Best ways to lighten the load? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Lynn,

I bet I can live without a water heater to save the 30lb

Old 11-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well, what it really boils down to is that I am a newbie to towing so I'm probably overly cautious and just looking for options in case I need them. Thanks for all the help. The Nissan is rated to 3500 so I should be good. I might just have to tame some of my driving habits.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #31

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
If you go online to parts vendors sites you can see the shipping weight for various components like fridges and water heaters, etc.

I would not strip a trailer because when you want to sell it buyers will want it equipped. Also hot water and good food and drinks are awfully nice to have.

I towed our first TT with a Chev S-10 with a 2.8 engine. Our trailer was a 16' stick built rated at 2,000#. I never did know the horsepower rating of that truck. We ran it from FL to Seattle and back, Nova Scotia and back and then moved to Aridzona. No killer problems.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #32

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I would not strip a trailer because when you want to sell it buyers will want it equipped. Also hot water and good food and drinks are awfully nice to have.
Well re-sale is one thing, but to me the key is that one's vehicle is rated to tow a certain amount, generally for a reason, and so unless you want to get a different vehicle, you are limited to that amount, plain and simple.

So one might have to either go without certain luxuries, or get a different tow vehicle.

It all comes down to the weight vs. the rating.

So in trying to lighten the load, a person is usually trying to get into a trailer that is close to the rating, but yet not go over, which is a valid enterprise, I think.

Anecdotally towing an unsafe load with no problems: It's a good thing that there were no problems, but that doesn't mean it is categorically safe, in my opinion.

Raya