bifold - right swing - left swing ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2009, 03:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Thumbs up

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about making a screen door. The obvious options are bifold - right swing - left swing - rollup or what ever else one can dream up. I had thought about velcro as well. So far to bug proof our trailer I have replaced the screens on the windows added a roof vent with a new screen and rebuilt the original roof vent screen. we like the air changes an open door provides just not the pesky visitors.

I am trying to find out the pro's and con's of the options before I discover them for myself after building all the stuff to make a reliable door. (actually it may be a lot easier not to invent the wheel!)

I am posting this on the Boler site as well

Thanks,

Marty
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
We have used one of these

http://www.bugoffscreen.com/

For years. even if there is a small gap at the bottom the bugs can't figure that out.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Natural way would be right swing. Best way would be left swing, then it would be against the closet.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Marty, If your settled on using Bifold then just make it and then after mounting the hinges to the door take in and see which way would work before mounting the hinges to the trailer. try it on the right then just flip the door upside down to try it on the left, make the decision and then mount it. thats the nice part about bi fold, there is really no left or right unless you have a fancy design on one end.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have this bug screen on our Frech doors - not so much to keep out bugs but to protect the doors from the lawn mower. They work good. I do not know if the sizes will fit you needs but there is some adjustment. It is neither bi-fold, left or right. Decision solved.

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemType...&itemID=285

Good luck

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
We velcro'd screening material inside above the door and weighted it down with thin washers. It isn't fancy, but is removeable for when it is too cool for bugs (which is often in Alberta!). And it isn't a tight fit either - but we rarely get bugs in the Boler from around the edges- if they do get in, it is when we are going through the door. I am attempting to attach pictures to this posting - my first attempt at that so I apologize in advance if it doesn't work.
Dianne

Attached Images

Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Marty,
I am starting to see these mounted on trailers now, wish I had thought of it, I am including the link but I do not know if they are the supplier for the doors I am seeing or is an RV out fit making custom sizes out there?...They do come in several sizes, the one here is size small but no measure I can find.

Harry

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...03+90401+529398
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
We have the retractable screen door on our 19 foot Escape and really like it. Our previous trailer had the bifold and we found there was a lot of movement in it when travelling. It left black marks on the lino where it rubbed. Go retractable if you can.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote