Bigfoot 17' and bunk beds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thumbs down

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the weight rating is for the top bunk over the rear/side gaucho in a 1995 Bigfoot 17?? This is the pretty much the floor plan:

Click image for larger version

Name:	floor_trailers2500_25B175G.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	8794

Is this able to be confirmed by any Bigfoot printed material or in a manual?
Also, does the rear gaucho/side bath model have the same type of overhead bunk as this model?

Thank you

EDIT: also wondering what the standard equipment would have been originally for the bunk cushion/mattress? Was it an option or standard?

Help, I'm ready to make a deal on this unit, but I really need to know the bunk rating first.
My son is gaining weight as I type!

Lainey
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Lainey, I may not be of much help, but the "bunk" in my friend's '93 19' G model Bigfoot is really just a fold-down cabinet and doesn't look particularly stout at all. I'd be hard-pressed to trust it to hold a live person of any size.

That said, perhaps either someone can give you the specs, or absent that, give Bigfoot a call and see what they say about it!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #3

I emailed Bigfoot about this. This is the info if anyone else needs it:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Bigfoot products. The "covert-a-bunk" on the model that you are inquiring about was standard, however, the mattress was an option. The bunk itself was made for a child only, in the 50 lb range. I hope that this information helps you out?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
We had a 1993 17' G and thought that the bunk would not hold our 10yr old grandson.
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
We had a 1993 17' G and thought that the bunk would not hold our 10yr old grandson.
But with all the clever modifications that people do... could a reinforced one be installed that would bear more weight? Just a thought... Good luck, Lainey!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
But with all the clever modifications that people do... could a reinforced one be installed that would bear more weight? Just a thought... Good luck, Lainey!
Of course that was the FIRST thought I had too! Hmm... still thinking, haven't come up with anything concrete yet. We might have to give up on the idea of the fulltime beds.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Oh no, Lainey. Don't use concrete it would make your trailer much too heavy.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
My thought would be using something like household bunkbeds - possibly cut down to fit the space.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
My thought would be using something like household bunkbeds - possibly cut down to fit the space.
Yeah... don't know if you have an Ikea furniture store where you are, but I would imagine they would have something clever and lightweight that might work well (and be affordable).
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #10

The first thing I thought was to take out the gaucho and the upper bunk cab and put in one of those metal futon bunk beds where the bottom bunk is larger and folds up for a daybed/couch (not sure if the bottom bed would fit beside the bathroom widthwise or not).

Quote:
Yeah... don't know if you have an Ikea furniture store where you are, but I would imagine they would have something clever and lightweight that might work well (and be affordable).
We do have Ikea in Alberta. On their website it shows some loft beds. I'm thinking if something like that could be installed proud of the o/h cabs, provided it fit over the lower gaucho bed when extended, this could really reduce the amount of modification/demolition necessary to make that work. The one in the link weighs 127lbs (incl. packaging). The loft bed may have to have the legs cut down to reduce to height for enough headroom while on the bunk...

Bunk bed! Or else a bunch of bunk

This one should support my 9 year old!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The floor plan of that 17' Bigfoot is essentially the same as the Boler B1700SGH, and the style and capacity of over-gaucho bunk seems similar. The B1700RGH is the same thing, with the same bunk, but with the gaucho and bunk across the back.

As I recall, Chester had a B1700RGH with the gaucho made into a permanent bed, and the convertible cabinet/bunk replaced by a more substantial bunk. Description, Ches?

My B1700RGH has the cabinet/bunk, with cushion, and the cushion is a single piece, shaped to the curved-corner space, and probably less than 2" thick even when it was new. I wouldn't make anyone sleep on it, and a good tent-camping pad would be better. It was clearly for small children, and some owners have reported using these bunks, but it is only for light kids.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
The floor plan of that 17' Bigfoot is essentially the same as the Boler B1700SGH, and the style and capacity of over-gaucho bunk seems similar. The B1700RGH is the same thing, with the same bunk, but with the gaucho and bunk across the back.

As I recall, Chester had a B1700RGH with the gaucho made into a permanent bed, and the convertible cabinet/bunk replaced by a more substantial bunk. Description, Ches?

My B1700RGH has the cabinet/bunk, with cushion, and the cushion is a single piece, shaped to the curved-corner space, and probably less than 2" thick even when it was new. I wouldn't make anyone sleep on it, and a good tent-camping pad would be better. It was clearly for small children, and some owners have reported using these bunks, but it is only for light kids.
My kid is about 55lbs and is using the upper bunk with a brand new foam cushion with 2" foam... My wife was thinking he needed thicker foam but I wanted the rail that I built for the bed to still be effective, so we went with the 2"... Well, I checked and he's so light that he barely compresses the 2" foam so I think it's plenty...

The strength of the bed is also relatively decent... The ends are made of 2 pieces of 5/8" plywood glued together (I think, or maybe 3/4"?) and the bed base goes all the way through one wall (and makes a shelf on the other end)... I wouldn't crawl up there myself (230lbs) but it seems easily strong enough to hold 55lbs or more... When he's up there, there is no noticeable sag of the bed...

http://www.beer.org/gallery/Boler17-refresh/P1010707

Here's the rail I made for it. I probably adds a lot of stiffening to that half of the bunk.

http://www.beer.org/gallery/Boler17-refresh/IMG_5454

My son likes it and we like it because we get to keep the dinette as a dinette and is a large part of the reason we bought the trailer... By the time he's old enough to not sleep in the upper bunk, he will either want to sleep in a tent or probably want to hang out with his loser girlfriend and have parties in my house while I'm out camping.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Greg,

I hope your room is very nice...

Go there now.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
On my way....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #15

Quote:
On my way....
And take your concrete with you!

Name:   16.gif
Views: 62
Size:  7.8 KB
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Noooo, Greg A. send your concrete here. Then my Bigfoot won't bog down in my gravel driveway!

Lainey, very nice looking layout on that Bigfoot. I'm betting it wouldn't be too hard to come up with some sort of telescoping legs that could store easily and be put in place when the bed is in use.
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Lainey, very nice looking layout on that Bigfoot. I'm betting it wouldn't be too hard to come up with some sort of telescoping legs that could store easily and be put in place when the bed is in use.
Actually I am thinking that although this could be workable, the center bath may be even better to rig up a more substantial bunk bed because the bathroom door won't be in the way. (plus the larger rear window would be nice too)

BTW I didn't get this Bigfoot, it was already sold... Still looking
Old 07-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... Well, I checked and he's so light that he barely compresses the 2" foam so I think it's plenty...

The strength of the bed is also relatively decent...
The problem with my original cushion is more the age and material than the thickness, which is why a good camping pad would be better than mine. I'm sure 2" of good foam would be suitable.

The weak part of this setup appears to me to be the cabinet front which folds down. The doors in the front then get covered by a very thin piece of plywood. A better platform would be needed for a larger occupant.

There is a structure extending to the floor like Herb describes in the rear gaucho version as well, so the bunk is not supported by the fiberglass shell. I think this is an important point: a bunk of any serious capacity needs this kind of support, and while it is already there in th B1700, it could be added to other trailer layouts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Heres a real bunk.Good for 500lbs plus.
Attached Thumbnails
B1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Heres a real bunk.Good for 500lbs plus.
Ches, is that picture the one you built in your 1700? Looks solid! How is it attached along the sides?

PS, maybe we need to split this thread into a 'Bunk Bed' topic?

Tags
bigfoot