Bigfoot - Question about separation on the roof - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #15

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Gene, do a search here on "bigfoot delamination" " roof delamination", it was and is a problem... usually on 1980's models not the newer year that you are looking at.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Liz if I am not mistaken the Bigfoot delamination issue involved trailers 25' or a bigger one? they made for awhile which were not molded fiberglass?

The smaller sized Bigfoot trailers where then and still are actually molded fiberglass and built in a fiberglass mold so delamination wasnt/isnt an issue.

EDIT TO ADD: I think what Bigfoot for a time use a system they called Fibercore on their bigger units and motor homes. Trailers that were build using that system have fibreglass caps on the front and rear edges of the roof.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #17

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Hi Carol, actually the Bigfoots are "laminated layers". The fiberglass can come unglued from the foam insulation. For the life of me I can't get the search to work, there are several threads about roof repairs done on them.

found some posts...
Bigfoot roof delamination

Bigfoot Roof Delaminating

Bigfoot with interior roof damage....

Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Hi Carol, actually the Bigfoots are "laminated layers". The fiberglass can come unglued from the foam insulation. For the life of me I can't get the search to work, there are several threads about roof repairs done on them.
Well that can be said for Scamps as well as the insulation also comes unglued on the inside from the fiberglass mold.

When I think of the term "delamination" in regards to trailers I associated that with the main outer layer composite which can impact the seal/water tightness not so much what may be glued to it on the inside.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #19

Name: Gene
Trailer: In the market
Florida
I guess the un-glueing is what is going on with this specific one. Thank you for posting the threads about roof separations Liz. Very helpful.

Not sure how to approach this camper, if I should run, or if its no big deal. I could not see leaks inside, other than the 2 distinct folds of carpet on the inside ceiling. NO idea what those are, but no water stains...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #20

Name: Gene
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Here is a picture of a fold on the interior ceiling that I am suspicious about.
Anyone know if this is water damage? Or does it come like this from the factory?
Attached Thumbnails
roof.jpg