bias ply or radial tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
bias ply or radial tires

I need to replace two tires and buy a rim and tire for a spare but I don't know which is better bias ply or radial tires for my little campster? Anyone?
AstroMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
For a light weight trailer the tire technology is not important. Get the cheapest one.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
bias ply or radial tires

I run cheap, off-brand bias ply tires on my small, local-use-only utility trailer, but I prefer to use good quality ST radials from a well-regarded brand (Goodyear, Maxxis, Carlisle, Kumho) on my molded travel trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Radial, 6-ply minimun, speed rated to your driving habit. Upgrade to 14” rims and tires, for your long journey.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Never P (passenger) radials. The sidewalls are too flexible, which can exacerbate sway. Stick with ST (special trailer) or perhaps LT (light truck) radials. Both have stiffer sidewalls for carrying loads. The latter is much debated with some arguing they are built to a higher quality standard resulting in fewer defects and premature failures. Since LT’s only come in larger sizes, I’ve always used ST’s from a reputable brand with no issues. I don't see much advantage for a small 13'er to justify the cost, but perhaps for a larger, heavier trailer on which you put a lot of miles each year.

Technically, radials don’t have ply ratings, but they do have load ratings ranging from B to E. For a 13’ trailer you’ll want load range C, which I think is equivalent to a 6-ply, unless you do a lot of off-roading.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We use st tires on our 19 ft. Sticky 5th wheel, but our boler sits on passenger car tires for the same reason the about post doesn't recommend them. The side walls are flexible and give the trailer a little smother ride. We have had our boler across Canada, up and down the west coast several times, never a problem with sway or wear. Sway or wear problems are most likely alignment problems.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #7

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
tires

I've pulled my 16-ft Scamp FB/SD more than 80,000 miles since 2010 and these are the tires used. I now have Goodyear Endurance ST 205/75 R 14. And yes I did upgrade to a 14-in tire for better performance.

Tow Master ST 175 / 80 13 C, 15,172 miles
Hi Run ST 205 / 75 R 14 C, 9,087 miles
Master Track ST 205 / 75 R 14 C, 29,284 miles
Goodyear
Marthon ST 205 / 75 R 14 C, 16,440 miles
Scamp OEM Tires ST 175 / 80 13 D, 1,558 miles
Goodyear
Endurance ST 205 / 75 R 14 D, 9,584 miles

TOTAL MILES 81,125 miles

Most traveling has been highway driving at 65 M/H

Best advice is keep tires aired up and balance before a long trip.

The will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollar in the long run
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattopuin64 View Post
Scamp OEM Tires ST 175 / 80 13 D, 1,558 miles
Most traveling has been highway driving at 65 M/H
Scamp does not make tires.. the ones they put on my new 2015 were Greenball brand and one disintegrated at about four years of actual age at 65 MPH (or M/H if you prefer). You were wise to limit the mileage to 1558 with the low quality tires that they likely were.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
For a light weight trailer the tire technology is not important. Get the cheapest one.
Cheap gets you poor quality. Buy the best tires you can afford.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
Good tires are the best insurance you will ever buy.

I vote with using good-quality trailer-rated radial tires with the correct load rating or one load range higher. Note also that 6 years is the rated lifespan for most tires; the rubber dries out, loses traction, and is less resilient to impacts. The consequences of cheap or old tires not stopping or blowing up on you are many kinds of dangerous and expensive. Good tires are the best insurance you will ever buy.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
bias ply or radial tires

On most trailers the “correct” or OEM load range includes a substantial margin. But it never hurts to check.

The combined tire rating on the 13” C-rated radials on my Scamp 13 is 2720# (1360# x 2 at 50 psi). Most Scamp 13’s fall in the 1500-2000# range with about 200# on the hitch, and the axle rating is 2200#.

A Campster is typically lighter than a Scamp. I see no necessary reason to install a larger tire or a higher load range unless desired for appearance or heavy off-road use.

I will have to respectfully disagree with Fred regarding passenger radials. Sidewall flex is not a desirable thing on a trailer tire. That’s the function of the axle and springs, not the tires. I have read at least two threads in which sway and/or rocking behavior in a small rear-entry trailer was corrected by switching from P to ST radials.

Feel free to discuss it with your tire shop manager, though.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #12

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
Lightbulb Tires, cheap vs expensive

I have always ran the "Quality vs Pain Rule":

My tires (for everything)are directly related to the limits of my insurance policies and the number of bandaids I'll need!!!

Why on earth would I run cheap tires at highway speed on something that could seriously injure or kill me or someone else?

Local low speed or farm, that's different.

Just my way of thinking a few bucks more can make all the difference in peace of mind over the life of the tire.

Especially on single axle trailers.

Radials for highway - Bias for off road ~ IMO

Here is what Mirage Trailers has to say:

http://www.miragetrailers.com/bias-p...ial-tires.html

Happy Trails!
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
KY
Tires

Don't forget to always have a spare which is the same as the tires. Occasionally rotate with the other two tires.
1. In addition, ensure that your rig has "A WORKING JACK WITH CORRECT SIZE LUG WRENCH".
2. Make sure the spare has the correct air pressure. (Spare tires are worthless if they don't have air)
Have a safe fun trip. John
Liteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Tires are rotated on cars because they tend to wear out before they time out. They also wear differently on the front than on the back So you get a longer service life of the set by rotating them.

Trailer tires tend to time out before they wear out and they tend to wear all the same regardless of their position on the trailer. So I don't see the value in rotating them.

Just be sure to check the pressure in the spare as you check the rest, so it is ready if you need it.

I also carry a 12v compressor and a plug kit. This can be extremely useful if you just pick up a nail. You can simply plug it and refill. I had a 3/8" bolt puncture one of my truck tires last year in the wilds of Nevada. We were back on the road in 20 minutes and I still had a good spare if needed.

The compressor also allows you to air down on rough backroads for a smoother ride, then air back up when you get back to the highway.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
Lightbulb When to replace those skids.

Old tires are dangerous, regardless of tread depth. While there's no federally sanctioned safety guidance on when a tire is too old to be safe, many manufactures recommend replacement at six years from the date of manufacture.

Every tire has a birth date—the day it was manufactured—and an expiration date that is six years from that manufacture date. Most automobile manufacturers warn drivers to replace vehicle tires after six years.

The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003.

Even if there are no signs of rot, the industry standard is to swap out tires before they hit 10 years old, and some tire companies recommend replacement as early as six years after manufacture.

Here is some info on the proper way to take care of your trailer tires when not in use:

https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/prop...re-not-in-use/

Happy Travels
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #16

North Carolina
Of course the original question was simply...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMark View Post
... which is better bias ply or radial tires for my little campster? ...
and the answers have broadened wildly from that, with some good advice and at least one suggestion that was very bad.

So let me add one more reply that also goes well beyond the original question and that I think is important.. use a TPMS!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #17

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
Radial tires would probably be best due to the newer technology, but bias ply would be fine. Whatever you do, do NOT use passenger car tires! I used them for years without a problem, and then one year the trailer began to sway, progressively getting worse and worse over a short period of time. Thankfully, we got it stopped and made to our campground. Just a word of warning.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #18

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

and the answers have broadened wildly from that, with some good advice and at least one suggestion that was very bad.
Gordon,

I can hardly stand the suspense. Which answer was "very bad"
Old 03-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Gordon,

I can hardly stand the suspense. Which answer was "very bad"
Suspense? I thought it was obvious....

Quote: