Boler Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
What is the textured wall insulation called and can i buy this in Ontario , Canada ? I need enough to replace most or all of it in my 1974 boler . The previous owner drilled many holes through the fiberglass and insulation for various things . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Perry
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Perry... The interior wall covering is called Ensolite, nick named (Elephant Hide). I believe that it is still made today. If the holes in it are small, the seams and patches can be filled with DAP paintable caulking and textured with a wet sponge or paper towel and the whole surface can be painted with Acrylic Latex kitchen and bath paint. It might take a couple of layers of filling to do the job ...but will be much easier than replacing/regluing new wall covering.
I found a great resource in Scamp Trailers and they do sell a marine, nick named (Rat Fur) type covering for the walls.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Google ensolite and you should come up with the current US maker of it or a similar material.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've found companies that sell Ensolite (or like) foam, although I haven't found any that sell it with the off-white vinyl "skin" that's on the inside of the Boler. That said, it is paintable.

I spoke with IR Specialty Foam, in Washington, when I was thinking about buying a "bare" trailer. Another member who re-insulated an entire Boler used the foam from them. It's black, and comes in varying densities and thicknesses (I believe the original Boler is 3/16" although I'm not sure of the density).

If you do find any with the "white" vinyl finished side, could you please report back to the board? It would be nice to know a source for that.

Raya

PS You can find IR Specialy Foam and another source under "Ensolite" (one trade name) in the "Helpful Links" area to the left.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Quote:
I've found companies that sell Ensolite (or like) foam, although I haven't found any that sell it with the off-white vinyl "skin" that's on the inside of the Boler. That said, it is paintable.

I spoke with IR Specialty Foam, in Washington, when I was thinking about buying a "bare" trailer. Another member who re-insulated an entire Boler used the foam from them. It's black, and comes in varying densities and thicknesses (I believe the original Boler is 3/16" although I'm not sure of the density).

If you do find any with the "white" vinyl finished side, could you please report back to the board? It would be nice to know a source for that.

Raya

PS You can find IR Specialy Foam and another source under "Ensolite" (one trade name) in the "Helpful Links" area to the left.
Thank you everyone , for this bevy of information .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's another source with a selection of foams in black, grey and natural (which is what I think the Ensolite is, but not sure) .

http://www.rubberplastics.com/equivalency_chart_02.htm

They say they have international stocking, including a Maple Leaf!

http://www.rubberplastics.com/sales.htm

Dunno about 'skin', but samples are available:

http://www.rubberplastics.com/samples.htm
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Just for the record, the Ensolite in my Boler (original) is black with a greyish/off-whitish "skin." You can see the black on the edges if you peel away the seam tape, and also the Ensolite in the storage compartments (on the outside walls) is plain black without the skin.

I did see that you can get it (and/or foams like it - I think Ensolite is a particular trade name) in white though Pete, you're right (just not from IR Specialty Foams).

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler