Best ways to lighten the load? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
THANKS ALL,

The truck is a Nissan Frontier (190 horsepower). I'd get a 13' but it would get tight for the two of us plus 100 lbs of dog (a significant weight disadvantage). I'm pretty much stuck with the truck because the mileage is so high.

My dog would really like that weiner vehicle.

Mike

Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #16

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
You think a fridge weights that much more than an ice chest with ice? It can't be that big of a difference can it? It would be interesting to know what a fridge weights full of supplies versus an ice chest with the same supplies and iced down.

We just took a 3 way fridge unit out of our camper. I had to get it weighted to ship......before I put it in the shipping box I weighted it. It weighted 50(USA)pounds.We also took out the 2 burner gas stove with cover 10 pounds.Stainless steel sink with over & fauchest......another 10pounds(not counting plumping fixtures) 6.5(USA)gallon hot water heater...30pounds.

Still have the gray water tank and freash water tank for sale ...so I have not weighted them. maybe this will help you decide a little bit

Lynn

Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #17

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
THANKS ALL,

The truck is a Nissan Frontier (190 horsepower). I'd get a 13' but it would get tight for the two of us plus 100 lbs of dog (a significant weight disadvantage). I'm pretty much stuck with the truck because the mileage is so high.

My dog would really like that weiner vehicle.

Mike
Well... if you can't 'trade up' to a more powerful tug, use what you have and realize that you might not be able to run at 60 per (or more) all day long. As long as the manufacturer has rated the vehicle to tow the weight, go ahead and go Scamping!

-- Dan Meyer
Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 / 1990 Chevy S10 PU
Quote:
Thanks Donna,

I'll look into the alternative heaters. Good idea to leave the food till last when possible. We are also trying to decide A/C or not for weight reasons. I have heard that it is essential in hot weather though. Although my truck is a weight weenie when it come to towing, I don't want to drop something I'll wish I had later.

Thanks again,
Mike
Unless you are camping in low desert, I question if A.C. is a necessity. We spent a good amount of time in the high desert in the 70s and 80s and rarely used A.C. Generally the ceiling fan vent was more than adequate. Likewise along the Gulf Coast. A good Fantastic Fan or other high volume ceiling vent fan does a remarkable job of making the inside comfortable. Usually during the heat of day, you aren't inside anyway.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #19

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
I don't understand the problem. I have a similar sized, compact truck, also with 190 hp. I have absolutely no problem pulling my fully equipped, 17' EggCamper with all our supplies. In fact, the truck is rated at 5600 lbs; while that might be more than I'd want to pull, I wouldn't hesitate for a trailer up to 3500 lbs.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
I don't understand the problem. I have a similar sized, compact truck, also with 190 hp. I have absolutely no problem pulling my fully equipped, 17' EggCamper with all our supplies. In fact, the truck is rated at 5600 lbs; while that might be more than I'd want to pull, I wouldn't hesitate for a trailer up to 3500 lbs.
I wonder if Mike's has the same tow cap. If so most 16/17 ft'ers would work. Of course with a 100 pound dog along that will decrease his tow cap a bit! LOL...............

That being said, ID has more mountains to conquer than FL so even though you can pull your EggCamper with ease, he may face a few more challenges when driving to their favorite camp spot. But it should still be do-able, though maybe a little less get up and go.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
and carry only light beer
Yvon Chayer
The only problem with this line of thinking, is that you would need to bring twice as much of the light stuff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Mike,
If you haven't already settled on a fgrv, take a look at EggCamper. I live in NH (w/mountains, albeit smaller than ID), and tow my 17' EggCamper pretty easily with my 3.0 liter Toyota Sienna.

Ron

Quote:
I am looking at 16ft Scamps and Casitas. My truck is on the smallish side in horsepower even though the manufacturer's tow rating is more than adequate. My goal is to find the best way's to lighten the load.
Does anyone know the weights of items like the hot water heater, shower, big fridge vs small etc? Also what would you throw overboard and live without to get lighter?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
I am looking at 16ft Scamps and Casitas. My truck is on the smallish side in horsepower even though the manufacturer's tow rating is more than adequate. My goal is to find the best way's to lighten the load.
Does anyone know the weights of items like the hot water heater, shower, big fridge vs small etc? Also what would you throw overboard and live without to get lighter?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
This might be a good place to raise the question of fiberglass propane tanks. I saw these on another thread. I'm thinking of going from two steel tanks to one of the translucent fiberglass ones (so I can really tell how much liquid is in there, since I won't have a spare to switch over to). For me, tongue weight is a concern, and this would have almost a direct impact on the weight. I have heard some comments about reluctance of some propane stations to re-fill them. And then there is the issue of not being able to go to Lowes or Walmart to exchange them if there is no propane station nearby. Anyone have any experiences with these?

Parker
Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #24

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Parker,

I recently strongly considered getting a fiberglass tank when the old (no longer legal to fill with old valve) propane tank on my Boler was getting close to empty. In my case, the propane company was actually selling them (i.e. no reluctance to fill them).

I think I read that there is only one state (LA?) that has problems with them, and even that might have changed by now. I can't imagine that too many places would not fill them these days, but I can't say for sure (thing is, at least where I've been, most of the "marginal" type places only exchange cylinders now anyway, so most of the places actually filling them are "pros").

I didn't end up buying one, and here were my factors:

1) They are more expensive, but that didn't really put me off for a one time purchase.

2) They are lighter, which would make them easier to handle and lighter on the tongue, BUT when you really think about it, they are the largest percentage lighter when empty (9# tare weight vs. 18# tare weight for a 20# tank), but much less of a percentage lighter when full. That is, the propane in the tank weighs the same either way. So the weight "loss" wasn't as great as it first appeared. 9# at best for my one tank.

3) The clincher for me was that I would have had to modify my perfectly good tank hold-down system. It would have to be completely different to hold down a fiberglass tank.

So, considering all of the above, I went with another steel tank. At less than $30, I figured I can change my mind in future if I want to. That's not to say the fiberglass tanks aren't nice though. I was close. It was #3 that put me over the edge.

Raya
Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I e-mailed the company that makes them about using my two bottle hold down clamp on my Scamp and the person said they had no idea what I was talking about.
Makes you wonder if they know what there doing.

Bill K

Quote:
3) The clincher for me was that I would have had to modify my perfectly good tank hold-down system. It would have to be completely different to hold down a fiberglass tank.

So, considering all of the above, I went with another steel tank. At less than $30, I figured I can change my mind in future if I want to. That's not to say the fiberglass tanks aren't nice though. I was close. It was #3 that put me over the edge.

Raya
Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
One way I have lightened my load on our trailer/tow combination is to lose almost 25 lbs in the last while. Between my wife and me, we hope to be hauling about 40 less pounds by next year some time. Not as easy as buying a lighter propane bottle, but the side benefits are much better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #27

Quote:
One way I have lightened my load on our trailer/tow combination is to lose almost 25 lbs in the last while. Between my wife and me, we hope to be hauling about 40 less pounds by next year some time. Not as easy as buying a lighter propane bottle, but the side benefits are much better.
It's like riding a high-end bicycle and looking to save a few more grams of weight. Titanium and carbon fiber gets really expensive compared to the cost of shedding a couple of pounds off the rider!

Parker
Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #28

Quote:

Raya
Raya,

I've been through much the same thought process and may well end up with the same decision, much as I like that glass tank. Just removing one propane tank will make a significant difference at no additional cost. We can continue our practice of relying on our little five-pound camp stove tank as a reserve source, should the twenty-pounder run out.

Parker