Black streaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Thumbs up

Now that I've had my Scmp for 6 months or so and have been reading all kinds of ways to remove black streaks, I have a question? Are black streaks just dirt that shows up on white fiberglass? I wipe them off and add wax and they are not that hard to get rid of but is there a way to stop them? Never heard of these until I got my egg.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Your roof is essentialy flat, even if it has a slight curve (Does this make sense?)

It collects dust, dirt, road poop and tree leavings. When it rains, all the grunge from this stuff sitting up there drips down the roof and onto the sides of the trailer.. leaving.. black gooey streaks.

Your car would do the same thing, but it moves more often and most likely gets washed more often, so it isn't a problem.

Think of a car that has been sitting forever. They have black streaks too.

The white surface of your egg makes a lovely contrast for this slime.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought some black streak remover from the RV store...removes the "slime" as Gina so eloquently called it....along with all the WAX! Oh well, lesson learned. Wax on, wax off. If you use this stuff, be very careful where you spray...or you're liable to do the same thing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
I have a revolving scrub brush that connects to the water hose and removing the streaks only takes a minute. It has a five foot handle and reaches up quite high.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Most of the black streaks on mine are from the aluminum oxidation running off with the rain water. If you clean the aluminum shiney and then wax the devil out of it, the streaks will stop, for a while anyway, until it starts all over again.
I guess coating the aluminum with some sort of clear coat would work too.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Old trailers like mine with aluminum windows, have this problem whenever exposed to rain or a lot of moisture like heavy dew. The best way to keep maintenance to a minimum is to make sure you have a appropriate layer of fiberglass wax on your trailer.

If you have an old trailer with a worn gelcoat and little or no wax, they are spray fiberglass cleaners that take the stains off instantly. It's hard to believe but I used it when I first got my trailer and it removed them like magic, poof! But these cleaners also remove wax. So I would think it's best to keep your trailer waxed and the stains should come off easy.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote