Bigfoot 19' floor replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Bigfoot 19'
British Columbia
Bigfoot 19' floor replacement

Looks like I will be needing to replace the floor in our new to us Bigfoot 19. Anyone have any suggestions what am I in for? Has there been a thread that I missed in this regard?

Richard

Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Are you referring to the vinyl, or carper, or do you have structural issues with the plywood. If it is a structural issue, photos would help.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

Name: Richard
Trailer: Bigfoot 19'
British Columbia
floor

the ply underneath the click lock flooring the previous owner seems to be rotten. I'm finding dry rot on the edges of the plywood under the dinette seats and back behind the water tank. The floor is quite soft near the table.

I'm hoping to get some insight as to how the ply is attached in the floor, what thickness it is. I'm thinking of taking the project on in November when our Vancouver island camping season is over. I would like to have it done before Feb so that we are ready for steelheading etc.

Richard
Old 08-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The plywood flooring in my 1980 17' is 1/2". On top is 1/8" of original linoleum, then plywood, then Styrofoam about 7/8" and a bottom layer underneath about 1/4" thick. Bottom layer is brown and unknown type.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
From looking at my trailer, the bottom half of the trailer is molded very similar to the top, so the bottom is fiberglass with a gel coat finish on the outside, underneath. Bigfoot floor problems are not too common. The fiberglass has plywood on top. Tom's 1980 has Styrofoam under the plywood and it sounds like it is between the fiberglass and the plywood.. I don't know if mine has foam or not.

In any event, the first thing I would do would be tear out the vinyl and get down to the plywood. It sounds like you ill have to remove the dinette seat bases to get to the plywood. Then remove any rotted plywood. If you have foam between the fiberglass and plywood it should be pretty easy to separate the rotted wood.

This is a new area for most of us Bigfoot owners so let us know what you find.

Make sure any leaks have been repaired. A leaky water tank, pipe fitting or window is what started the problem.

Tags
bigfoot