bicycle rack - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
bicycle rack

Does anyone have any ideas for atwo bike rack for a 13' scamp tgrailer? Would like to not block view through trailer when towing,as I use that for vision purposes when towing trailer with my street rod.Would one on the back affect tongue weight and towing?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ellis View Post
Would one on the back affect tongue weight and towing?
In a word: yes.

Two bikes, the rack, and whatever hardware you install to can easily add up to 150 pounds or more, and it will lighten the tongue. There's also the handling weirdness of placing the weight even farther away from the wheels.

I know this from carrying just one bike on the back of my Trillium- and it was set much closer to the trailer body than a bike on a regular hitch-mounted rack-with-bike would.

Depending on your configuration, you might be able to compensate/rebalance by putting more weight up front...

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Take a minute to watch this video.

Bailey of Bristol - Caravan Stability Studies

A bike rack on the back is like moving the weights outward in the video.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Can you put the bikes IN the trailer? I hate carrying bicycles on the outside. Too much can go wrong. I spent too much to have couplers installed on the frames of our two 'best' bicycles, so they "break" apart. I have carried them in the storage compartments under the bed in our Trillium 1300. Don't ride as much as we used to, so haven't done that in a couple years, yet it is still possible.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
There is a number of old threads on this topic if you do a search of the site using google option. One that may help is Receiver Mounting 2 Bikes.

I personally dont feel putting bikes on the rear is a great idea - extra weight on the rear is always an issue and I have seen way to many bikes and rakes tossed out onto the roadway by various RV's or followed people that you can see the bikes bouncing up and down on the back and in lots of cases covering up the rear lights. I use to carry mine inside the trailer but put now that I have updated the bikes to newer lighter models & purchased a roof rack for the car. Works well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Registry
There's also the small matter of whether your bumper can not only bear the extra weight, but withstand the twisting caused by leverage on the bumper.

Here's a link to a very lengthy discussion at another forum on the perils of adding things to trailer bumpers, most of which are designed to carry no more than a hundred pounds or less. It begins with an account by a former "Look what I carry back there!" guy of the very close call he had with a load that probably didn't weigh even that much.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Overloaded rear TT bumper fails...

Francesca
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Most people can't see the bikes when they're on the rear of the trailer. How many coolers and lawn chairs that are busted up that you have seen along side the road because they fell off some RV? And, then there's road rash. Are they good bikes?

Maybe this would work for you?
Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRake-1.jpg   InsideBikeRake-2.jpg  

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
We carry two bikes on the rear of our trailer with no problems at all. I do make certain I shift the weight of other heavier cargo forward to compensate and keep the tongue weight over 10%.

Total weight is just over 100 lbs. I did notice it a bit before shifting weight, especially when on the interstate at 120 kph (75 mph). I don't use a WDH, and that would likely help the effect a bit.

I have carried bikes inside, but that is just too much of a pain dealing with them, especially when making a quick stop.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We carry two bikes on the rear of our trailer with no problems at all. I do make certain I shift the weight of other heavier cargo forward to compensate and keep the tongue weight over 10%.

Total weight is just over 100 lbs. I did notice it a bit before shifting weight, especially when on the interstate at 120 kph (75 mph). I don't use a WDH, and that would likely help the effect a bit.

[
The Escape is offered with a bike rack option- I presume that means that its frame/bumper has/have been designed to carry the extra load.

The same is not necessarily true of other trailers, especially the older, lighter ones that many members here own.

Francesca
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Yes, it is designed to carry the load. I would imagine that if properly installed by either welding or bolting onto the frame, this could be done in a proper way for most trailers.

Definitely would not do a bumper mount.

Rooftop would be a good consideration, but we often have a canoe on top. Plus, when not using the trailer, a hitch mount bike carrier is way better than rooftop. The rooftop ones really increase wind resistance, and there have been many incidences where owners forgot about them and struck something overhead. Though, on the rear of a trailer one does have to remember they are there when reversing into a site. I know I forgot a couple times and came close to smooshing them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #11

Name: Rick
Trailer: In the Market
Bike Rack Wobble

I have put a 4 bike rack on the rear of my full size van with 4 bikes and it makes a huge difference in the handling. The van squats and with the bikes moving a little bit it causes the whole vehicle to wobble a bit.

Many of the receiver racks will allow a little bit of wobble of the rack. Do everything you can to keep the bikes from being able to swing or flex at all.

There are hitch racks you can put on your vehicle that will still allow you to pull a trailer at the same time.

Roof racks on your tow vehicle will cause a significant decrease in gas mileage, sometimes more than the addition of the trailer.

Rick

Bike Parts Quick
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
I know at least Swagman (not sure of other bike rack makers) does not approve of the 4 bike racks on the rear of a trailer.

I have an anti-rattle hitch on my bike rack (similar to the one on the tow), that takes out all the wobble. There is still a bit of flex in the rack itself, but nothing too bad at all.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #13

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
you could still see through the bikes, Of course this 13 is a front bath...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 013.jpg   DSCF0045.JPG  

Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #14

Name: Rick
Trailer: In the Market
Not Approved for Trailers

I have owned/managed a bicycle shop since 1980. Several years ago I tried to find a bicycle rack that was approved to go on the back of a trailer. All of the major brands (Swagman, Thule, Allen, etc) at that time would void their warranty if you used their rack on a trailer. I believe it is because anything on a trailer will take much more of a beating when going down the road. A rack I had sold a lot of and put on the back of a lot of cars bent down and became useless on the back of a trailer with two bikes on it.

I don't know why.

Rick