Best Way To Clean Interior and Exterior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

Name: Tedra
Trailer: Trillium
California
Best Way To Clean Interior and Exterior

Hi!
I just bought my first FGRV and I am looking for opinions on the best way to tackle the dirty job of cleaning the inside and outside of the camper before the remodel. We are not looking at painting the exterior or much of the interior since we want to keep the original green color inside.

I have been reading and some say to use ZEP and Borax for the exterior. Should I use a wax after? Bleach and water clean it up nicer? Different products you use to clean her up nice outside?

I read that for fibreglass inside the best way to clean is with white wine vinegar in a spray bottle with circular motions and if tough stains do not lift to use baking soda and wipe clean with water... Of course I would only go this route for inside since that'd be a pain in the butt to do all on the exterior!

Opinions and suggestions? I would love to know how you got your beauties sparkling like new.
crazyboutatrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Tedra, congratulations on your new trailer, and welcome to the FGRV family.
You can use many different fiberglass restoration products that offer great results. 3M makes good products for fiberglass boats, and which product to use varies on the degree of oxidation (dullness) of your trailer. Finish up with a good wax. Bar keepers friend is good to use on stubborn stains. Only use the ZEP or Red Max Pro (same as ZEP) if your finish does not respond to the rubbing compounds.
Best of luck, and remember, we all enjoy before and after pictures.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with David. I like to thin the Barkeepers Friend power to a thin paste with water so it is gentler on the fiberglass. After washing (using Barkeeper's Friend as needed), rinsing thoroughly, and drying, I used Meguiar's marine polish and wax, with excellent results and a moderate gloss. I'd probably do two coats of wax if it's been neglected for a while, and then every six months after. I ordered the Meguiar's from Amazon.

Alternatively, after washing, rinsing and drying, apply 4-6 thin coats of Zep high gloss floor wax. You just wipe it on with a rag, no buffing. It gives more of a wet-look gloss and lasts longer than marine wax (typically 1-2 years), but it has to be stripped when it's time to re-do. Zep and stripper are sold in big box home stores like Home Depot.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I'm listening. Thanks for your information.
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

California
Thank you both!

Did you scrub the inside fibreglass with the same products or normal household products?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Barkeepers Friend is available at Home Depot and is a very fine abrasive cleaner. Think Ajax or Comet, but much finer. Won't break the bank.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've never cleaned the inside fiberglass with anything other than a damp cloth with a little dish detergent. I've thought about trying a Magic EraserTM pad on a few scuff marks near the floor, but in four years of ownership, they haven't bothered me enough to bother. Barkeeper's Friend might also work, but go gently. The inside shouldn't need to be polished or waxed, just cleaned.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I've never cleaned the inside fiberglass with anything other than a damp cloth with a little dish detergent. I've thought about trying a Magic EraserTM pad on a few scuff marks near the floor, but in four years of ownership, they haven't bothered me enough to bother. Barkeeper's Friend might also work, but go gently. The inside shouldn't need to be polished or waxed, just cleaned.

Perfect!

She comes home tonight and I can't wait for my two days off to give her a good scrubbing!
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Barkeepers Friend is available at Home Depot and is a very fine abrasive cleaner. Think Ajax or Comet, but much finer. Won't break the bank.
Unfortunately here in my small town the only store that sells Barkeepers is out of stock.

I'm looking into ZEP since it seems to be a recommendation to use on other FBRV threads and searches but there's so many different kinds I'm not sure which is the appropriate one to use
Old 05-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #10

Name: Ia
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
How about cleaning the wall/ceiling carpet? Would a steam cleaner work..? Is the carpet held up with adhesive, and if so, would the steam compromise the adhesive...?
Stavig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
For the Trillium interior,

- Shouldn't require much to clean the interior fiberglass gelcoat, soap and water. I used an orbital polisher and polishing compound to remove scratches in the gelcoat countertop and on the gelcoat backsplash, etc.

- For the ensolite liner, we've used many cleaners (scrubbing bubbles, TSP, etc). My DW used a steam cleaner (212 degrees F) at one point. The ensolite liner is EXTREMELY sturdy.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:14 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyboutatrillium View Post
Unfortunately here in my small town the only store that sells Barkeepers is out of stock.

I'm looking into ZEP since it seems to be a recommendation to use on other FBRV threads and searches but there's so many different kinds I'm not sure which is the appropriate one to use
It's Zep Wet Look, blue gallon jug. Might as well get the stripper too just to have it on hand for when the time comes.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
For the Trillium interior,

- Shouldn't require much to clean the interior fiberglass gelcoat, soap and water. I used an orbital polisher and polishing compound to remove scratches in the gelcoat countertop and on the gelcoat backsplash, etc.

- For the ensolite liner, we've used many cleaners (scrubbing bubbles, TSP, etc). My DW used a steam cleaner (212 degrees F) at one point. The ensolite liner is EXTREMELY sturdy.
Thank you for this!

It puts my mind at ease that it's stronger than I imagined. Thought I was going to start scrubbing and just ruin the whole interior lol.