Boler Water Tank Installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm going to get the Polyrama tank suggested in the resources area. My tank was originally under the curbside bench and most the plumbing is missing. There are 4 outlets on the tank, 1 x 1" and 3 x 3/8" as shown below. How is the tank positioned and which outlets are connected to what?

Boler_tank.pdf
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #2

Oops the picture did not post, here is a JPEG of the same:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm_Boler_tank.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	12809
Old 04-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
It came up OK for me. I'll go get the camera and see if I can post a couple of pictures. Be back in a bit.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #4

Name:	Window_cut_outs.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	12812

Name:	spiggot.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	12810

Here's a picture showing the front and rear window cut-outs used to hold the tank in place.It flexes about 1-1 1/2 inches with the weight of the water. Don't know why you couldn't use some wide pieces of aluminum as straps. The FG panels are bolted to 2 pieces of 2/4 glassed into place between the back rails. My tank only has fittings on the drivers side and they are side by side. Older tank I guess. Your extras are probably to give you a choice of sides.. You may want to cap off the extra ones. As you can see I have to get underneath to open the drain cock. I hope to add a short extender one of these days. [Yeah, yeah Honey. I'll get right to it.]
Hope this helps a bit
Jim [from Woodstock]
Attached Thumbnails
water_tank_2x4.jpg  
Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
There are 4 outlets on the tank, 1 x 1" and 3 x 3/8" as shown below.
I think the diagram you posted shows correct positioning.

The largest opening (1" diameter) located near the top is connected to the fill port on the side of the trailer.

The 3/8" opening near the top is for an air vent, either part of the fill port, or separate.

One 3/8" opening near the bottom is connected to the water pump.

The other 3/8" opening near the bottom should have a valve and a drain hose to outside the trailer.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Here's a picture showing the front and rear window cut-outs used to hold the tank in place.
Quote:
I think the diagram you posted shows correct positioning.
Thank you James and Frederick.

From James' picture it looks as though the tank is positioned lenghtwise.

I've been considering putting 2 tanks in cross ways with a little less than 6" to spare between the frame rails and less than 12" from front to rear. Either welding brackets to the frame or dropping long bolts through the floor. I am thinking of setting up the front tank for fresh water and the rear for grey water. (hoping to get different fittings for the grey water)

These tanks do not appear to have any baffles to reduce the water sloshing around while towing. I'm wondering if having the long end of the tank parallell to the axle will have any effect on trailer sway with water in the tank.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #7

Hi Roy
Your new tank will hold 40 litres or aproxamately 100 lbs. That's about 1/2 the size of my original, which is almost square. I like the idea of balancing them front and back but my frame wouldn't accomodate that, as only the rear has the step in the frame. Is parallell and on either side, as close as possible to the axle an option to reduce bounce? I would caution mounting through the floor, That's a lot of weight pulling down on one spot unless you use a large plate on top to spread the load. Frame mounting sounds like a better solution.
I'll look forward to meeting at Emily this year and see the final result.
Jim and joan
Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Roy...Our single tank(ERT 8.25) is mounted cross wise using the window blank and some 2x2's (Very Bolerish) and 4 6" long bolts thru the floor in the stowage bins. I changed the bolts to S/S and replaced the fill hose (Std. R.V. stuff) and the water hose to 60psi (Std. R.V. stuff) and the neoprene vent line runs back up to the fill cup on the side of the trailer. Now I have to replace the drain valve as I squashed it with the pliers last fall.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
That's about 1/2 the size of my original, which is almost square. I like the idea of balancing them front and back but my frame wouldn't accomodate that, as only the rear has the step in the frame. Is parallell and on either side, as close as possible to the axle an option to reduce bounce?
Since my trailer is still up north in storage, I asked Jean L for his measurements.
Quote:
Between the frames is 45” wide x 44 “ front to back
I'm thinking of placing both tanks behind the axle parallel to the axle (as Alf describes) with the grey water closest to the rear. Hopefully I can get Polyrama to supply different fittings for the tank I intend to use for grey water. I'm more likely to tow on the highway with fresh water so keeping it closer to the axle keeps the weight better balanced. OTOH one is more likely able to empty the grey water before hitting the highway.

As for the install, I'll have to move the freshwater fill from rear curbside to mid streetside. I'm thinking of putting a switched 12V outlet where the old fresh water fill exists.

Re: Bolerama ... We've booked site 70 on the Hill. Not intentionally being anti-social but we've got a new pup that were not sure how she'll react camping in the group area. You are welcome to drop on by, chances are I'll be puttering with something and would welcome a break. I'm pretty sure that if we were in the group area I'd be looking for a chance to get some puttering done. Maybe in a couple of years we'll be able to give the group area a try.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Roy... The old fill cup location would be a good spot for a 110V. exterior R.V. recepticle. We always have to have an extension cord run under the trailer.
We will be in site 91 on the hill... not for the dog but for the current bush!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #11

Joan and I will be going back to the Group Site after a couple of years out in the campground. We have met a lot of friends there and we were always spending our time there. Besides the dog loves to meet the people.

Tags
boler