keepers Friend. I've seen a fiberglass camper done with the floor wax, and it had a unique shine, but I prefer to use a product made for a specific application, thus the fiberglass marine wax. Just my personal preference.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My fiberglass repair (boat) shop recommend these 3M products and I have had very good results keeping surfaces looking really great. The Finesse-it does a really great job prepping for the final wax job. These are for newer finishes. They use other products prior to these for highly oxidized finishes.
Eddie
3M 35928 Finesse-it II Marine Glaze - 1 Quart : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Waby, 1-Liter: Automotive
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Coming from the boating world I also second the use of the 3M products. If you dont have a lot of cauky finish to deal with and as its a new trailer I suspect you dont, they have a product called Marine Cleaning and Waxing. If the trailer has heavier oxidization issues then use their Marine Restore & Wax product. You can use just a micro fiber cloth to use both but if you want a really good shine a power puffer with a wool disk on it will turn up the shine. If you have serious oxidization and scratches they have a more serious compound you can use called Marine Super Duty Compound - due to the age of your trailer I wouldnt think you would need that.

The Finesse-it product Eddie mentioned works great but I have only used it after a heavier compound such as the Super Duty Compound to get rid of any swirl marks form the compound buffer. It works GREAT! I do know their product literature suggests it can be used for cleaning and removing light oxidization as well, but personally have not used it for such so cant saw if its any better or not than the two products mentioned above. Might have to give it a try in the spring when I do my one day annual good cleaning and waxing of the trailer.

Once you have used one of the cleaner wax products - you should add at least another layer of wax to it - actually the more layers you add the shiner it gets :-) 3M also sells a wax but to be honest once you have it all clean and shiny using the cleaning products it hard to say what works the best. Have tried several different waxes on the trailer and boats over the years - including some higher end car paste waxes. My current fav for the trailer is called Collinite Marine Paste Wax... pretty popular in the marine world. Seems to last well.

I BTW am often asked if my 21 year old trailer has ZEP or another popular floor wax on it and people are always surprised when I say no its just marine cleaners and a good waxing. The trailer didnt come to me that shiny though it looked a lot like a lot of older trailers that had sat out in the sun for 16 years with no maintenance done with no shine at all to it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you want it to pop clean the trailer really good and wax it with your high end carnauba waxes that you have to buff off. Then wipe on Mothers brand spray bottle of Showshine. Showshine is a liquid wax you apply with a micro fiber cloth and polish the surface by hand easy piezy. The shine on my car was amazing. Then when you wash your trailer it will be easier and just wipe on a touch of Showshine to maintain the shine between waxings’.

On my trailer I use the Zep method since it was made in 1986 and lived a life outdoors it needed more help than a full buff out. On your 2012 trailer I wouldn't go the Zep route myself.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If you want it to pop clean the trailer really good and wax it with your high end carnauba waxes that you have to buff off. Then wipe on Mothers brand spray bottle of Showshine. Showshine is a liquid wax you apply with a micro fiber cloth and polish the surface by hand easy piezy. The shine on my car was amazing. Then when you wash your trailer it will be easier and just wipe on a touch of Showshine to maintain the shine between waxings’.

On my trailer I use the Zep method since it was made in 1986 and lived a life outdoors it needed more help than a full buff out. On your 2012 trailer I wouldn't go the Zep route myself.
Sounds good Steve, thanks, great idea! I use a product like that Showshine on my hot rod and F-150 too!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Doesn't anybody else use Amazon.com: 303 Products 30350 Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz.: Automotive ?
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTim View Post
I use it on my Bronco with a vinyl top and the exposed vinyl on my boat but as of yet not on my Scamp. I guess I could use it on my vinyl bag awning.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I use the 303 on my awning it works great.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
When I replace the rivet caps I soak the caps in a plastic bag with 303 in it prior to installing the new rivet caps.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #17

Name: AnnaP
Trailer: 1989 Scamp
Texas
Paint the egg?

I just purchased a 1989 Scamp and the outside is dull. My son says I should have it painted but upon reading your threads, it sounds like cleaning it and going for a marine wax is the way to go. Is this the case of mother knows best? My first experience with updating an RV.
AnnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #18

New York
Anna, always try the easy fix first. Clean with the Bar Keepers Friend, then use wax of your choice. I used the liquid BKF, then rinsed well with water hose and sponge, came out good. A good paint job will be expensive. Our theory, it's not a show piece, we use it.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Use Zanio....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
No, no, no, it's not old! It's our 2012 ParkLiner. I hope this weekend to wash it and want to put a real good coat of something on it before we get our custom-fit Calmark Sunbrella cover. I'll figure something out, thanks folks!

Frank

Frank,

I see yours is a NEW trailer. I assume it is in excellent condition.

I keep my trailer in a garage, wash it after every outing (just like my cars).

Zanio is an excellent polymer was that will provide a "show car" shine,

Zaino Store

DO NOT use bar keepers or any other abrasive on a new gel coat. Wash it with Z7 wash, clay bar it Z18, wash it with Z7, apply Z5, wait 4 hours, buff it off, spray with Z6 ultra clean....

apply Z2, wait four hours, buff it off, wipe of residuals with Z6 ultra clean, apply 2nd coat of Z2, wait four hours, buff it off, wipe of residuals with Z6 ultra clean....

Do it every spring...it will shine like nothing else...better than new
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sounds like a LOT of work for a new gelcoat trailer. I've only use clay bar on paint, I've never used it on gelcoat. I'd still consider Mequires long before I would go through all the work of using some of this other stuff... YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote