Best way to stop a leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Unhappy Best way to stop a leak?

I've just replumbed my 1980 Scamp with plastic pipe. The toilet inlet fitting leaks, from the threaded plastic side (1/2"), the clamped tapered side is holding fine. I've tried several times wrapping the threads with teflon tape , it's now dripping slower. I purchased a 1 oz. tube of pipe joint compound, but the How-to websites say tape should work better on plastic. Before I use the joint compound, has anyone got a suggestion? (I got tired of cleaning up water (fortunately it's in the shower), so I installed a low-point drain so I could drain the system each time before taking the fitting loose again.)
Thanks
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence W View Post
I've just replumbed my 1980 Scamp with plastic pipe. The toilet inlet fitting leaks, from the threaded plastic side (1/2"), the clamped tapered side is holding fine. I've tried several times wrapping the threads with teflon tape , it's now dripping slower. I purchased a 1 oz. tube of pipe joint compound, but the How-to websites say tape should work better on plastic. Before I use the joint compound, has anyone got a suggestion? (I got tired of cleaning up water (fortunately it's in the shower), so I installed a low-point drain so I could drain the system each time before taking the fitting loose again.)
Thanks
Teflon tape for water comes in two thicknesses. The thin tape is normally white on a blue spool. The thick tape is pink on a pink spool (Lowes). Today at Home Depot they had the thick tape (white) on a red spool. The thick tape really seals better. Also check your plastic female fitting closely they will sometimes crack.
The yellow teflon tape is for gas fittings.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Teflon tape for water comes in two thicknesses. The thin tape is normally white on a blue spool. The thick tape is pink on a pink spool (Lowes). Today at Home Depot they had the thick tape (white) on a red spool. The thick tape really seals better. Also check your plastic female fitting closely they will sometimes crack.
The yellow teflon tape is for gas fittings.
Eddie
Teflon comes in a paste sealer as well...

Teflon Tape, Teflon Thread Sealant

Also, if you can find one, replace the fitting it may be cracked or the threads may be overcut.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
My inlet valve leaks also and drives me insane. What I just did (seriously, five minutes before reading this!) was to put an inline valve in the line right before the toilet. I figure I'll just leave it closed most of the time as we usually use the campground restrooms but I can turn it "on" in an emergency if I have to and the water leakage will only be for a minute or two as opposed to all the time.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I keep running into situations where prior owners have used teflon tape on compression fittings. Doing that can create problems. I don't know if what you've got there is pipe or compression fitting, but it's a thought.

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #6

Name: Lee Ann
Trailer: currently shopping
New Hampshire
Anyone out there familiar with Love Bugs?

I think I'm about to purchase one however now I'm told that the front and rear windows (which are slider style) were bolted shut by previous owner and that the back one had a leak which the current owner plugged with silicon? I'm starting to get cold feet about this, the trailer is a 1973, and all redone inside & out but the fact that when it was refurbed that the windows were not properly replaced or resealed worries me. Also, apparently there's no dining table, removed by prior owner. Beyond this it actually is a very nice looking little trailer but I've not seen up close as it is 13 hrs from me. Help! Advice please. Thanks
Lee Ann
Lee Ann P. is offline   Reply With Quote