Boler popcorn ceiling query - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 AM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Boler shopping
British Columbia
Boler popcorn ceiling query

Hello,

Okay my wife and I are shopping for a fiberglass trailer preferably a 17' Boler and we have found one in great shape for a reasonable price , the one issue I have with it is the popcorn like ceiling .....lets just say im not a fan of popcorn ceilings .

I've seen plenty of info on how to get rid of them if you are gutting a trailer but haven't come across anything about just doing the ceiling , is it even feasible to just redo the ceiling without pulling out all of the cabinets and whatnot ?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated , Thanks, Bryan
AngryCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Bryan,

Welcome! If what you're talking about is that spray on popcorn ceiling people put in their homes, I'm right there with you. Not a fan. Gonna be a messy job, and although I can't comment on how to get it out insomuch as cabinets are concerned, my worry for you is they may have put that up there to hide a malady of ills- meaning leaks. Or they might not have had the skill to do something better. It's not stained or sagging is it? Did the owner you are buying from put it up? Maybe he could answer questions about how he did it. I would THINK they only sprayed up to the cabinets, not under them. Other folks more skilled than I will be to the rescue soon, but my concerns are as written.

Best wishes,
Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks for the welcome and the reply , actually just has a similar appearance to popcorn ceiling, it came this way from the factory as this is the second one I have seen that had this,, its just regular foam underneath a white popcorn like membrane .
Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What your talking about is called Ensolite, or elephant hide. It is difficult to remove, and there is no better replacement. The modern alternative is Reflectex, and hull liner, (rat fur). Not easy to install either.

Ensolite is considered by some, (me) to be the ideal fiberglass trailer liner. It's purpose is mostly to keep the condensation down. It also serves to keep light from leaking through the fibreglass and to help with the sound of rain hitting the shell.

What do you want to use instead?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

British Columbia
Well I was going to blaze a trail lol , I was thinking of using two layers of a 3mm closed cell foam foil back sound deadening flooring underlay , I've thought about it from every angle I can come up with and don't see why it wouldn't work ..... I'll try and post a pic later ....if I can figure out how

The wife is telling me to let this go if we want a Boler and she's the smart one so......

Tags
boler