Boler axle angle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 75 Boler 1300
Hi, I just bought a 1975 13ft Boler. Bringing it home it seamed to bounce quite abit and at times jerk my truck. So after searching this and other forums it seams as though it's bottoming out and the axle is shot. It looks like Cerka would be the place to get one for me. A #9 Torflex.

So as for my question, there is a lot of talk about start angles. But I don't know what the original start angle is. Since I an likely to be take our Egg down some rough roads, I'd like to get as much clearance as the trailer can safely handle. Does any one have any recomendations on start angles?

Thanks in advance

Michael
Michael Dowdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: How much clearance do you have between the top of the tire and the wheel well??? Can you put your fist on top of the tire and still have room above it??? Or is the tire rubbing the wheel well. There should be slightly less on the sink/fridge side as there is more weight on that side of the trailer Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi: How much clearance do you have between the top of the tire and the wheel well??? Can you put your fist on top of the tire and still have room above it??? Or is the tire rubbing the wheel well. There should be slightly less on the sink/fridge side as there is more weight on that side of the trailer Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi Alf

I can just fit my fist between the tire and the wheel well, about 3.5". It's the same on both sides as the is no fridge, stove or sink in our Egg. It came with a furnace that since has been removed. The trailer was for the drive back and is now empty. When it is full with our gear I expect it will sit even lower. What do you think?

Michael
Old 04-17-2007, 02:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I am no expert on axle's our '77 has as far as I know the orig. one with lots of bump room above the tires...Can you tell if the tires have been scraping the fiberglass up in the wheel wells. Our trailer has a bolt on trailing arm axle with rubber ride suspension and for some reason they always seem to look low...I think it's the way the wheel openings are cut Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. coinky dink I worked with a Mike Dowdall in the car biz in the 80's
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
About the bouncing and jerking on the highway.....are you sure that you aren`t tongue light?.....this will cause a lot of jerking and noise as the coupler latch tries to lift off of the ball......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #6

Thanks Guys

I'll try putting some weight in it and see what room there is over the wheels. Then take it out for a bump down a rough road.

Alf, not sure who you worked with but I have never worked in the car biz. Dowdall is not a very common name outside of Ireland or Smith's Falls. Couldn't tell you who it was you worked with, all my relatives are across the Atlantic.

Michael
Old 04-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It may just be that you don't have enough weight in it to move the suspension system properly -- If you've ever towed an empty boat trailer down a rough road you'll know what I mean...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, boler