Big Foot Window repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Name: Villy
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 5th wheel
Alberta
Big Foot Window repair

Most of the windows in our bigfoot (26ft 5th wheel) appear to be of tempered , shaped glass, with a aluminum "frame" along one end of the glass. The frame in one of the windows has come loose and needs to be re-attached.

What should I use to fasten the frame to the glass (silicone ???)

Villy
VillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Villy I would use butyl tape 3/8 X 1/16 if there is room, if not use butyl chalk. This is what we used when RVs came into our shop. We always hated to see one come in that silicone was used on.
Cheers
Doug
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #3

Alberta
Butyl Tape

Can't find this in the RV catalog...
Any suggestions where I should look ??

Thanks

Villy
Old 09-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Alberta
Big Foot window question

I should have provided some more details.

The window is a slider. The moveable part is a sheet of glass with an aluminum metal h channel on the one side. Are we on the same page ???
Old 09-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Hi Villy
Sorry I was on a different page, for what you are doing silicone is good.
Cheers
Doug
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Sounds like the channel is acting as a chip guard protector for the edge of the glass. That edge is always on the inside of the fixed pane. Just a few areas of clear caulk in the bottom of the channel will be sufficient. By a few areas I mean a small area of caulk at each end and a couple of areas towards the center. Don't over do it with continuous caulking. The channel should not be almost impossible to remove because potentially it could be put onto a new piece of glass should that pane ever get broken.

I myself might choose to get a small tube of Lexel for the job if you don't have use for a big supply of caulk. The reason for choosing Lexel is that it is handy to have in your emergency on the road repair kit. It is not silicone based, it does work with glass, fiberglass, vinyl, rubber and aluminum. It will stick to damp surfaces which is why it is just right for an emergency repair kit if you get a leaky spot in a rain storm. It is crystal clear and it dries quickly. The tube of material can even go through freezing and still be used afterwards. It does come in small squeeze tubes. Sold at local hardware stores and at big box Home Center stores most everywhere. They advertise it as the duct tape of caulks
http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote