Boler Tire Sale? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Boler Tire Sale?

What do you think about the suitability of these tires for a Boler?

ST175/80 R13 Trailer Tire Assembly | Princess Auto

The tires in the link are ST 175 80 R13. My current tires (which are beyond their useable lifespan) are P155 80 R13. My understanding is that the tires in the listing are basically 20mm wider then my current ones. Do I have that right?
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks reasonable to me. They are Carlisle tires, which are at least a brand name. The 175 mm width seems to be the minimum that is readily available now.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
That's what we put on our '78 Boler (being rebuilt now) with a new axle. They look great.
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Well then, if there are any Canadians needing new tires, this appears to be a good deal. I have been watching the Princess Auto fliars, and they have been putting trailer tires on sale one size at a time. This is the first sale with a tire size we can actually use. Most of their stock seems to be small utility trailer type stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I was going to repost this sale ad. Looks good. I was curious as to wether the sale was local or not. BC and ON, check. Perhaps it's coast to coast.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
I was going to repost this sale ad. Looks good. I was curious as to wether the sale was local or not. BC and ON, check. Perhaps it's coast to coast.
A phone call may be in order. Usually they specify "online only" sales if the product is not available in store. You could just order them by mail, but I'm guessing the shipping fee would eat up any possible savings. For what its worth, I'm in Ontario and they sent this listing as part of their weekly emailing

Derek

PS. Here is the manufacturer link. This appears to be the smallest practical tire from this manufacturer.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro...wables/tires43
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler
I bought these a few days ago and installed them on my 76 boler. Our axle is pretty worn and they barely fit. The offset on the rims is different from the stock rims by nearly an inch. This only gave me 5/16" clearance on my passenger side wheelwell on the front side of the fender. Even with a new axle it's tight on the passenger side. The drivers side fit fine. I'm going to return them and get the same tires on stock rims with new half moon chromes.
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
What do you think about the suitability of these tires for a Boler?

ST175/80 R13 Trailer Tire Assembly | Princess Auto

The tires in the link are ST 175 80 R13. My current tires (which are beyond their useable lifespan) are P155 80 R13. My understanding is that the tires in the listing are basically 20mm wider then my current ones. Do I have that right?
Partially. You're right on that account, but the 80 is a percentage, so it's also a taller tire. 2x20mm (more) sidewalls x.8 = 32 mm or ~1.25" higher total (5/8" less fender clearance).
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Collins View Post
I bought these a few days ago and installed them on my 76 boler. Our axle is pretty worn and they barely fit. The offset on the rims is different from the stock rims by nearly an inch. This only gave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Partially. You're right on that account, but the 80 is a percentage, so it's also a taller tire. 2x20mm (more) sidewalls x.8 = 32 mm or ~1.25" higher total (5/8" less fender clearance).
Michael, thanks for your note. Jared's math suggests that the tire is actually a little taller too. They are larger diameter in addition to the different offset. These tires and rims are the incorrect size.

Derek
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Actually the diameter isn't all that much bigger. I compared them to my stock tires which were bias ply. I can't remember the exact size of the bias ply. The width is a little bit wider, maybe 3/4". They are nice tires and rims for the price, I just wasn't comfortable with the minimal clearance on the passenger side. I'm not sure if all bolers are exactly the same though.
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Actually the diameter isn't all that much bigger. I compared them to my stock tires which were bias ply. I can't remember the exact size of the bias ply. The width is a little bit wider, maybe 3/4". They are nice tires and rims for the price, I just wasn't comfortable with the minimal clearance on the passenger side. I'm not sure if all bolers are exactly the same though.
Maybe not with what you had, but in general, it will be.

155/80R13 = 22.8×6.1R13
175/80R13 = 24×6.9R13

Tire Size Comparison

With metric tires, as you go up in width, you need to go down on aspect ratio (sidewall height).
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
You make a valid point. There is a lot of variation on these trailers. Add to that the possibility that there may have been changes to the trailer along the way. These tires may fit some trailers better than others. I just spotted these tires in the advert and expected to be able to bolt on and go. It may not be that simple. Fortunately Princess Auto has a generous return policy so it is possible to try them on for size, and return them if it doesn't work out.

Derek
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #13

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Tire Sizing Animation

I found this a while back when we were trying to decide on tire size. Pretty cool web program:

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler