boondocking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Oma

Name: Renee
Trailer: Scamp 16' named Alan
Massachusetts
boondocking

Hi All, we will be doing our first boondocking this weekend. We need to know if there are any suggestions or hints from all of you. Our main concern is that we have to use our bathroom the whole time. In the past we have always used the campgrounds facilities. How does the black water tank get cleaned afterwards? How many days can you boondock before it fills? Does anyone use those double doodie bags? Are they legal?
Also, we would like to have a longer hose for reaching the dump station but the holder is just big enough for the length of hose that came with the trailer. If we got a longer hose, where does one store it?
We have a 16 foot Scamp 2015 and it is just my husband and I traveling.
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma View Post
Hi All, we will be doing our first boondocking this weekend. We need to know if there are any suggestions or hints from all of you. Our main concern is that we have to use our bathroom the whole time. In the past we have always used the campgrounds facilities. How does the black water tank get cleaned afterwards? How many days can you boondock before it fills? Does anyone use those double doodie bags? Are they legal?
Also, we would like to have a longer hose for reaching the dump station but the holder is just big enough for the length of hose that came with the trailer. If we got a longer hose, where does one store it?
We have a 16 foot Scamp 2015 and it is just my husband and I traveling.
First, remind yourself to use public facilities (when available) during the day.
Second, be careful to flush with as little water as practical.
We can usually "go" 4-5 days without the need to empty the black water tank on our Scamp even without extraordinary conservation methods.
You could get a small blueboy to store a single dump if you have the space, which could double your useful time.

Cleaning the black water tank is really simple. Use Odorlos tank treatment to charge the tank before use.
Empty full tank into the dumpstation, close the valve, then fill the toilet and flush with clean water a couple of bowls full. then open the valve and drain the fresh water rinsing the tank and the line.
Remember to drain your gray water last, which will leave the hose clean for storage.
I can't imagine handling a double doodie bag even without a mistake!
Storing a longer hose has been addressed so many ways...
We have made a bumper made of square tubing like the big trailers use.
You can use a plastic tote to store the extra hose.
What ever method you use here is a great hint...
Get a couple of spraypaint can lids, press one lid (top first)into the end of your extra hose, compress the hose to its shortest length, then press the other lid into the other end of the hose. This seals the hose, makes it more compact and easier to handle and store in a smaller space.
It works indefinitely... I have stored them for months without loosing the seal or expanding the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0012.JPG   DSCF0015.JPG  

scamp pictures 005.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
what Floyd said....

and I don't even bother with the 2-3 flushes after emptying the black tank....after the black tank empties I open the grey valve (black valve still open) I then raise the slinky temporarily above the plumbing...drop the slinky, close the black valve and wait for the grey tank to empty completely...that little "hose lift" flushes the black valve clean before I close it

that is it...other than I recommend starting off with enough water in the black tank....the natural tendency would be to leave it completely empty (more storage) but if there is not enough water in there to begin with the chemical can't do it's job....and that's how people get bad smells in their bathroom

half a cup of javex bleach in all drains once in a while (month of use?) will keep ALL your plumbing/tanks smell free as well...

happy motoring
Attached Thumbnails
kitcheng.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
oh...and bleach....

I'm obviously a big fan.......I add a couple of drops of the stuff in the water fill every other other time I fill my fresh water tank.....old habit from years of boating picking water here there and everywhere...works like a charm...never had that very common boating complaint of "smelly" tap water
Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
...after the black tank empties I open the grey valve (black valve still open) I then raise the slinky temporarily above the plumbing...drop the slinky, close the black valve and wait for the grey tank to empty completely...that little "hose lift" flushes the black valve clean before I close it
Works for you, but a single rinse with 3-4 gallons of water works well for the Scamp which has separate gray and black water drains.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
didn't know that....

so you have to move the slinky from one outlet to another when you dump?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Scamp trailers have separate tanks with separate outlets when equipped with both gray and black water tanks. Most people would empty the black water tank first then the gray when at a dumpstation, using the same hose. This gives the hose an additional rinse.
A separate hose could of course be used. You could even use a garden hose to empty the gray water, which we often do when we have on sight sewer.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Yup on Scamps you do. Sounds bad but actually only takes an extra 30 secs or so.

Its actually not a bad thing as it how Scamp is able to keep all the drain piping up a bit higher for more ground clearance than some of the other FG trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
For weekend boondocking (National Forest) trips we don't use the onboard potty, it is not worth finding a dump and doing so. We have separate, portable facilities for those occasions.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #10

Name: David & Debra
Trailer: 69 Boler
Tennessee
Registry
purchase a porta potty and use kittylitter in a bag in the potty..#1and #2's 'it works great ,no smell either.wrap it up and dispose of. great for boondocking, outdoors or indoors especially nighttime pottying for girls.
ddwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwills View Post
purchase a porta potty and use kittylitter in a bag in the potty..#1and #2's 'it works great ,no smell either.wrap it up and dispose of. great for boondocking, outdoors or indoors especially nighttime pottying for girls.
and now they make lightweight kitty litter
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwills View Post
What kind of potty do you have? Do you have a separate room or tent for it? Thanks!
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #13

Name: David & Debra
Trailer: 69 Boler
Tennessee
Registry
got it at walmart,don't have a privy tent yet, so we set it up on the floor. during travel. it is stored under the dinette seat. we aren't bashful. Also if you really want to go booning, try Medicinebow mountains in southern Wyoming. Amazing known area for that kind of camping.
ddwills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking